2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 1

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 1

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 1 – 04/23

I was ready to go in my primary woods at 05:45 with a temp of 40 & no wind. It was eerily silent in the woods with absolutely no sound at all, not even a tree frog. Based on the scarcity of birds the past 2 years, even though I tagged out both years, I didn’t know what to expect this morning so I was happily surprised when, at 06:03, a gobbler sounded off at the far SE corner of the woods. I called every few minutes with him responding until I guessed he was about 60-70 yards from me shutting me up. Generally, birds roosted in that area, come along the southern part of the woods in front of me. This 1 was different & went north, then east & came in behind me, which was fine. I noticed a couple of deer moving along the edge of the woods while I was working the bird. A few minutes after his last gobble, I heard him walking in the leaves coming in on the 4-wheeler trail. He strutted past me so close that, if the blind wasn’t there, I could have grabbed him. He was a mature bird as his fan was full except for a couple of missing feathers.

He strutted up to the jake, partially dropped strut, & stuck his head up. This was a picture perfect hunt. I love it when a plan comes together like this but the final “execution” failed miserably when I missed!!!! And, to add insult to injury, he landed giving me another shot which I missed & probably shouldn’t have taken. At 06:55, I heard him gobble to the west once. About the same time, a hen started raising Holy Hanna in the same area & I gave it right back to her even meaner. We cussed & fussed at each other for about 10 Minutes before she shut up. I was hoping she’d come in to kick my tail feathers bringing the gob but didn’t.

At 07:15, I spotted 4 hens in the field, 1 white which I’m not sure is “tame” as she was interacting & chasing the others. As if to rub salt in an open wound, that damned gobbler was out there strutting his stuff. I know it was the same 1 as he was missing the same tail feathers. I threw everything I had at them including a lot of gobbles trying to get them back into the woods but it didn’t work. They wander in & out of sight until 07:36 when they disappeared. At 08:15, I walked out to the edge & there was a lone hen at the far end & she went into the woods.

By 09:20 the wind had picked up & it cooled down. By 10:40, the wind was screaming & I figured it would be safer to get the heck out of Dodge. The temp was 47 but felt a lot colder. To my 2ndry woods tomorrow.

I have my trail cam set-up to take pics & 30 second videos when something comes into range. This is of the gobbler & the miss. I have watched the video literally dozens of times & replayed it in my mind even more times & can’t really figure out what happen. There is no shot in the deke & I didn’t find any feathers. Coupled with seeing him strutting 45 minutes after the shot seem to indicate a clean miss. The only logical solution I can come up with is that I jerked the shot causing the barrel to lift at the same time he dropped his head causing me to shoot over him. What do all y’all think?

BTW, check out the top left corner of the video at the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJp9Hqa ... e=youtu.be
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 1

Post by guesswho »

I'd name that spot dobble tap hill or double tap flat depending on the terrain :lol:

Looks like a swing and a miss to me. I'd blame it on the shells. I bet it's a bad lot number!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: April 26th, 2018, 3:23 pm I'd name that spot dobble tap hill or double tap flat depending on the terrain :lol:

Looks like a swing and a miss to me. I'd blame it on the shells. I bet it's a bad lot number!
I've been hunting this woods for 10 years & this is only the 2nd miss at this spot. What is
really irritating is that I had plenty of time & didn't need to rush the shot. I don't know WTF
I was thinking.
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

It happens. I've had more than my share.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

It took me close to 40 years to complete a four gauges slam of .410, 20, 12 and 10. Not kills, but @#$% misses. I had a Whack-a-Moley miss similar to yours when the big head and neck periscoped over a downed big oak's trunk and just as I squeezed, the head crash dived behind the trunk. I was already congratulating myself on a clean head shot with no shot in the breast as the trunk of the tree fully covered the bird's body. Gil
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Good luck. You'l make him pay eventually.
gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

BTW .... I'm NOT laughing at you/I'm laughing WIYH YOU! Use up them MISSES!!!! :dontknow:
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

It always sucks to miss, but is sounds like you actually missed and that’s good.

I’ve missed a bunch. A whole bunch... most from not keeping my head down shooting beads. A few from them being 3-10 yards and bobbing as I squeezed the trigger.

Good luck to payback!
jryser

Post by jryser »

I’ve learned as much or more from misses...but dang they hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Been there done that. Nice looking bird too.The deer were cool too. Get back out there and show him who's boss.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: April 26th, 2018, 4:15 pm It happens. I've had more than my share.
Wasn't the 1st miss & I'm sure not the last but this 1 will haunt me for quite a while. I can usually get over a miss relatively quickly but with the shortage of birds & my extreme carelessness/haste it will stick with me.

