high wind- hard rain

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

high wind- hard rain

Post by appalachianassassin »

day 7 hunting
wet.png
got on this bird and his buddy at 8 am on the side of a very steep ridge. they honored my calling for a while then lost interest about 9 am. an hour goes by till I hear them gobble again and they had moved 400 yds down the mountain. in north Carolina you cant shoot between 10 and 12 so I take my time descending down the mountain. if you can picture the terrain in your mind it is steep enough that most of the time you have to grab saplings and pull yourself up the mountain and the center of each holler is truck hood sized boulders. at 10 am I make my way to one of the large rock overhangs that scatter the mountain, set my alarm for 12 and take a nap. upon waking I hear one of the birds about 200 yds away, he is level with me and 3 hollers over. I quickly made my way to the holler next to him. during this period he gobbled probably 50 times. I set up 25 yds from the break in the ridge and began to call. turkey worked like a dream and came straight around the ridge to me in about 5 mins time. I shot him at 12:30 and just walked in the door. im off the gun till next season, it sure has been fun. probably the worst conditions ive ever called up a turkey in. 25 mph sustained wind and heavy rain
El Sicario
MAK

Re: high wind- hard rain

Post by MAK »

Way to stick it out
MAK
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I hate to know what the deal was you made with the devil this year to have the short season you had. ;) Gil
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

GLS wrote: April 15th, 2018, 1:50 pm I hate to know what the deal was you made with the devil this year to have the short season you had. ;) Gil
lol... I don't know man, just my year I guess. the rest of the season will be spent taking kids and novice adults. I enjoy taking others as much as shooting myself, it keeps you humble.
El Sicario
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Well done. Congrats on a fine season. What’s the deal with not shooting from 10-2?
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Waddle Whacker wrote: April 15th, 2018, 2:20 pm Well done. Congrats on a fine season. What’s the deal with not shooting from 10-2?
you cant shoot on sunday from 10 to 12 while folks are in church. just a few years ago hunting on sunday was forbidden in North Carolina.
El Sicario
Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

I’m a novice adult...hint hint.
Great season, unfortunately those turkey nuggets won’t last until next season
coconut

Post by coconut »

appalachianassassin wrote: April 15th, 2018, 3:41 pm
Waddle Whacker wrote: April 15th, 2018, 2:20 pm Well done. Congrats on a fine season. What’s the deal with not shooting from 10-2?
you cant shoot on sunday from 10 to 12 while folks are in church. just a few years ago hunting on sunday was forbidden in North Carolina.
What does shooting have to do with religion? Is hunting viewed as sinful?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I hope you have a safe drive home. Let someone else drive. I wouldn't want you to run over any turkeys on the way home as they don't stand a chance with you behind the wheel and they can't seem to help themselves. ;) Gil
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome season aa!!! Sounds like the terrain I was in Thursday!! Man you have been putting the hammer down!!! Congrats :thumbup:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”