Football guys

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hobbes

Football guys

Post by hobbes »

I've never been a big football fan, but have enjoyed the occasional highschool game and like to watch the occasional game with friends. Condidering this, I feel somewhat out of my element posting about football, but I cant keep from bragging a little on my nephew.

Both of my brother's boys were good players but played for mediocre highschool teams. His youngest boy was a smaller kid that exploded in growth at the start of HS. He was somewhat of a lumbering giant at first, but he worked hard and developed into a really good player. He was noticed by several smaller colleges, but signed with SIU Carbondale Salukis (my own alma mater).

They've redshirted him this season, so I guess he could end up never playing. It looks like he's doing good for now. He practices offense with the first string defense. He's halfback / tightend according to my brother. I barely know what that means.
Attachments
IMG952745.png
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Football guys

Post by Hoobilly »

I don't know what that means either
My cousin Jim Haman (now a Sherrif in Florida) played college football.

hurt his knee and they wanted to shoot him full of drugs to kill the pain so he could keep on playing.

He said no. He wanted to heal the correct way and they bumped heads over it. He dropped out.

Hope you nephew can push on and actually get to play
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Good on him! Football is good for the young fellas growing up.

I know nothing about any of the games. I just make the kids do whatever the coach was having them do at practice. People think I'm lying because the kids tend to do well for little kids. All they learn from me is hunting and fishing.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

When he is redshirted it saves him a year of eligibility they must have hi hopes for him so they want to keep him to play another year.
Good Luck to him and Congratulations.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Half back= running back
Tight end= a receiver but lines up on outside of line and is used for blocking as well
Redshirt= used for freshman that need a year to grow gain strength, get used to offense etc it preserves a year of eligibility, so he could be on the team for 5 years
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Redshirted was the only thing I knew. Ive been concerned theyd just beat the hell out of him and let him go. That isnt because I dont think he's good enough, but I know college sports are crazy competitive. Of course my brother and sister-in-law worries about him more. I believe he graduated HS at 6-3:and 225ish. There was no shortage of muscle, but I suspect they'll turn him into a beast. Its funny because my brother is 5-9 or 10 and his wife is about 5-2.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hobbes wrote: October 17th, 2017, 9:18 am Redshirted was the only thing I knew. Ive been concerned theyd just beat the hell out of him and let him go. That isnt because I dont think he's good enough, but I know college sports are crazy competitive. Of course my brother and sister-in-law worries about him more. I believe he graduated HS at 6-3:and 225ish. There was no shortage of muscle, but I suspect they'll turn him into a beast. Its funny because my brother is 5-9 or 10 and his wife is about 5-2.
Or they could be really deep at his position with upper class men and will need him more in coming years.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

My brother's take on it is they like him quite a bit. I think they've got like a 100 kids total.

I think the football and school workload combined was a shock to him back when classes first started.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Our family lives for football at any level. I finally got the last of my grandkids done playing at high school, and one quit his college team after a concussion. He said being a doctor was more important than football. That only leaves Brady at New England from our family to watch, and at 40, that wont last long. I wont live long enough to watch the great grand kids play, but I sure have loved watching all the family play.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Gobbler Talk”