Auto interference

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

Auto interference

Post by Prospector »

Hey Hunters got something I want to bounce around.
I’m a member of a lease where we are fortunate to have a lot of land in fields , power lines/ pipelines and openings surrounded by woods and and cutover. The problem is we have several members who seem to think it’s ok to park, drive thru, and drive all around these openings both before and during the spring season scouting etc. I’ve spoken to a few especially when they have spooked game and they invariably ask where was my vechicle and/or swear they would have never messed me up on purpose. My take is 1) most important, Why are you driving thru these areas ( kinda hard to hunt or scout from the front seat) anyway and (2) the hunter is the guy on foot not in the truck. I have always said if another guy hunting ( not driving) messes up a hunt accidentally then that’s hunting but this others just smells like laziness/ inconsideration. Am I off base? What do other hunters in other areas think? Is this a pblm y’all have and how do you handle it? Let me add that the culprits are mostly middle age and younger without physical infirmities. Thankyou
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Auto interference

Post by Hoobilly »

Man that’s just wrong and sounds like something a citidiot would do.

I hunt private land and don’t lease. I can’t tell you how to fix it and would get you in trouble with my advice.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Quit driving through the property during turkey season and the two weeks prior. Make a big deal about it.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

It's best to ask the leaseholder his opinion. If you're clearly outnumbered on the issue, I'd just make the best of it and look elsewhere next season.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Are the roads they are driving typically driven-on regularly outside of hunting season by people doing other stuff? If so, I would not be concerned about it,...unless the guys doing it before the season are doing something stupid like using turkey calls or otherwise making the birds on the property associate turkey calling with people. Then it is a big problem.

If the fields are farmland that is cultivated, the turkeys are probably accustomed to the farmer and/or farm workers working there and driving the roads. If that, or something similar, is the case, those turkeys are not suddenly going to become more wary because of it. They cannot tell if someone in a vehicle is a farmer or a hunter.

Having said that, common courtesy comes into play in these situations. Someone knowingly interfering with another hunter's scouting or hunting by driving into an area where they know the other hunter is at is disrespectful,...and it is completely understandable to have a polite conversation with those individuals to suggest that they not do it because it could result in certain negative repercussions. :D :toothy7:
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

At my old lease we members didn't allow vehicle traffic unless it was to retrieve game (deer mostly) and move gear (stands & blinds) unless you first cleared it with anybody else who was hunting or using the property at the time. That property was a tree farm, so some vehicle traffic was unavoidable. The landowner didn't like to walk, so he drove a golf cart and later a Polaris Ranger everyplace that had a two track. He also had a high strung doberman sidekick that followed him everywhere & chased anything that moved. It was way less than ideal.

I intentionally sought as many out of the way places to hunt as possible on that land and it made a difference. I killed more and bigger deer & turkeys because they'd moved away from traffic and pressure.

Even though the current traffic may be screwing up where you want to hunt now, it may be forcing activity to more secluded places. Check a satellite map and go explore the harder to get to places and see what you find. You'll probably have successful hunts with less aggravation. Even if you have to walk farther to get there, you likely won't get much disturbance. If you find out that the traffic is to intentionally screw you up, find another place to hunt with fewer A-holes. Good Luck.

Jim
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

No, these are merely two tracks around the fields and your normal pipeline right always ( no road). Yes, their is coming and going by other parties that cultivate but it is hay so aside from early spring fertilizing the activity doesn’t pick up again until time to cut ( later spring). The majority are deer hunters and I can tell you that there are rules in place to minimize this type of intrusion in the fall/winter. I guess I just needed to see if others have encountered this too and it gives me reassurance that though I may can’t personally change it I am at least justified in my feelings. I know a few others that feel this way too and funny enough the conversations I’ve had with those that “drove” over me they acknowledge that’s it’s wrong. I obviously feel strongly about it but I also don’t enjoy being the guy fussing ( even if it’s right).
BTW I do hunt the out of ways and find what was said true.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”