BTW, My forehead is still sore from me smacking it & saying: 'STUPID! STUPID!! STUPID!!!!" over & over again right after the shot.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote: April 26th, 2018, 4:35 pm It took me close to 40 years to complete a four gauges slam of .410, 20, 12 and 10. Not kills, but @#$% misses. I had a Whack-a-Moley miss similar to yours when the big head and neck periscoped over a downed big oak's trunk and just as I squeezed, the head crash dived behind the trunk. I was already congratulating myself on a clean head shot with no shot in the breast as the trunk of the tree fully covered the bird's body. Gil
I have a couple of trees in my past.

In 1992, while I was still in FL, I started coming to Ohio to deer hunt. A doe
walked in & gave me a broadside shot & she went down, stone, cold, dead. I walked to
her & on the way, passed a 2" sapling that I hadn't seen when I shot. The slugger went
through the tree & through her as well.
P5120003.JPG
P5120002.JPG
P5120001.JPG
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: April 27th, 2018, 5:55 am Good luck. You'l make him pay eventually.

I sure hope you're right, Thx. Have you or will you make it up this spring?
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

gblrsrst wrote: April 27th, 2018, 7:11 am BTW .... I'm NOT laughing at you/I'm laughing WIYH YOU! Use up them MISSES!!!! :dontknow:
Why is it that I don't believe your 1st statement?? Maybe cuz we've been there & done that more than once?? :violent1:

I sure as hell hope that is the only miss this year. :thumbleft:
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

BrowningGuy88 wrote: April 27th, 2018, 7:52 am It always sucks to miss, but is sounds like you actually missed and that’s good.

I’ve missed a bunch. A whole bunch... most from not keeping my head down shooting beads. A few from them being 3-10 yards and bobbing as I squeezed the trigger.

Good luck to payback!
It looked like a clean miss since he was out strutting 45 mins. later. I've missed by share part because of lifting my head.
That's 1 reason I now have a scope.

Thx.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

jryser wrote: April 27th, 2018, 8:19 am I’ve learned as much or more from misses...but dang they hurt.

Yep. Always learn more from a miss but I seem to figure out new ways to mess up once in awhile.

This 1 will stick with me for quite a while.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

redarrow wrote: April 27th, 2018, 8:19 am Been there done that. Nice looking bird too.The deer were cool too. Get back out there and show him who's boss.
He was a gooder un, that's for sure. I knew there were 2-3 deer there but it looked like 6 or so. I was surprised
that the trail cam picked them up as it is probably 60-70 yards away. It set it about 10 yards from the dekes.

There are a lot of beeches & oaks so it is a game magnet. I have vids of deer, squirrel, coon, & what is
either a possum or a naked coon.

Back to the same spot tomorrow & Sun. Hopefully he or a bro will show up. Thx.
George

joey46

Post by joey46 »

HunterGKS wrote: April 27th, 2018, 1:55 pm
joey46 wrote: April 27th, 2018, 5:55 am Good luck. You'l make him pay eventually.

Doubtful - my lifelong hunting buddy sold his Meigs County land and moved "to town". From now on my OH excursion may be over. Looking at some spots in the Daniel Boone NF (Ky) for late season hunts after FL. Just a part of getting old I guess.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Looks like the deer got more pellets than the turkey.................. :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: April 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm
HunterGKS wrote: April 27th, 2018, 1:55 pm
Doubtful - my lifelong hunting buddy sold his Meigs County land and moved "to town". From now on my OH excursion may be over. Looking at some spots in the Daniel Boone NF (Ky) for late season hunts after FL. Just a part of getting old I guess.
That's too bad. Good luck with finding some areas in KY.
George

jryser

Post by jryser »

HunterGKS wrote:
GLS wrote: April 26th, 2018, 4:35 pm It took me close to 40 years to complete a four gauges slam of .410, 20, 12 and 10. Not kills, but @#$% misses. I had a Whack-a-Moley miss similar to yours when the big head and neck periscoped over a downed big oak's trunk and just as I squeezed, the head crash dived behind the trunk. I was already congratulating myself on a clean head shot with no shot in the breast as the trunk of the tree fully covered the bird's body. Gil
I have a couple of trees in my past.

In 1992, while I was still in FL, I started coming to Ohio to deer hunt. A doe
walked in & gave me a broadside shot & she went down, stone, cold, dead. I walked to
her & on the way, passed a 2" sapling that I hadn't seen when I shot. The slugger went
through the tree & through her as well.
P5120003.JPG
P5120002.JPG
P5120001.JPG
THAT is cool!!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”