I thought TX would rank higher for top Turkey hunting states?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
runningwithbow

I thought TX would rank higher for top Turkey hunting states?

Post by runningwithbow »

Found this blog that states that AL and WI are supposed to be the best states for turkey. Maybe it's my lonestar bias, but anyone else have any opinions on this?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert ... -2018.html
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I thought TX would rank higher for top Turkey hunting states?

Post by guesswho »

If Alabama is in the top two then the rest of the country is in trouble.

I figured KY and MI would be up there.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

I hope they're right about Wisconsin: I'll be in zone5 starting the 16th.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote: April 25th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Bub we have nothing, and ain't heard one here in three years..
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: April 25th, 2018, 5:31 pm
guesswho wrote: April 25th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Bub we have nothing, and ain't heard one here in three years..
Your the second person that's told me that today.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

As a archery hunter I say NE. and KS in that order.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

TX does have some awesome turkey numbers and hunting. But it's 99% private and they get a pretty penny for the hunts. That may have been a big factor in the ranking. But Easterns aren't doing well overall in East Texas, and they are a one bird limit.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

I live in Bama and would rather hunt Ne,Ok,Ks,Ky or Tn. We've got some birds but the hunting can be tough
Proverbs 3:5-6
Dr Juice

Post by Dr Juice »

Thx for the article. I live and hunt the southern tier of NY and I can tell you that NY is NOT in the top 5 states to hunt Gobblers. It is few and far in between the years when I tag out in NY. We get two tags for the season and we can hunt until noon only. Best regards.
simpzenith

Post by simpzenith »

Wisconsin is definitely the top turkey state. Abundant populations (probably the highest in the nation) and plenty of low-pressure public lands plus access to private land is pretty easy.
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com
2018 MN State Turkey Calling Champion
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

They didnt do much research into that 'vast amounts of public land' in Texas. Also had Missouri's license cost wrong.
xarcher

Post by xarcher »

Nice read.

My little corner of PA is covered up with turkeys and for the most part getting access to hunt private land isn't all that difficult. But I say that from the perspective that the local farmers are my neighbors and we are not total strangers. And this time of year you can't drive anywhere without spotting a flock in a field if you know where to look. Heck, I have come twice within 50 feet of roadkilling a turkey just within the last week.

But beyond that, the Allegheny National Forest offers nearly a half million acres of opportunity so there are pockets of unpressured birds I suspect.

By comparison, I make an annual trip to Alabama and I am hearing the same comments from my contacts as from others above.
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

Not sure what this author was smoking, but I wouldn't put PA or NY in the top 5. 20 years ago perhaps, but not in 2018. :geek:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

deerhunt1988 wrote: April 26th, 2018, 8:00 am They didnt do much research into that 'vast amounts of public land' in Texas. Also had Missouri's license cost wrong.
Agreed on both.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Ranking states depends entirely on your perspective, and the writer of the article never really said. Best in regards to what? AL is great for the residents - we have a long season and a generous season limit, and that results in a lot of avid turkey hunters. But it's not so great for non-residents. The turkeys on public land are heavily pressured, and it's nearly impossible to find private land to hunt unless you are willing to pay for it. And the daily limit is just one, so if you are traveling and kill one early, you can't hunt the rest of the day. There are many states better for the traveling hunter, and it seemed that was who the article was trying to address.

I'd probably choose OK for a destination for an out of state hunter. They have a 3 bird limit, a lot of turkeys, and a lot of public land. But KS and NE are good too. I have never gone to WI because you have to draw for a tag. I just eliminate states that make you do that.
simpzenith

Post by simpzenith »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: April 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm Ranking states depends entirely on your perspective, and the writer of the article never really said. Best in regards to what? AL is great for the residents - we have a long season and a generous season limit, and that results in a lot of avid turkey hunters. But it's not so great for non-residents. The turkeys on public land are heavily pressured, and it's nearly impossible to find private land to hunt unless you are willing to pay for it. And the daily limit is just one, so if you are traveling and kill one early, you can't hunt the rest of the day. There are many states better for the traveling hunter, and it seemed that was who the article was trying to address.

I'd probably choose OK for a destination for an out of state hunter. They have a 3 bird limit, a lot of turkeys, and a lot of public land. But KS and NE are good too. I have never gone to WI because you have to draw for a tag. I just eliminate states that make you do that.
WI is only a draw for the first few seasons. All other seasons are basically over-the-counter. You can purchase over 60 turkey tags in WI and they're only $15 each. I only bought 4 this year when I typically buy 10 or more. Not gonna have time to hunt there as much as I usually do this spring.
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com
2018 MN State Turkey Calling Champion
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote: April 26th, 2018, 2:52 pm
deerhunt1988 wrote: April 26th, 2018, 8:00 am They didnt do much research into that 'vast amounts of public land' in Texas. Also had Missouri's license cost wrong.
Agreed on both.
Yup. I suppose it all depends on one's perspective as to what "vast amounts" means, but any review on turkey hunting that includes that statement is automatically questionable from the get-go. :shock:
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

simpzenith wrote: April 27th, 2018, 12:50 pm
poorcountrypreacher wrote: April 26th, 2018, 7:19 pm Ranking states depends entirely on your perspective, and the writer of the article never really said. Best in regards to what? AL is great for the residents - we have a long season and a generous season limit, and that results in a lot of avid turkey hunters. But it's not so great for non-residents. The turkeys on public land are heavily pressured, and it's nearly impossible to find private land to hunt unless you are willing to pay for it. And the daily limit is just one, so if you are traveling and kill one early, you can't hunt the rest of the day. There are many states better for the traveling hunter, and it seemed that was who the article was trying to address.

WI is only a draw for the first few seasons. All other seasons are basically over-the-counter. You can purchase over 60 turkey tags in WI and they're only $15 each. I only bought 4 this year when I typically buy 10 or more. Not gonna have time to hunt there as much as I usually do this spring.
Thanks for the info; I guess I need to look at their regs again. It's been several years since I looked at them, and all just seemed so complicated for a state with so many turkeys.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”