Russell Moccasin snake boots

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
wingbonehntr

Russell Moccasin snake boots

Post by wingbonehntr »

Been thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of Russell Moccasin snake boots. Hard to spend that much without actually trying some on. Are they worth the money? I’m just tired of spending $200 bucks every couple years on boots that leak, soles come off or don’t fit properly. Thanks
Longspurs

Re: Russell Moccasin snake boots

Post by Longspurs »

I ordered a pair of the Turkey hunter Greenleaf camo boots in October last year.They finally showed up in May. I ordered the boots 10" height because I have a pair of the turtle skin knee high leggings that are very light weight and not nearly as hot as knee high leather. Well they sent the 18" version even though I specifically stated 10" twice on the order form and in a email and talked to one of the boot makers when he called last November trying to talk me into a thicker heavier boot sole. I ordered the thin lightweight soles for quiet walking. Even with all that and 7 months of waiting they send the wrong boots. I emailed and told them it was unexceptable and I wanted a refund. Sent the boots back still waiting on my 600$ I have been wearing a pair of Irish setter bird shooters for a few years they are really light and comfortable and 100% water proof I have waded creeks without a drop getting in. I bought another pair after the Russell's debacle should have done that from the beginning.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Therein lies the rub with custom boots. There is no way to try them on before you buy them. I have a pair of Hart's Turkey Hunters and another pair of Uplands for winter time bird hunting with my two Brittanys. There's a whole lot of lacing to do on the taller versions. I didn't wear them but a few times this season as I was in water where I hunted. The zippered Russells aren't gusseted and water can enter the zipper. For hunting swamps, I used the Turtle Skin gaiters over my rubber boots. Back to the Russell snake boots: Since custom fitted, they are difficult to remove from feet even with the zipper. The laces must be loosened thoroughly for removal. Here's the trick Jason taught me. Rather than having a single long lace, each boot has two sets of laces. First pair from the toe up about 7- 8 sets of eyelets as if they were shorter boots. Second set of laces skips the next one or two eyelet sets above the bottom laces and starts just above the bottom laces and goes to the top. When the boots are first worn with the zipper up all the way, the top set of laces are permanently tied. The bottom set is what is tied/untied when worn. That way, once the zipper is fully down and the bottom laces loosened, the boot is easier to remove and you don't spend a lot of time lacing them up. Here's another trick to compensate for thick wool-type socks which makes for me a hard time putting boots on and off. They tend to make putting boots on and taking off difficult because their texture resists sliding on and off and I have high insteps. I bought a box of nylon footies off Amazon. While sized for women's feet they will stretch and fit over my socked feet up enough to cover the heels almost to my ankles which is what usually hangs up putting boots on and taking them off. Their slick surface makes boot on and off far easier for me. About a $1@ pair and they last a few trips. A dozen pair in a box. Gil
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GK ... UTF8&psc=1
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

About half way through this spring season I bought a pair of the Turtle skins gaiters and wore them over Lacrosse Grange rubber boots. I think this is the ultimate combo if the zippers will last 3-4 years.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

We just have to hope old no shoulders doesn't bite on the heel, toes, etc. that aren't covered by the turtleskin. Gil
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I bought my Turtle skin leggings after last season wore them every day with leather boots....never saw a single snake in 4 states. I usually have at least a couple run ins with moccasins every year I killed two big ones in the exact same spot two years in a row both were trying to bite me when I looked down and saw them. Don't know if the Turtle Skins also repelled snakes or if it is a coincidence.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

I have some in decent shape size 11 that I would sell for $150.
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

What about the Chippewa Boots, I like the American bison leather. They have great reviews but doesn’t say anything about being waterproof
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

GLS wrote: May 15th, 2018, 11:16 am We just have to hope old no shoulders doesn't bite on the heel, toes, etc. that aren't covered by the turtleskin. Gil
Yep, but you know if that is the way the good lord wants to bring me home I will just have to roll with it. lol :D I don't even look down now.
Ksummer

Post by Ksummer »

Older post but PM sent to el Diablo
savduck

Post by savduck »

There is no in between with these boots. Guys either love them or hate them with a passion. I know two guys that bought them and both said they were the most uncomfortable thing they ever wore.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

My newest Russell snake boots are going into their 5th season and they feel like slippers. Mine were comfortable out of the box and get more comfortable over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

I've had a pair for twenty five years + that I'm still wearing. I bought them before there were any other snake boots on the market. I have to recoat the seams every few years with heated/liquified beeswax and then they are good to go. With the goretex liner they do get hot at times. If I was ordering another pair I'd forego the waterproof membrane (that's didn't outlive it's usefulness anyway).

Return to “Gobbler Talk”