2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 5-8

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 5-8

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 5 – 04/27

It was 43 with a slight breeze at 05:45 this morning at my 2ndry hoods. Driving over, the moon was directly in front of me & bright yellow. It was nearing the horizon so it was still pretty dark at the woods. I started calling about 06:30 every 20 -30 minutes with not even a peep. No squirrels came out & even the song birds were unusually quiet as were the geese. The only critters making any noise were some calves at the dairy farm to my SE bawling for their mommas. By 10:00, I had had enough of nothing & headed back to the house as I had things that needed to be done. It was 57 & a really beautiful day. May mow the yard this afternoon. It's back to the primary woods in the morning.

Day 6 – 04/28

It was 43 with a misty rain when I left the house. By the time I got back to the woods it had started to sprinkle &, at 05:40, when I had the dekes out & was in the blind it had started to rain. It stopped at 06:15 when I opened the blind windows. Of course, it started again at 06:25. At 06:45, it had stopped again. I sent out some tree yelps right before it started to rain again at 06:45. WTH!!!! At 07:05, it stopped, AGAIN, & I thought I heard a gobble far to the NW. I heard a for sure closer gobble at 07:45. I called & got a couple of responses from the same spot. At 08:00, I saw a bird moving east to west along the edge of the field. The woods is 1-2 feet above the field & that, along with the brush piles & saplings, I really didn’t get a good look. I thought I saw a fan so it could have been a gobbler.

I called every 15-20 minutes & got a response from the West at 09:35. The bird was still in the same spot, maybe 200 yards from me. We conversed all morning & he never moved from that spot except to move south & then back north. At 10:40, it sounded like a war had broken out with the gobbler against at least 2 geese. It sounded like they were in the same spot. Finally the geese broke off the engagement & the woods went quiet.

Several times, I thought about moving on the bird but, with all the brush piles & downed tree tops, there is no easy, quiet way to move around the woods. Couple that with the fact that there is no foliage on the trees & that you can see for hundreds of yards in any direction, I knew it would be an effort in futility & I thought I had a better chance of getting him to come to me. That didn’t work out so well as he refused to budge.

The wind had picked up & it had gotten quite chilly. It was still 43 at 11:30 when I left & he was still gobbling. If it’s not too cold & windy in the morning, I’ll try him again.

Day 7 – 04/29

It was 30 with a strong breeze (WC = 25) when I got up at 04:00 so I decided to take the day off. I got all the mowing done, errands ran, & truck loaded except for the food for tomorrow’s trip to Gobbler’s Roost.

Day 8 – 04/30

Finished loading up the truck & hit the road a little before 06:00 A.M.. I got to Norwich about 2, stopped at Mickey D’s for lunch, gassed up, & met Ron ay his house. We headed to The Roost & got the truck unloaded & me set-up. We headed to the mornings spot with Ron setting up the blind while I marked where the dekes would be placed. We headed back to camp. Kathy joined us for a meal of Carle’s World Famous Brats, mac salad, tator salad, & cole slaw. I hit the rack about 09:30 anticipating a 03:30 wake-up.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”