Gettin my butt kicked

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

Gettin my butt kicked

Post by jhogue »

I've spent more time prepping for this season than ever before. I started scouting in early March in Arkansas. I started prepping for Florida in September. Florida didn't work out, and that's not too surprising. In Arkansas, I know where birds are and they gobble decent some days, but it just hasn't come together yet. I've messed with some of the same birds several times and some of them seem to be henned up. Another bird, that is the main bird I want to kill this year, shuts up the first time I return a call to him, and never says another word or comes in silent. I'm guessing he's an old bird, or just has me figured out. I'm working to get to the woods every chance I can and still believe I will get in front of the right bird before season ends. Arkansas has 16 days to hunt, so I am just over half way through the season, and holding onto hope that one will be lonely at the right time when I can find him.

Another frustration I've experienced this year is not having any birds come in silent. It may just be luck, or I may be doing something different this year. In 5 or 6 occasions in the past (this is my 8th real year as a turkey hunter) I've called in Jakes and Long Beards that came in silent. I generally run and gun, but when I fell like it is right, I sit and call for 20-45 minutes. This year it hasn't worked once. I've probably put twice as much time in the woods as any single previous year, and am still getting my butt kicked day in and day out.

Has it just not been my day yet, or am I screwing up somewhere? I honestly believe it's just not my time yet. In the area I'm hunting, I haven't even heard a shot, but I know the birds are there. They seem to be kicking everyone else's butts in the area as well. Maybe the warmer weather will help and maybe a few hens will start going to their nests...
hobbes

Re: Gettin my butt kicked

Post by hobbes »

Keep at it and it will eventually come together, especially with some nicer weathef.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Because I hunt areas of less trees, I am forced to do little run and gun, and use a sit and wait approach. If I have land that I know where the Turkeys are, I will hike in before dawn, and sit as long as it takes to shoot a Tom. I shoot birds all day, and call about every 45 minutes.
ImageImageImage
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I feel your pain. Me and a buddy have been going and he has never killed a gobbler. We have been on birds and they gobble pretty good. Seems like hens are always around and we definitely piss them off. Just have gotten on that right one. It is very aggravating. Hopefully things will turn around all of us!

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Don't feel bad.......it has been tough here in southern VA this week too. All the birds seem to be henned up really bad, little to no gobbling, and the wind has been terrible some days. Makes for some tough hunting.......I have a particular field they frequent, just waiting for the hens to drag him in there when I'm there. Stars just haven't lined up yet. We just have to keep trying, it will happen.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I’ve got two more mornings to try and make it work before season ends. This morning I was the only person in the whole area. Seems crazy that everyone else either moved out of the area or just aren’t hunting at all. There are definitely birds in the ground I’m hunting, they are just tough. I set up on a bird on the roost yesterday morning. He gobbled 60 plus times on the roost. He hit the ground about 70 yards in front of me, answered calls fro about 10-15 minutes before just walking away. I can only assume there was a hen over there close that stayed silent, but drug him off. I struck another bird at 11:00. He gobbled 3 times, but was further each time. These hens seem to have leashes on all these gobblers. This morning only one bird gobbled and he was right next to some private land. I got over by him and saw the hen that was roosted right next to him. I got a glimpse of him in the field, but that was it. Hoping a little luck come my way in one of the last two days of season. If not, I still have tags for Oklahoma and Kansas to hold out hope for.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good Luck.......... sounds like the crappy weather every where has changed the whole game plan.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: April 21st, 2018, 6:58 pm Good Luck.......... sounds like the crappy weather every where has changed the whole game plan.
Weather has definitely thrown a monkey wrench into this springs season.

So far we have killed 2 in 2 states. Hoping Indiana is easy and we can get back down to Ky for some fun

Keep at it until it comes together
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”