Merriam Hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Merriam Hunt

Post by timbrhuntr »

HarleyRiders97 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 4:37 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:31 pm Not sure if gobblenut on here and his son still do Merriam hunts but if he does he has great spot in the new Mexico mountains with true buff colored Merriam.
A true Merriams is not buffed color buImaget rather more white, like a Goulds. The buffs are a mixture of Rio Grande and Merriams. Hold out for the whitest one you can find!Image
If you say so ! I have shot Rio's in central Kansas that where almost white I guess they were Merriam's . I have also shot Merriam's in the mountains of New Mexico that were beige this is an isolated population and is from supposed true Merriam stock but I guess they were Rio's. I have shot some in Nebraska near the Rio crosses and they were almost all more the white color in if fact shot two in the same valley where one had the darker beige tail and lower covert tail feathers like a Rio and the other the almost white like Goulds I wonder which was which.In fact while in Nebraska I saw the whitest colored tail feathers strutting along side the highway where its supposed to be easterns/merriam's crosses! And to add even more confusion I hunted in the middle of Texas where they are supposed to be pure Rio's and guess what shot one that had way more white coloring to it. :banghead: :dontknow:
I would still hold out for the whitest one I could find and not because that means its a true Merrian's but just that the white looks cool !
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 12th, 2018, 9:44 am
timbrhuntr wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:31 pm Not sure if gobblenut on here and his son still do Merriam hunts but if he does he has great spot in the new Mexico mountains with true buff colored Merriam.
A true Merriams is not buffed color buImaget rather more white, like a Goulds. The buffs are a mixture of Rio Grande and Merriams. Hold out for the whitest one you can find!Image
If you say so ! I have shot Rio's in central Kansas that where almost white I guess they were Merriam's . I have also shot Merriam's in the mountains of New Mexico that were beige this is an isolated population and is from supposed true Merriam stock but I guess they were Rio's. I have shot some in Nebraska near the Rio crosses and they were almost all more the white color in if fact shot two in the same valley where one had the darker beige tail and lower covert tail feathers like a Rio and the other the almost white like Goulds I wonder which was which.In fact while in Nebraska I saw the whitest colored tail feathers strutting along side the highway where its supposed to be easterns/merriam's crosses! And to add even more confusion I hunted in the middle of Texas where they are supposed to be pure Rio's and guess what shot one that had way more white coloring to it. :banghead: :dontknow:
I would still hold out for the whitest one I could find and not because that means its a true Merrian's but just that the white looks cool !
Totally agree!!! Experienced much of the same. We'll put...
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Genetic purity in subspecies comes from long-term isolation from other subspecies. That isolation also tends to cause certain traits to become dominant in those isolated populations. The tendency towards the more buff-colored tail and rump feathers in the Merriams population in the Lincoln National Forest of southern NM is not a function of hybridization, but of a dominant genetic trait. From my own experience, I have seen gobblers taken from some locations that were purportedly "true Merriams",...birds that had very light feather tips,...that I could tell at first glance were hybrids.

For those hunters that do feel like they want to kill a white-tipped gobbler as their representative of a Merriams, go for it. However, classifying a gobbler as a Merriams based on the whiteness of the tail feathers is tricky business. It just ain't always so.

...And glblrklr, you should have a great hunt with Ryan. He really works hard for his hunters. ...Make sure you are in shape. :D
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Oh man u r in for a fun time. Bring some extra oxygen ! :pukeright: :pukeleft: :LMAO: ;)
misfire

Post by misfire »

SNM was going to be my suggestion as well. I hunted with them 2 years ago, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
gentry

Post by gentry »

I can suggest SNM as well. It's public land hunting but Ryan WILL put you on birds, killing um is up to you. Very nice camp house off the grid with good food and fellowship. Bring some good boots and get in shape! With that being said it's the only place I been to out west so....
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Quick peek I took yesterday at SNM didn't appear to have prices. Lots of 2018 TBD stuff. Be curious also. I can fly cheaper and more direct to Denver than NM so I'll probably stick with eastern WY. Probably the key word. Doesn't hurt to have options.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Bumped up SNM again. Still a lot of TBD but did read a little more on the web site. Realistically the altitude may be a little much for me at this stage of life. Did a weather check on Cloudcroft NM. Surprised it is so mild this time of year. At least it seems to be this 7 day forecast.
bpettet

Post by bpettet »

I'm still waiting to hear back after emailing them a week ago. They should just post their prices.

I've worked at those elevations above Ruidoso, NM (not too far from there) and will tell you it's more of a factor than most would expect. It's a big deal.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

bpettet wrote: February 14th, 2018, 10:02 pm I've worked at those elevations above Ruidoso, NM (not too far from there) and will tell you it's more of a factor than most would expect. It's a big deal.
Yes it is. I live at 6000 feet and hunt SNM every year. I sure notice that extra three or four thousand feet. It's good to hunt uphill if you can so you don't have to climb out of a canyon on the way out, maybe with an extra 20 lbs or so. I haven't been guided by Jim or Ryan, but I've been a guest at the cabin and you couldn't ask for better folks or hospitality, or with more knowledge of those mountains and their turkeys.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Spoke with Ryan (via text) yesterday and he said he fills his limited spots pretty quickly with repeat hunters and referrals so has not been trying to maintain the website lately.

He has openings for 2019 and I'll be there for the opener!
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

joey46 wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:42 pm Bumped up SNM again. Still a lot of TBD but did read a little more on the web site. Realistically the altitude may be a little much for me at this stage of life. Did a weather check on Cloudcroft NM. Surprised it is so mild this time of year. At least it seems to be this 7 day forecast.
The altitude isn't horrible as long as you don't get in any hurry. The steepness of the mountains is tough though and you WILL have to go up them at some point. As far as weather, it has always been comfortable enough when we were there but the wind can blow like a hurricane for days sometimes causing very dusty conditions and difficult hunting. I'll keep going back every chance I get!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Try the training mask if you want to get used to elevation
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Hey fellas,...just wanted to say thank you for all the nice comments about Ryan and his turkey hunting operation. It is good to hear the positive feedback. It is very much appreciated.

I started doing the "turkey hunter's camp" thing many years ago. Being a "serious" turkey hunter, and having travelled to a few other places to hunt, it became apparent to me that many outfitters/landowners that catered to turkey hunters really didn't understand what us serious turkey hunters are looking for in a hunt,...and in a turkey hunter's camp. Hopefully, in the eyes of those that have come here, that is what we have managed to do.

Although I still try to help out a bit when I can, Ryan has pretty much taken over the operation. He is relentless in trying to provide the best hunt he can for our guests,...and honestly, has way more energy to do that than I have anymore. Truth is, I just can't "hang" with the boy anymore,....he just flat wears me out!

In summary, if you truly want to test your turkey hunting skills on some truly wild Merriam's turkeys,... and in some beautiful and (moderately) challenging country, give Ryan a shout. (Sorry, I didn't really mean for this to turn into a commercial,...just a clarification on what to expect...)
midmslongbeard

Post by midmslongbeard »

I used to go to seven j outfitters every year they are top notch. Deb and Jeff are great people also! Birds were always true white tipped merriams compared to the ones I killed in northern Nebraska

Return to “Gobbler Talk”