How was your season?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

How was your spring turkey season

Poll ended at May 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

Best Ever!
18%
Better Than Last Year!
20%
Average Season
33%
Weather Screwed Us
4%
Heard Gobbles
13%
Whats a Turkey?
13%

Total votes: 55

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How was your season?

Post by vaturkey »

Had a great season here in Va . What really made it special was watching my Grandson kill his first gobbler on Youth day & then watching him kill a gobbler the first week of our season. Both birds were over 21 Lbs. It was EPIC !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

vaturkey wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 11:06 am Had a great season here in Va . What really made it special was watching my Grandson kill his first gobbler on Youth day & then watching him kill a gobbler the first week of our season. Both birds were over 21 Lbs. It was EPIC !
Hard to top that!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

good stuff....congrats to you both
you never know, unless you go

David
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

vaturkey wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 11:06 am Had a great season here in Va . What really made it special was watching my Grandson kill his first gobbler on Youth day & then watching him kill a gobbler the first week of our season. Both birds were over 21 Lbs. It was EPIC !
How cool is that! Congrats to the young man! And the older Gentleman, too. :lol:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Yep that’s great. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang Brice, you forgot, worst season ever,.. in your poll.
It was tough this year, to say the least! Very few birds, and the few that was here didn't gobble much, and those that did, didn't react well to hen calls.
Did manage a limit, but Dang!!! I even got a single bearded one that went 70". All in all, was actually glad it's over.
The new little Hot Rod load came through with flying colors. Lily got her heart broke when she whiffed on the only textbook hunt we had the entire season at 20 yards, with the little Leah load. She didn't fully understand that TSS loads have to be shot like a rifle at close range. :mrgreen:
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

I’m done, stick a fork in me. I worked one hen during the entire season and the gobbler did not follow her in tow or I would have scored.

I saw three gobblers on my last morning in NY and they were in the yard of resident homes. By the way, most of my gobbler sightings were in the driveways and yards while I was traveling between hunting areas.

CamoManProStaff-TL

Post by CamoManProStaff-TL »

I’m a little late responding. But I hunted with Camoman4025. He should probably change it to Camoman0000. I’m not even sure we could have killed one in the freezer section at Walmart. Just saying.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

CamoManProStaff-TL wrote: May 31st, 2018, 4:53 pm I’m a little late responding. But I hunted with Camoman4025. He should probably change it to Camoman0000. I’m not even sure we could have killed one in the freezer section at Walmart. Just saying.
Well as you can see that POSER only has 2 post on GN. I believe he isn't even off probation yet.....looks like the ole' BAN HAMMER may drop :violent1: :violent1:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
CamoManProStaff-TL

Post by CamoManProStaff-TL »

CamoMan4025 wrote: May 31st, 2018, 5:01 pm
CamoManProStaff-TL wrote: May 31st, 2018, 4:53 pm I’m a little late responding. But I hunted with Camoman4025. He should probably change it to Camoman0000. I’m not even sure we could have killed one in the freezer section at Walmart. Just saying.
Well as you can see that POSER only has 2 post on GN. I believe he isn't even off probation yet.....looks like the ole' BAN HAMMER may drop :violent1: :violent1:

I dare you. Why haven’t you shared your special gift yet????
BumbleFoot

Post by BumbleFoot »

I rated mine “average” a few weeks ago based on the number of turkeys that I connected with. But...as I reflect with the clarity of hindsight, it was one of the more gratifying seasons I’ve experienced in 42 years of trying to figure them things out.

I met some willing turkeys and maybe few who were suicidal, but my season was punctuated by killing a couple of homefield, hard-ass turkeys that I probably wouldn’t have killed in most years. Mighta been blind luck...

I also traveled to new settings (out of my region) and had new experiences. So yea, it was fun. Big fun. Better than average after all.
Patoad

Post by Patoad »

My pa season was good based on the fact that I killled two birds, but overall there was not much gobbling at all on the northeastern property is hunt, struck the first bird at 10:15 on the first day but it was the only gobble heard that morning. killed my second bird in the western portion of the state where I did hear a couple birds and worked the one I killled 3 day’s in a row before closing the deal. Hunted with buddies after that in central and northeast pa and could not find a bird to work...should leave a lot of birds for next year.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I vote "Above average but not better than last year". The weather ranged from brutally cold to brutally hot. The birds worked fine when it as cold, BUT not when it was hot. I was able to tag out in MO and IA on the cold days, but the KS days were scorchers and shut down their Easterns.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Bwahaha loving the new guy :LMAO:
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 2:39 pm
Bwahaha loving the new guy :LMAO:
Now that would've been depressing not even a Wal mart bird.
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Jekyl and hyde for me, either the easiest birds Ive ever killed or nearly impossible! Took me more days to kill one Missouri bird than my last 5 combined, but every day I hunted Illinois either calling for someone or myself a bird died and one day a double.

Then Got to Nebraska and killed one the first hour, then never saw another tom in 4 days but called in many jakes.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I had a great season. Was blessed with some nice Birds. Got my First Merriam’s Gobbler on May 4 2018 and was blessed with a Second Merriam’s Gobbler the next day May5 2018. It was my first time hunting in New Mexico. It was a awesome place to hunt. The weather was perfect. Hunted with great friends on a nice little ranch just south of Raton, New Mexico. I also got me a Eastern in my home state of NC.
EF4A36AE-042F-4C13-81D1-4323FC62A36A.jpeg
Attachments
9E214E92-3426-4927-974B-7CB511A45692.jpeg
AF973ABF-A064-4C54-81D5-323A50A4AAC5.jpeg
6794E96B-7292-44A6-BA90-E1B660310F68.jpeg
072C0DA9-B3BB-4017-BD88-891B5247A2ED.jpeg
Mike
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Pretty good! Shot three in n Wisconsin on public land. One with the .410 and two with the 20. Shot one in the snow in Illinois public. One in the rain on public Illinois. Shot number three in Illinois on private. Good hunTing and some valuable lessons learned. Can’t wait till next year. All Illinois birds taken with my 20 ga 7.5tss.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”