Dumb idea or not

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Dumb idea or not

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ok so alot of my properties I have to walk to the back of fields for a half mile or more exposing myself.

IME birds tend to spook worse to a couple humans walking across a field vs a vehicle where they ease off and come back eventually as they're used to farming practices. In Florida birds never spooked to trucks, ease off because of ranchers pulling calves

So for evening hunts, what do you think me going and sowing burlap together or going to an army surplus store and finding something to cover truck. With birds not caring about blinds, I don't think once parked would hurt anything. Parked away from.location.

This would be for late afternoon hunting, I have places I will not hunt after daylight do to blowing them out walking in do to crossing fields. Plus when taking older guys it would open options.

Thoughts
ol bob

Re: Dumb idea or not

Post by ol bob »

I drive a snow white golf cart to within a few hundred yards of where I hunt leave it parked out in the open they don't pay it any attention I have watched them walk right by it 10 min. after I left it.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

After seeing how turkeys completely ignore camo tents popped up in the middle of a damn field, I have no doubt you could park a Volkswagen in a field, drape camo netting over it, stand behind it, and kill a turkey. But if they see it coming, I dont think they will come that way even if they’re not spooked like they will by a person walking.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've walked back to my truck on multiple occasions to find birds strutting beside it. I wouldn't even bother covering it.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Just wear your t-sirt ! :bootyshake:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: May 1st, 2018, 12:18 pm Just wear your t-sirt ! :bootyshake:
Lol things priceless
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Funny Tom, me and a buddy were joking about this just Saturday. We were back at my truck getting ready to regroup and two birds gobbled not more than 150 yards. We were able to sneak behind some small islands of trees. For some reason they got within 75 yards and got spooked. Not a full sprint spook, but just a trot off. We are wondering if they saw my truck in the field not more than 60 yards from us???
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
gobblerchsr

Post by gobblerchsr »

Last year in Wisconsin I called 3 longbeards the length of a field to small road that lead to a adjacent field. When they got to where they could see my truck they turned and slowly walked away. After they got out of sight I slipped into the truck, put it in neutral and rolled it down the hill just out of sight. A couple hours later three jakes joined them and I called all 6 birds back. They skirted me just into the woods this time but popped back on the road just in front of my truck where I killed one of them.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=5307
Attachments
2017.jpg
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I think you’ll be fine parking your vehicle and then covering it with some kind of material. A lot of places I hunt are similar to what you’re talking about, huge fields and wide open areas where the birds can see you coming long before you see them. And IME as well, you’re correct about birds spooking more when they see a couple hunters walking across a field vs. a truck driving through a field. Usually when I see birds from the truck in a big field, they’ll ease or run off to the woods, and as long as they didn’t fly off, they’ll almost always come right back, ive had it happen in less than 5-10 minutes in some situations. I’ve also had birds come out into fields where my truck is parked and in view(distances varied but most times the truck was at least 300 yards away) and they’ve paid it absolutely no attention, I’ve also had them come out in the same situation and bolt as soon as they see the truck, if it’s a single longbeard I’ve always noticed they’re far more spooky than any number of birds together. Honestly, I think if you get there and park your truck in a somewhat hidden spot, under a tree for shade or somewhere that’s less obvious, you’ll probably be fine and won’t spook birds, but the burlap or camo material covering the truck would only add confidence and help you out. Good Luck👍
Pass the biscuits!!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

If your gonna be exposing yourself in an open field you better watch out for drones.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Couple years ago the guy in NY (can’t recall his screen name) with worlds loudest turkey locating whistle, said the handicapped fella on his public land was driving down in the fields and shooting them out of his truck window. You should be good.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Get to field, lay down on your stomach, put face in the dirt, and push with one leg. You will get across that field eventually.
Ultimate Predator
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Is “IME” some kinda code word? Do I need a decoder ring to find out what it means?
Please enlighten me..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

In My Estimation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Kinda figured that. Thanks.
I don’t get out much!! :LMAO:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

There is plenty of camo netting in different patterns big enough to cover a vehicle for reasonable prices on Ebay. Be sure to have a handful of pinch clamps to hold it from moving in the wind
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”