turkey eating

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
willie

turkey eating

Post by willie »

anybody like to share how they fix their wild turkey.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: turkey eating

Post by OLE RASPY »

Cut up in strips. Fry in Kentucky kernel seasoning and eat it all. 👍🏻
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

For the breast I simply divide into similar sized steaks and just grill it with olive oil salt and pepper, just make sure you get the temp right and its still juicy, delicious! Legs thighs and wings go into soup with wild rice.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

wild turkey jerky.JPG
Wild Turkey Jerky
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

We like to smoke whole breast. Chill overnite then slice thin (across grain). Rewarm on flat top wth a lil squirt of water/chicken base to steam, fresh mozzarella. Place on warm bun with a squirt of homemade bbq sauce and it’ll eat right fine.
Recently tried a recipe from here; fried after being rolled in yellow mustard and battered in pancake/waffle mix. That was fine! Thankyou to whomever I owe for that one.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
maxbo36

Post by maxbo36 »

This is a recipe I have used for several years and my family loves. Clean and chunk up the breast meat into small strips or bite sized morsels depending on what you prefer. Place entire breast in a Tupperware container and add the following. 1 bottle inexpensive Italian dressing, 1 can evaporated milk, 1/3 can condensed milk, mix thoroughly. Seal container and let marinade for 24 to 72 hours. When you are ready to cook there are two ways to prepare it. One is to roll in Italian bread crumbs and deep fry. The other is to grill. Both are outstanding.
Cut N Run

Re: Teriyaki Turkey Marinade

Post by Cut N Run »

Cut one side of a turkey breast into 1 to 1.5 inch cubes and put in a glass bowl.
In a blender, add;
1/2 Cup lite soy sauce
2/3 Cup Vegetable oil
1/4 Cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons of packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
1 clove of garlic
Blend on high speed for 5 minutes to get an even mix.

Add marinade to cubed turkey chunks in bowl, mix evenly, then cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
Skewer chunks and grill until corners of meat darkens. Don't grill too long or the meat dries out and toughens.

Cut the hide off a pineapple, then cut the fruit lengthwise into spears and grill the pineapple at the same time the turkey is cooking.

Enjoy some trophy eating!

Jim
bottomlandassassin

Post by bottomlandassassin »

Cut breast into "nuggets" and marinade in a little Italian dressing and worcestershire if you like.
Make up your batter with :
Bisquik
a tbsp of sugar
salt
pepper
Tony Chachere's

Crack an egg over your marinated turkey so the batter sticks and drop in 350 degree grease until golden brown. Delicious.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

One of our favorites is to do Buffalo style turkey strips.

The recipe is based on this one for chicken wings. They are "oven fried". Very easy. Never any leftovers.
https://www.thespruce.com/oven-fried-bu ... ipe-101471
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

I"ll vouche for cut n runs [ Jims ] recipe, its delicious.....and I like to do the buffalo strips as well. Years ago I made some "turkey on a stick" for Christmas party appetizers, now I Have to make them every year....Cut breast meat into small strips, put on soaked skewers, wrap in bacon, cook on grill on aluminum foil, when bacon is done, they're good to go....
you never know, unless you go

David
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Breast - 1. soaked in apple cider and fried with flour and Cajun seasoning
2. marinated in Italian Dressing, wrapped in bacon and grilled.
3. cut into steaks, sprinkled with seasoning of the day and seared in cast iron
4. Cubed and put into wild rice and morel soup

Thighs are used in stir fry or gumbo or I'll just cut them up into strips and season them then sear them in the cast iron

Drumsticks get boiled and used in gumbos......or microwaved and fed to the pug
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

willie wrote: March 28th, 2018, 8:06 pm anybody like to share how they fix their wild turkey.
Check out the camp dinner section !
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: March 29th, 2018, 10:56 am One of our favorites is to do Buffalo style turkey strips.

The recipe is based on this one for chicken wings. They are "oven fried". Very easy. Never any leftovers.
https://www.thespruce.com/oven-fried-bu ... ipe-101471

These sound so good without a messy oil deep fry, If the birds dies this spring this is what I am going to do with it. Last fall I shot a hen as the rancher suggested I do twice, I guess he figured that it would cut his over population down for this spring. I picked her, she was about 9 pounds, and before it was stuffed and oven roasted I pumped her with a meat injection pump with real melted butter with a tablespoon or so of poultry seasoning stirred in. I didn't spare the butter and really shot he full of plenty. Believe it or not it was the best turkey ever cooked in the 47 yrs. of marriage to my wife, the bird came out golden brown and very juicy and tender..... :cheers:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

deep fried
turkey pot pie (my favorite)
stir fry
grilled
I just stuffed one whole breast like chicken cordon blue
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Shore lunch Cajun all I'll use.

One thing I'll add make sure to trim them really good and cut against the grainl
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Slice the breast about 1/2" thick, marinade in Italian dressing overnight then grill it...........Tastes YUMMY..........
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

cut into strips or nuggets 1/4 inch thick. soak in milk or buttermilk for a few hours then pour into sink and let drain well. for batter mix 1 part white lilly flour to 1 part Martha white sweet corn muffin mix, season with tonys or chupicabre rub. bread and fry until golden brown in 1/2 real butter 1/2 lard made from bear fat. lard from bear fat wont upset your stomach like hog lard sometimes will. I use cast iron skillets and medium low heat. if you would like to seduce your sunday school teacher this is the recipe to do it with. I will add that ive eaten aloooooooooot of turkey out of a deep fryer and it just don't compare. faster.....just not as good. the drumstix are used for turkey-n-dumplins, just always powerboil them in a pressure cooker first.
El Sicario
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Legs, thighs, and all trimmings parboiled and made into turkey soup. In most cases, I cut the breast meat into strips, marinate w/ cajun spices and soy then smoke w/ cherry wood on the grill till the meat is just cooked, but still moist and make the best turkey salad that you've ever eaten.
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

Take one breast from a gobbler and wrap it tightly in Saran wrap. Inject the breast thoroughly right through the Saran Wrap with your favorite marinade, mine is the Creole Garlic flavor. Place breast on a plate and set it in the refrigerator for about 1-2 hours.

Take the meat out of the refrigerator. Start your barbecue grill to bring it up to temperature or to allow the charcoal to lightly ash over. Plan on a medium high grill.

Remove the Saran wrap from the meat, cut the breast in half and pat it dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle all surfaces of the meat very well with a good Cajun Spice. Lay out strips of thick cut bacon tight against each other on a cookie sheet, placing the breast on them to judge for number of strips needed. Cover a breast with a thick coat of honey, spreading evenly over the entire breast and quickly wrap the breast/honey with the bacon, pinning the ends of the bacon with toothpicks on the sides of the breast. Give the bacon a shake of the Cajun spice as well. Repeat the process with the other breast. Place the beasts in the refrigerator on a cookie sheet until the grill is ready.

Place the 2 bacon wrapped breasts directly on the grill at medium high heat. Close the lid and cook approximately 11 minutes then turn the meat over on the rack. Any honey/juice that ran off of the meat into the cookie sheet can now be added to the cooked surface as a baste. Close the lid.

Once the meat has cooked for an additional 11 minutes, take the two pieces off of the grill, place on a serving platter and cover it with aluminum foil to allow it to rest for about 10 minutes. Place it in a warm location of your kitchen.

Serve the turkey with fresh corn on the cob with herbed butter, a crisp green salad, cold sweet tea and homemade bread and butter pickles.

Cheers

FullChoke
Central MS

Return to “Gobbler Talk”