2018 New York Spring Turkey Season

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 New York Spring Turkey Season

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 1 – 05/01

Got to the spot above the cemetery at 04:45 with a temp of 30, a bright moon, & no wind. I waited until 07:00 before I started calling. A bird responded way to my west. He responded well & sounded like he was coming. He double gobbled at 07:45 & that was the last I heard from him.

At 09:30, there were 2 quick shots followed by a 3rd shot at 08:35t. They were to my SW & it may have been at “my” bird. At 09:35 there was another shot further to the SW &, at 09:52, another shot from the same area.

Here endith day 1 at 12:00 with the temp up to 73.

Supper was my Squirrel Chowder.

Day 2 – 05/02

I was ready to go at 04:50, temp 50, full moon, & a slight breeze across from The Roost in the small meadow. At 05:20, a bird gobbled below me to my left. At 05:40, another sounded off quite a ways up the hill behind me to my right. Both responded well. Then, 05:31 a dog started barking below me to my right. Both birds stopped gobbling. At 05:40, the gob behind me gobbled & responded to me sounding closer. The @#$%^&*() dog finally stopped barking at05:55!! 24 minutes of none stop barking!!!! Do dogs ever get hoarse??

At 05:57, I spotted movement along the tree line to my left. 2 hens stepped out & started feeding towards me. I was hoping they were dragging along a gobbler. At 06:03, I caught motion to my left & there was a bird in full strut with a really red head. Usually, the hens would have come to check out the new hen (deke) in the neighborhood & the gobbler would have challenged the jake (deke). For whatever reason, all 3 totally ignored the decoys & just kept feeding from my left to right & down the hill to the south tree line. The gobbler was right at the edge of my shooting limit & I chose to not take the shot. They stayed within view for 55 minutes but never getting close enough for a shot.

At 06:15, I called & the bird behind me responded. I called again at 06:35 & he responded again. At 06:47, I called & he answered. From then until 08:30, he went silent. I usually don’t call when I have a bird as close as the 1st bird but I figured, what the hell, he doesn’t seem interested so I started calling aggressively & the bird behind me responded in kind. At 08:37, I heard 3 rapid shots way up & to my right. The bird was responding & coming. I saw a spot of white below me & glassed it. The 1st gobbler’s head popped up & it was as bright red as I have seen on a turkey. My thought: “This could get really interesting really quickly with 1 bird coming in gobbling his head off & another already hear & highly P.O.!!!!” Sadly, that was the last I saw of the lower bird.

At 09:05, he responded 1 last time & was fairly close, so I shut up. At 09:05 he eased into the meadow & almost walked in the 1st bird’s footsteps staying right at my shooting edge walking out of sight.

No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get a response & neither bird came back. At 11:00, I took a short walk-about & headed back to the Roost with the temp at 71 & a slight breeze.

Both birds wanted to “play house” but neither want to “commit to a serious relationship!!”

Supper was my Venison Spaghetti Ala Bolognese.

Day 3 – 05/03

At 04:50, as I was walking to my set in the small meadow, a bird gobbled in the same area as the 1st bird yesterday. It was 63, overcast & breezy. At 05:32, I bird gobbled across the road in the sap woods next to The Roost. Ron was hunting that area. At 05:35, that blessed dog started to bark again but, thankfully, it only lasted a couple of minutes. The bird across the road gobbled several more times & I was waiting for Ron to shoot. Turns out, the bird came within range but went behind a tree & headed the other way. That reminded my of an old Lynyrd Skynyrd song: “Tree Bird” (yeah, I know, Free Bird lol.)

I called every 15-20 minutes all morning with no response & headed in at quitting time, 12:00 with the temp up to 80.

Supper was my Squirrel Picadillo.

Day 4 – 05/04

I was back at above the cemetery at 04:45 with the temp at 61, cloudy but calm. The air seemed pretty damp. I started calling at 06:05 & continued every 15-20 minutes. At 07:05, it started to rain & the temp started dropping. The rain continued off & on all morning & the breeze picked up. The temp did rise to 71 when I headed out at 11:00.

Late this afternoon, it started to rain pretty hard & the wind pick up a lot. The water on the roads was literally rolling across the wind was so strong.

Supper was my Venison Ropa Vieja.

