Hatch

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hatch

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

The last few years our birds have rebounded tremendously. Most birds I have seen since 2000 and might be better...

Normally I don't judge a hatch til fall, but riding around I am seeing poults everywhere, from fuzzy babies to almost as big as mama. Will try and post pics later..

How has your hatch been?
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hatch

Post by soiltester »

Only 1 hen with 4 youngin's as big as she is already!!
No cam pics at all, but did have 1 pic. in May, and have seen them 2 times around the yard and at the Round-up burned down food plot :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have seen them small as baseballs and half grown here
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

The only ones I seen around me was a couple days ago and they were already 3/4 grown I was shocked. Last year's hatch was worst I have had seen in past 30 yrs. This spring I seen only 2 jakes where normally see dozens.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Haven't been to the mountains where the turkeys are but it looks like we had a good hatch and survival of all upland game birds here. Easy winter and with our $100 plus coyote hide prices everyone in calling and trapping winter coyotes too.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Double post
Last edited by hobbes on August 25th, 2017, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Ive been thinking the same thing the last three days. It looks really good for the region of MT that Ive been in the last few days. Same here with poults the size of a softball to just shy of mom, most of them roughly 2/3 of mom's size.

I've not seen this many poults the last couple summers and I was i this area last summer also.

Two toms in back of line in first photo.
Attachments
20170824_123007.jpg
20170823_065128.jpg
20170823_064719.jpg
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Ditto for New Mexico,...looks like a great hatch and survival this year. I was up in the mountains for a while this last week and was really pleased with the number of hens with poults seen. Good to hear the same has occurred in other places, as well.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Fairview looks like it is trying to reclaim the title of wild turkey capital. Couple weeks ago i had a flock of 37 birds on the road in front of camp. Maybe 3-4 hens and the rest were poults. Birds seem to be everywhere. This small group is in the yard at deer camp.
Camp birds.JPG
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

redarrow wrote: August 25th, 2017, 8:19 am Fairview looks like it is trying to reclaim the title of wild turkey capital. Couple weeks ago i had a flock of 37 birds on the road in front of camp. Maybe 3-4 hens and the rest were poults. Birds seem to be everywhere. This small group is in the yard at deer camp.
Camp birds.JPG
Good to see and hear again!! :thumbup:

Need to check with one of my ole' duck & deer & turkey huntin' buds, to see if his cabin has some around yet?? ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

redarrow wrote: August 25th, 2017, 8:19 am Fairview looks like it is trying to reclaim the title of wild turkey capital. Couple weeks ago i had a flock of 37 birds on the road in front of camp. Maybe 3-4 hens and the rest were poults. Birds seem to be everywhere. This small group is in the yard at deer camp.
Camp birds.JPG
Truly believe their cyclical, we peaked 2000. Then we dipped 05 or so. Man the last five years have been tremendous. Sal and I have alot of ground spread over 3 counties and it's the same everywhere..

My favorite piece had a bachelor group in March with 35 gobblers. Very cool to see. Granted come season they dispersed.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

2016 we started to see a few birds. This year they seem to have exploded. Birds everywhere. The local grapevine says the DNR trapped a bunch of birds and shipped them to SW Mi. The following 2-3 yrs. were bad winters and wet springs.So our local population suffered. Birds were very scarce.So the DNR trapped some southern Mi. birds and released them in the Fairview area. According to the local people I have talked to the DNR admitted they screwed up. Regardless of who did what the birds were gone. Now they are back.
turks.jpg
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Just yesterday as I arrived to do some pickup skeet shooting to get ready for the upcoming pheasant season here in New York-- big Chris and I saw a very good sized flock from about 80 yards away. There had to be 20 wild turkeys give or take a few. A good 4 hens and the rest of them were poults. Orange County in New York seems to have a good hatch from what I have seen so far.
I do like the fact that the Fall Turkey season does not start until Oct 17th. Pheasant season and other seasons open up on Oct 1st and in years past I know- pheasant hunting dogs would bust up alot of flocks. Pheasant hunters now have to hold their fire.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I went and helped a buddy get ready for deer season at the farm we turkey hunt on. Very nice hatch this year, we saw over 100 birds after it rained all night. Most were very nice sized, but we saw 3 that were a month old??????? ( 10"-12" tall ) We watched a large group of gobblers for almost an hour.. Great day in the woods, Mushrooms and enough Sing to get me through the winter in my tea!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So great to hear fatmo, quaver, Iowa..

Now that I'm scouting geese I'm seeing more and more outside our wheelhouse for turkey, but taking notes as to where.

Next few years depending on winter will be epic

Return to “Gobbler Talk”