gobblers

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

gobblers

Post by willie »

what is the most gobblers you ever saw at 1 time at one place.i was cutting hay in a back field 3 years ago and when i was entering the field i looked about 150 yards from me in next field and there were 21 longboards,no hens or jakes.i reckon every gobbler from a few farms around was having a party.come spring of that year i only heard 7 of them gobbled reckon the rest went to their own turf.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: gobblers

Post by OLE RASPY »

Most I’ve seen was in Nebraska if memory serves it was 32 longbeards and I had to pick 1. 😆
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

During deer season about 15 years ago I saw 24 longbeard gobblers running together. Maybe 7-8 stayed in the area in Spring and five of them died.

Jim
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Eight, maybe? Couldn't tell you the last time I heard more than a dozen gobble from the same spot, neither. Clearly I hunt in the wrong places.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Back in the 90s I saw a winter flock of toms (in late winter) cross a gravel road from national forest to national forest all in single file, so we were counting as they came across. There was 25ish toms with only one jake. I think it was closer to 30, but its been so long that I cant recall the exact number. I do recall thinking that they'd never stop coming across and wondering what that lone jake was doing in the flock.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

3 or 4 years ago I went to a field in feb to see how the turkeys were doing at a large roost area on an island I hunt. There were well over 300 turkeys in the field and I stopped counting the toms when I got to 75 ! I had a video of the field but I lost it when my old computer crashed ! :cry:
I also had a video of the same field in the spring with over 40 toms all strutting for about 200 hens that was something to behold but talk about flocked up :LMAO: !!

Last year bow hunting in Nebraska I walked into a spot that I thought the toms might be roosting and set up a blind in the dark. I was surprised when all the male turkeys started to sound off at first light and eventually had over 10 toms and about 20 jakes all running around fighting and making a real ruckus in the pasture in front of me. I could have filled all 3 tags that morning but just took one !
Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner »

Three years ago in early December in South Dakota. I was coyote calling on a friends ranch and came across a bunch of long beards in the creek bottom. I took a picture of them and later could count at least 48. I drove another 300 yards and there was another bunch that I would guess had a minimum of 60. All long beards.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Need gps locations and contact info as well.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

howl wrote: April 4th, 2018, 9:11 am Eight, maybe? Couldn't tell you the last time I heard more than a dozen gobble from the same spot, neither. Clearly I hunt in the wrong places.
I'm with you, but I've never heard more than 7 on the roost from one point. The 7 was just once, ever. Most mornings, I am happy if I hear one to two gobble at first light.

Obviously the biggest flocks of turkeys are going to be seen in the winter time, but I'v never been in the right place to see a flock of Gobblers, so three long beards is the most I've ever seen together.
Ozark Ridge Runner

Post by Ozark Ridge Runner »

coconut wrote: April 4th, 2018, 11:06 am Need gps locations and contact info as well.
I drew a tag for the following May and hunted that exact place. Believe it or not there was ONE longbeard and probably 20 hens there when I hunted it. Those turkeys are very mobile and disperse out onto the prairie as the weather improves. It’s hard to imaging but that’s the facts. I got that lone gobbler. Most of those longbeards relocated 5 to 10 miles east in higher elevation.
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

We had 17 longbeards, 6 jakes and 23hens fly down into the meadow we set up on last yr opening morning in MT. It was obvious that he winter flock hadn't broken up yet but was still a very impressive show prior to fly down and after.....we didn't kill one that day either. LOL
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Way back in 2000 in Plymouth Indiana was a flock of turkeys grouped up that blew everyone’s mind. Word got out fast how big the flock was. Almost a half mile off the road. the hens yelped nonstop and the gobbles sounded like rolling thunder.

So may strutters you could barely count them. Memory serves correctly it was over 20. The Jakes were double that and they tried their best to strut with the Toms. When the Jakes got to close, a half dozen tons would run over to them and flogm good and keep them separated. Had to be close to 200 turkeys in that field. Turkey hunters everywhere would go and watched & listen. Lasted for over a week like that.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
tauntohawk

Post by tauntohawk »

phutch30 wrote:We had 17 longbeards, 6 jakes and 23hens fly down into the meadow we set up on last yr opening morning in MT. It was obvious that he winter flock hadn't broken up yet but was still a very impressive show prior to fly down and after.....we didn't kill one that day either. LOL
It's cool to see until you realize how tough it is to hunt a winter style flock of birds

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tauntohawk

Post by tauntohawk »

Fall/winter who knows, one of the main farms I hunt for turkey and deer have about 150+ birds every year all winter so it's not uncommon to see multiple large groups of bearded birds in deer season. It's not uncommon to run into flocks segments of 20-30 Tom's hanging around or hear large amounts of gobbling in November/December time frame.

In spring I've seen 17 round fans in a flock of 65ish birds in Nebraska and in New York had 12 long beards come in off the roost with a pile of jakes and hens on an opening morning so many birds in fact I could never get a clear shot as they all pushed each other around in what looked more like a swarm of giant black bees then a flock of spring turkeys

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”