Day 5 – 05/05

Due to yesterday’s storm, we couldn’t get to the spot we had planned to hunt so hunted the sap woods instead. We got to the spot at 05:00 with the temp at 45, a slight breeze & clear skies. This was the type of hunt where the bird is either there or not. This morning, it was not. We headed back to The Roost. Ron headed off to work & I loaded the truck for the drive home tomorrow morning.

I got to the FNRA banquet site about 03:30 & started taking pics of all the drawing & action items as well as a lot of candids. I wore out early & headed back to The Roost at 08:30 to try to get a good nights sleep for the drive home tomorrow.

Supper was at the Friends of the NRA Banquet.

Day 6 – 05/06

I hit the road at 06:00 A.M. straight up & was home at 02:45 P.M.. My new Ram gets about 6 MPG better than the 2008 Ram so I was able to make it well into Ohio before I gassed up with almost a ½ tank left. Usually I had to stop just inside PA. on the drive home.

As soon as I had the truck unloaded & almost everything put away, I jumped on the Ferris & spent the next 1 ¾ hrs. mowing. After that, it was crash on the couch for the rest of the evening.

I want to thank Ron & Kathy for their hospitality. As usual, it was a great trip. I look forward to the fall NY season.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Yule

Re: 2018 New York Spring Turkey Season

Post by Yule »

What county?
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Yule wrote: May 8th, 2018, 4:22 pmWhat county?
Chenango.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Well dang George on the birds. But looks like a good time anyway. Good luck in the fall.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

We gave it a Shot!

They still aren't Gobbling on our side! :violent1:

Evan has a Day off School on Monday and already has a day planned with Papa ... Hunting in the AM ,,, Fishing in the PM! I better REST UP! :thumbup:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
CB on the run

Post by CB on the run »

Very little action in Erie & Wyoming counties. Saw many coyotes and 1 huge fisher in Erie county. Haven't made it down to my Cattaraugus county property yet. Any one else heard of fishers possibly killing turkeys on the roost?
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I am hunting in Orange County,NY. I took a nice 20 pounder with 1 1/8 inch spurs and a 8 inch beard--a 3 year old Took him somewhere in Orange County right next to the Wallkill River. Almost got my 2nd this morning. He was coming to the HS Strut Triple Glass pot and a Hen ran to him! morning ago, I heard at least 25-30 jakes hitting it together! Numbers are up in Orange County. I still have 2 New Jersey tags and can hunt there until May 25th. If it is only a light rain on Mother's Day tomorrow-- I am going after that Gobbler that got sidelined by that hen.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: May 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm Well dang George on the birds. But looks like a good time anyway. Good luck in the fall.
Always a good time at The Roost. Thx.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: May 9th, 2018, 6:49 am We gave it a Shot!

How'd we do that when I never shoulder the 11-87?? :dontknow: :banghead:

They still aren't Gobbling on our side! :violent1:

I talked with Ron yesterday while sitting in mt bind during a rain storm & they still hadn't done any good. :banghead:

Evan has a Day off School on Monday and already has a day planned with Papa ... Hunting in the AM ,,, Fishing in the PM! I better REST UP! :thumbup:

Good luck to both y'all!! :cheers: :struttin:
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

CB on the run wrote: May 9th, 2018, 11:02 am Very little action in Erie & Wyoming counties. Saw many coyotes and 1 huge fisher in Erie county. Haven't made it down to my Cattaraugus county property yet. Any one else heard of fishers possibly killing turkeys on the roost?
Ron's son saw fisher last week. Ron & I saw 1 a couple of years ago as well.

Good luck.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

quavers16 wrote: May 12th, 2018, 11:02 am I am hunting in Orange County,NY. I took a nice 20 pounder with 1 1/8 inch spurs and a 8 inch beard--a 3 year old Took him somewhere in Orange County right next to the Wallkill River. Almost got my 2nd this morning. He was coming to the HS Strut Triple Glass pot and a Hen ran to him! morning ago, I heard at least 25-30 jakes hitting it together! Numbers are up in Orange County. I still have 2 New Jersey tags and can hunt there until May 25th. If it is only a light rain on Mother's Day tomorrow-- I am going after that Gobbler that got sidelined by that hen.
Good luck.
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”