Apple tree?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Apple tree?

Post by Hoobilly »

My son and I are running behind on food plots. Hoping we get some oats beets growing before it's too late.

Patrick brought what I thought was a cherry. So we went back to the edge of the woods and took pictures. I swear it's a baby apple. Anyone know what exactly this is?
Attachments
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Apple tree?

Post by Hoobilly »

Cut one open..
Attachments
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Smelled like a apple pie when cut open

Shellwaster

Post by Shellwaster »

Taste it and I bet you won't do it again. Looks like crabapple to me. Don't know about your Midwest deer but Georgia deer do love crabapples
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shellwaster wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:02 pm Taste it and I bet you won't do it again. Looks like crabapple to me. Don't know about your Midwest deer but Georgia deer do love crabapples
So your saying it's really crap apple lol

My son thought that.. but I am tired today and only one cup of cofveve and was thinking hedge apple

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

hoobilly wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:15 pm
Shellwaster wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:02 pm Taste it and I bet you won't do it again. Looks like crabapple to me. Don't know about your Midwest deer but Georgia deer do love crabapples

My son thought that.. but I am tired today and only one cup of cofveve and was thinking hedge apple
Take a break, step back & relax :shock:

Let your son put the food plots in and get yer' senses back in order :stir:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:23 pm
hoobilly wrote: August 14th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Take a break, step back & relax :shock:

Let your son put the food plots in and get yer' senses back in order :stir:
I have a 1/2 acre lane that gets hit hard by deer and turkeys.. thats all we have left to do. hoping to get on a fall gobbler with the Tominator shotgun muzzleloader somewhere around there this fall

firedup

Post by firedup »

x2 on crab apple. Critters love em! Very hardy and they make great jelly or jam too!

Hedge apple is usually a big softball size rock hard thing.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

The deer here in Gildford, Mt. come into town at night and eat all the ripe Crab Apples they can off the trees and off the ground. Do it every night until they are gone. Coyotes come in to eat them too.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

It looks to me to be a very ripe crab apple. Besides the deer love them, I've seen turkey eat them too. I plant radishes and turnips here in Pa. and the deer go ape **** over them and anywhere we have clover mix alfalfa in with it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

firedup wrote: August 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm x2 on crab apple. Critters love em! Very hardy and they make great jelly or jam too!

Hedge apple is usually a big softball size rock hard thing.
what does the jelly-jam taste like from crab apple????
that sounds like it could be good

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Fatmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:31 am It looks to me to be a very ripe crab apple. Besides the deer love them, I've seen turkey eat them too. I plant radishes and turnips here in Pa. and the deer go ape **** over them and anywhere we have clover mix alfalfa in with it.
I have planted buck forage oats for deer and found that the turkeys will destroy a 2 acre field as soon as the seeds pop on top. I swear I was driving by our plot every day and was hoping to see the deer and turkeys hit it. Missed a couple days and drove by and about wrecked the truck.

At first I thought it had been mowed down. When i got out and looked it over, feathers and dust bowls everywhere. turkey poop so thick you couldn't miss stepping in it..

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Grumpy wrote: August 14th, 2017, 11:17 pm The deer here in Gildford, Mt. come into town at night and eat all the ripe Crab Apples they can off the trees and off the ground. Do it every night until they are gone. Coyotes come in to eat them too.
nightvision is your friend. :LMAO:

and a silencerco

redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Another vote for crab apple as well as crab apple jam. Kinda tart and sweet at the same time. We planted buckwheat this year . Crazy thing is while we were on the north end of the property discing the turkey were in the fresh turned dirt on the south end dusting. Ground had only been turned about an hour earlier. Started raing as soon as we finished seeding and the buckwheat was 2-3 inches tall in 5 days.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Hoobilly
Huh, you say a bunch of turkey's. I would love to come check out those trees in order to determine if they actually are crabapples. I would hate for your deer to eat something bad, me being the kind of animal lover that I am. Lets say late April, early May would be good for me with my busy schedule. Please PM me the address!!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Fatmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 11:46 am Hoobilly
Huh, you say a bunch of turkey's. I would love to come check out those trees in order to determine if they actually are crabapples. I would hate for your deer to eat something bad, me being the kind of animal lover that I am. Lets say late April, early May would be good for me with my busy schedule. Please PM me the address!!!
:LMAO:
Fall only. For some reason them spring gobblers skirt the property line

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2017, 2:44 pm
Fatmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 11:46 am Hoobilly
:LMAO:
Fall only. For some reason them spring gobblers skirt the property line
Go ahead and invite him Brice ... he just may "turn the tides" on that jinx :shock: :stir: :LMAO:

I could tell a true story similar to what you're seeing on that property!! :banghead:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

No need to give me a tour of the property line. I'll figure it out! Just send me the key to the gate and the address. One way or another those birds will be back on your property. just disregard the man on the answering machine that sounds like your neighbor, it is just a telemarketer that speaks good English for once. (More than likely it will still be bad English)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Fatmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 4:29 pm No need to give me a tour of the property line. I'll figure it out! Just send me the key to the gate and the address. One way or another those birds will be back on your property. just disregard the man on the answering machine that sounds like your neighbor, it is just a telemarketer that speaks good English for once. (More than likely it will still be bad English)
My niece and I did a double on gobblers this spring... however, I have had a eye problem and am right eye dominant.

I been shooting left handed off and on a couple years now and have been able to switch back n forth.

Had a incident with my eye again before turkey season and had been using my left eye more. by the time Indiana opened I felt confident using my right eye. I guess missing three different gobblers should have told me to shoot left handed.

When my niece and I doubled, i drew blood, but it must have only part of the pattern hitting him in the neck. There was a little big of blood. Hers died instantly and mine... we'll he r u n n oft :LMAO:

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

soiltester wrote: August 15th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Go ahead and invite him Brice ... he just may "turn the tides" on that jinx :shock: :stir: :LMAO:

I could tell a true story similar to what you're seeing on that property!! :banghead:
well my son is 24 and chases turkeys.. and rides dirt bikes and four wheelers and has a Jeep Cherokee

well I bet you can understand why they skirt the property some.

I had a little talk with him this spring about not bajaing in the field

Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I'm just busting your stones, I have plenty of other birds I can shoot. Funny thing is I too have an eye disease and right eye dominant. I didn't go with some buddies out west this turkey hunting or any other, because the Va. was trying to get me situated with special, custom contact lenses. They now have me going to the UPMC eye center in Pittsburgh and I can see much better. I put scopes on all my shotguns with a 1 x 4 power and I think it could get ugly next spring.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2017, 8:46 am
Fatmo wrote: August 15th, 2017, 5:31 am It looks to me to be a very ripe crab apple. Besides the deer love them, I've seen turkey eat them too. I plant radishes and turnips here in Pa. and the deer go ape **** over them and anywhere we have clover mix alfalfa in with it.
I have planted buck forage oats for deer and found that the turkeys will destroy a 2 acre field as soon as the seeds pop on top. I swear I was driving by our plot every day and was hoping to see the deer and turkeys hit it. Missed a couple days and drove by and about wrecked the truck.

At first I thought it had been mowed down. When i got out and looked it over, feathers and dust bowls everywhere. turkey poop so thick you couldn't miss stepping in it..
Are u planting BFO so early they head out in fall?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 15th, 2017, 9:44 pm
hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2017, 8:46 am

Are u planting BFO so early they head out in fall?
try and get it seeded so i can bow hunt them eating them seeds

Return to “Gobbler Talk”