Vests

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.

Do you wear a vest?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 133

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Vests

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I know a vest is kind of a staple for alot a folks. I cannot remember the last one I've owned. The more years I hunt the less I carry.

Most days you'll find me in a pair of wrangler Riggs green cargo pants, a hoodie or depending on temp a button down down either dura lite from ol Tom or mossy oak button down

I carry a couple pots and strikers in an ol Tom pot call holder that clips to my belt loop( it's awesome). Owl an crow in cargo pocket. Tube and trumpet around neck. 3 mouth calls in a primos carrier in pocket. That's about it. Oh an chew but sal said them days are about be done lol

So who all goes vestless, just making conversation
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Vests

Post by el diablo »

Haven't went vestless yet, but def hauling less and less to the woods. I do really like my Knight's Hands Free vest, it is kind of a minimalist vest. I am down to a pot, a box, and some mouth calls. Thanks for turning me on to the Wranglers, best turkey hunting pants ever!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Sure ya don't wear a vest !

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

el diablo wrote: January 12th, 2018, 12:37 pm Haven't went vestless yet, but def hauling less and less to the woods. I do really like my Knight's Hands Free vest, it is kind of a minimalist vest. I am down to a pot, a box, and some mouth calls. Thanks for turning me on to the Wranglers, best turkey hunting pants ever!
They are awesome aren't they, they can be a lil noisy at first. So I'll usually washer them a couple times upon getting them and it really helps.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I went vestless and face mask free last year. I've always had more issues with a face mask than a vest, but don't miss either one. If I can't get him in shotgun range with a mouth call and a wingbone style call I'll just go home and get the rifle.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

No vest here. I do wear a belt with a fanny pack. It has everything I need from gloves to rangefinder and binos. I have pouches for the pot calls, mouth calls and a holster for my box call. I unbuckle it when I sit and have access to everything in at arms reach. Just works out better for me than a vest.
Last edited by Hognutz on January 12th, 2018, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I basically went vestless a few year ago as all I need is a few mouthcalls, 4 decoys, chair, blind, bow and arrows :banghead: The only thing I found really good about the vest is if you can kill 2 toms is easier to carry one in the back of the vest.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I intend to spend a lot of time in the woods, so food and water are important to sustain my hunt. The seat is also really nice for long sits against odd shaped trees and on top of who knows what else. I don’t carry a ton of calls, but like them easily accessible. I like to be minimalist for a lot of things, but see no reason to ditch my vest.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Call organizer hung by bino harness, unless I'm going miles from the truck. Then I might take a daypack, but there's nothing specific to turkey hunting in the day pack.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I wear a vest. It’s just to carry my stuff though. I don’t run and gun on my property cause it’s not that big. Vest comes off and lays on ground next to me and I just get stuff out of it as needed. Lol
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Still wear one but like most others have said, the contents have been cut way back over the years.

So how warm are those Riggs pants? Are they comfortable during late season hunting?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

No on wearing a vest for me. I have a large hooded (if I need it) camo coat in marsh grass with plenty of pockets for a couple of calls , shells, gloves, pipe and a pouch of pipe tobaccy and face net.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I'm still wearing the vest. Considered a small pack for a while for water and food since a lot of my days are spent covering a good amount of ground on foot. I'll carry one box, multiple mouth calls, an owl and crow, water, snacks, tags, phone (w/onxmaps app), and a few extra shells. A small daypack/Camelback would suffice, but I still like having the pad.
boone5252

Post by boone5252 »

Last year I gave up my turkey vest and went to a camo day pack from Walmart. It works pretty darn good. Using a vest when you sit down, you have to open up your vest so the things you need are in the pockets of the vest to your left or right and that creates a lot of hand and arm movements to retrieve the items you need.
With the day pack, you sit down with the pack zipped open between your legs at the top and with your knees up--it really shields your hand movements----everything is right there between your legs in the day pack.
I'm usually gone most of the day away from the truck, so I like to carry a poncho and an extra shirt which fits great in the day pack and it has elastic water bottle holders on the outside. There is lots of room for box calls, Knight and Hale's "old Yeller" slate call--which I love. Plus this pack has a waist buckle belt that helps the pack from bouncing as you walk.
Years ago, I bought the latest high end turkey vest but it had so many pockets---inside pockets/outside pockets--some zipped and some buttoned --they were everywhere-----BUT I couldn't remember where everything was----it had SO many pockets. Like everyone else, I carry less "stuff" these days---only carry a few calls I have confidence in---and confidence is the name of the game.
Just my 2 cents-------------
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

PALongspur wrote: January 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm Still wear one but like most others have said, the contents have been cut way back over the years.

