Minnesota Mentor hunt 2012

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Moore

Minnesota Mentor hunt 2012

Post by Moore »

This is a speacial hunt for me since this was my first mentor hunt that I have done.

Friday night we got out there to roost some birds, we heard onefire back at my crow cal.l that was the only one we heard. We checked out the property north where I typically hunt and that we gained permission to hunt. We saw two bared owl tearing it up. Troy and Logan we excited to see them and to also hear them as well.

Saturday we got out there to where we heard that tom friday night.I tried to owl hoot but we didnt hear anything except the barred owl that followed us.We decided to head to where we saw alot of scratches. Then we heard that long beard fire back at that barred owl that seem to follow us. we got set up and made some tree yelps two fired off after they flew down they shut up. It made me think they had hens with them.We decided to go out to the field between the two fields. I called those birds fired back at me and they were close but wouldn't break out of the woods and come out to the field. Then they went silent again.Troy the father and I thought they must of came right to those decoys that I left there on our first setup. we waited for a bit and heard gobbling to our south and we were thinking of heading south to where we heard the most gobbling. I used my crow call they fried off again just once and they were heading north to the other property that we had permission to hunt as well.I decided that to get back in the woods and follow them north till the woods widen then circle ahead of them.That was my plan.When we got back in the woods and started to head north. We came to a good area to call.I hit that mouth call and those birds fired off and were dierctlly a head of us.I would say 70 yds.they gobbled again on their own. they were coming in fast.I told logan to get in front this one tree that split in the middle.He was all pumped up and didnt here me to get in front of the tree and he decided to kneel behind that tree and had his between the split.His Father and I was using the same tree Troy was laid down and I was on the backside of the tree. Now Logan an Troy were facing north and I was facing South. I yelpd and were coming and gobbling and then they shut up again.Troy said to me I dont see how they couldn't see us. Right then I cut it loose.They fired off again and were heading back noth.I hit them again by yelping and I could tell they were hot and coming in.Now you guys need to remeber my back is toward the direction of the turkeys were.I couldnt see them,so I was just get the feel for them by sound.I knew they were close real close I thought they wre heading my left side towards the side.I told troy I think they are circling around. I went back to agressivly caling and they sounded like they were on top of me and us. :you_rock:. This is what I heard Me yelping gobble pause two seconds Boom.I thought god I hoped logan didnt miss.Troy turn and said Logan got him. :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:. I up got and headed front of the tree.I said troy where is it.Then I saw the black blob on the ground I looked at logan. I see him there standing frozen there in shock. lol I ran up to the bird yelling and checking it out shortly logan came up to check his bird out. His bird had a real nice thick 9 in beard .75 spurs 20 Lbs 1 oz. Logan droped him 28.5 yards. at 7 :30 4/21/12. Now we got to talking hey didnt know I didnt see any thing that took place.This is what troy and logan told me what happen.This is what Troy saw.I saw the birds come in and he said they started to head back where they came from. then you started to get more vocal they turned around and started back to us.There were two of them.I told him I thought there was one.Nope there were two he said. One that logan shot was the strutter. They were heading to the river. Logan waited till the bird came out of strut like you told him friday night. I'm glad troy and logan got to see the one strutt and also hear the one spit and drum.Logan and Troy told me that they liked not using the blind, and doing what we call run n gun. Logan said he thought it was more fun this way and both of them liked surounded by the great out doors.

logan and his dad
myself and logan
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Minnesota Mentor hunt 2012

Post by Gobbler »

Excellent hunt. :thumbup: Great pictures.

Welcome to the Gobbler Nation.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Well done, Moore. That is what it's all about.. Congrats to Logan.. Nice to see you over here..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Bravo! Congrats to everyone!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”