First Florida hunt complete

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
jhogue

First Florida hunt complete

Post by jhogue »

I finished my Florida hunt yesterday with my Dad. Ultimately, neither of us killed a bird or even saw a male turkey while hunting, but it was a great experience. We drew permits on public land and started our hunt last Sunday. On the first day I heard one bird gobble on the limb once and on the ground once, silent the rest of the morning. Dad heard 4 on the limb, but believes he heard shots in the area of 3 out of 4. Dad’s Hunt was slow most of the rest of the week. I managed to get a little closer each day, despite almost no gobbling all week. I “worked” one bird two days, but by work I mean he returned a few calls, but didn’t close much distance at all. First day a hen pulled him off me. Second day he was in a very thick unfortunate place for me when he fired up. He made no attempt to close distance and I didn’t have anywhere to go to change the situation for me. He didn’t gobble at all the last day.

Ultimately, I was very happy with the hunt and intend to be back next year. I feel that a lot of the nightmare stories I heard about Florida just didn’t happen to us. Pressure was very low the days we were there. Sure I ran into a few hunter, but they were all polite. There were plenty of birds in the area, just not vocal right now. One local told me that he thought the birds did their breeding in February. With the sign I saw, I think the opposite was true where I was. Many gobbler and hen tracks together and one bird definitely being pulled away by a vocal hen tells me I was there early. I also heard a couple locals tell me that the Saturday I did not hunt was a zoo like all the nightmare stories I’ve heard of. They thought that might have accounted for lack of gobbling next few days.

No Grand Slam this year... but time to get ready for Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
ylpnfol

Re: First Florida hunt complete

Post by ylpnfol »

thats unfortunate, but you have a good attitude about it. quality time with family is always good. Good Luck the rest of the way. looks like you have a lot of gobbling in your future....
you never know, unless you go

David
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

You'll know the area a lot better, next time ya' get drawn!! :thumbup:

Never a bad hunt, when ya' got dad along1! :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I'm guiding in Florida we're batting 100 percent. But your experience is no different than ours on really good private. I got down here and they were in bachelor groups, day before season they got with hens. Gobbling has been minimal to say the least, having to either go kill um, wait um out or they come in silent. Just the past few days they've started to gobble.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: March 25th, 2018, 8:34 am I'm guiding in Florida we're batting 100 percent. But your experience is no different than ours on really good private. I got down here and they were in bachelor groups, day before season they got with hens. Gobbling has been minimal to say the least, having to either go kill um, wait um out or they come in silent. Just the past few days they've started to gobble.
well there is hope that since they are just starting to boogy that the turkeys up north won't be starting early.. have heard from a few that they seemed to start early
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
norINhunter

Post by norINhunter »

You're already one step closer to success next year.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Next year may be a lot better experience with birds tripping over themselves for you to kill them. Good Luck on your other hunts.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I’m going to try to draw a permit again next year. I’ll probably go even if I don’t draw and may go into some of the walk in areas. I learn every time I hunt, even if it is “This crap ain’t working”. I tried waiting them out almost every day, but couldn’t fight the urge to move after 30-45 minutes of no turkeys showing up and no gobbling. I’ve found success in a lot of places sitting that amount of time, but it wasn’t in the cards this week. I patterned my last gun today and am pumped for other seasons to open over next few weeks.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Kellys 3-17-18.jpg
You learned a lot in just one trip (especially not mentioning the specific WMA - Florida forum guys would have put a hit on you if you had) . It has been a funny Florida season so far for us. Our first day (3-17) found light gobbling but these two jakes (pic #1) slipping in and spending about an hour breeding the hen decoys. Classic behavior with one breeding while the other kept watch. Since it was opening day they got a pass. Our Jake Mobile strutter is at 24 yards (left side of pic). On one other solo trip (3-24) the birds were very vocal on the limb, hit the ground, and shut up. Where they go after doing this is always a mystery. Hope to get out tomorrow - planned to get out on 3-21 but nature got in the way. I'll attempt to post a few pictures. One of the two jakes and another of the results of a Florida lightning storm on the evening of 3-20. Lightning hit the big oak first and then deflected onto my buddy's new Ford. Never ever seen something like this before. Florida is the lightning capital. Lucky the truck was unoccupied. Looks like it was hit by a Hellfire missile during an air strike. Goes without saying - total loss. Pic #2 taken while awaiting the fire department. Eeek!
Attachments
Truck Fire 3-20.jpg
toasty

Post by toasty »

joey46 wrote: March 27th, 2018, 4:47 am
Kellys 3-17-18.jpg
You learned a lot in just one trip (especially not mentioning the specific WMA - Florida forum guys would have put a hit on you if you had) . It has been a funny Florida season so far for us. Our first day (3-17) found light gobbling but these two jakes (pic #1) slipping in and spending about an hour breeding the hen decoys. Classic behavior with one breeding while the other kept watch. Since it was opening day they got a pass. Our Jake Mobile strutter is at 24 yards (left side of pic). On one other solo trip (3-24) the birds were very vocal on the limb, hit the ground, and shut up. Where they go after doing this is always a mystery. Hope to get out tomorrow - planned to get out on 3-21 but nature got in the way. I'll attempt to post a few pictures. One of the two jakes and another of the results of a Florida lightning storm on the evening of 3-20. Lightning hit the big oak first and then deflected onto my buddy's new Ford. Never ever seen something like this before. Florida is the lightning capital. Lucky the truck was unoccupied. Looks like it was hit by a Hellfire missile during an air strike. Goes without saying - total loss. Pic #2 taken while awaiting the fire department. Eeek!
:shock:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”