So how warm are those Riggs pants? Are they comfortable during late season hunting?
I'm thinking your implying to heat and humidity.. Assuming your from Pa so your weather is like ours, you get some hot humid days. Yeah their fine, those days I don't care what you wear it can get uncomfortable from trek light to duralite.

One tip is I rub my groin and backside down with anti monkey butt powder really helps to eliminate chaffing from my thong.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I have a Dixon and wear it. Hard to leave it at home on most days. It depends on the hunt sometimes, too. A couple years ago I bought one of those Tom Teasers messenger type bags. I really like it, but find myself missing that thick cushion on the Dixon. I pack pretty light as well, and the Tom Teaser is perfect for that. I just have a special bond with my Dixon....it’s seen quite a few die. I like the looks of that Brossie shoulder bag, too. Anybody use one of those? They look pretty nice and well made.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

For those of you looking to get away from vest yet have storage and seat. These are nice , I hunted them for years. Great product

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AL1ZC ... 15-5074951
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Years ago I had a vest and hated it. tried on many others and they all sucked.

I found the Beard Busters run n gun belt and loved it. I would still be using it to this day except for the Dixon vest I tried on at Bass pro when they came out.

Absolutely love it and glad that Nomad has come out with their version of it. Thankful I am able to have similar vest and be able to baby my Dixon
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ironically I just seen Knight and Hale debuted a new vest at ATA. 1.5 lbs 10 adjustment points for custom fit.
fountain

Post by fountain »

I didn't use a vest at all last year. At the end of 2015 I swapped over to a tom teaser quick sack and liked it a lot. I had everything in it that was in my tatr vest.
All that said, I will likely be getting a new nomad vest to try out. If I don't like it, I will put it up
202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

Fanny pack and a gobbler lounger for me
Proverbs 3:5-6
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

One mid-day hunt I reached for the vest in the back of the truck, felt like 80 pounds. Birds weren't talking so nothing going on, I emptied the vest to see what all was in there. Lots of stuff - dozen strikers, 4 pot calls, half dozen AA batteries, etc. Stuff that never saw daylight from the time I loaded the vest pre-season to post season.

Last time I used one. Day pack with shoulder straps. Large enough for all day hunt with a water bottle. Strap a foam seat to the bottom of the day pack, and go.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I start out with a pull behind game cart filled with a tent blind, decoys small cooler and Honda generator for the coffee maker and hot plate. Usually my vest has one long box and two short box calls, 11 pot calls and 46 strickers. Ammo, maps, first aid, tablet , camera etc. After not killing anything for couple weeks I just tote the fanny pack and a gobbler lounger. I Still don't kill anything... but way easier to hunt with. :mrgreen:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Gobbler wrote: January 14th, 2018, 10:51 pm I start out with a pull behind game cart filled with a tent blind, decoys small cooler and Honda generator for the coffee maker and hot plate. Usually my vest has one long box and two short box calls, 11 pot calls and 46 strickers. Ammo, maps, first aid, tablet , camera etc. After not killing anything for couple weeks I just tote the fanny pack and a gobbler lounger. I Still don't kill anything... but way easier to hunt with. :mrgreen:
man how was you able to turkey hunt without the tv to watch all the youtube turkey killing videos to keep you pumped up?

:LMAO: :stir: :LMAO: :LMAO:

:struttin:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MAK

Post by MAK »

I've been described as a a Volkswagen bus with it's doors open going thru the woods......... i keep looking at a wheel barrel - I really do want to cut down but.......sigh.
MAK

Return to “Gobbler Talk”