South Dakota...April 15...2012

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
perrysbirds

South Dakota...April 15...2012

Post by perrysbirds »

Well with my trophy gobbler down and done in Wyoming I still had a South Dakota Black hills tag in my pocket.I will give the landowner alot of credit as she was just great to me...I would have been happy enough for her to point me in the National forest public land but she had other plans....She must of had about 8 or 10 people with property in South Dakota that she knew and soon enough she had found me some private property along the Belle Fourche river in the Black hills of South Dakota...We rushed there the evening after I killed my Wyoming bird and I had a few mins of daylight to look at the 5000 acres and the landowner told me theres about 20 or 30 birds here everyday in the morning...Well I gave him a big thanks for letting me hunt your property...
The Next morning comes and I make the 45 min drive to this property in South Dakota and I have no idea once again where to setup....Well once again as daylight aproaches I hear not one gobbler sound off but about 6 or 7 at the same time...Ive never heard this much gobbling...they were gobbling at each other...
Once again I had to move a little closer and sure enough I got in position where I thought I would be comfortable...This time I had no decoy...I had lost my metal bar to my buckwing bobblehead on the Wyoming hunt.
I was close enough to the birds I could see them in the trees before they flew down..
Now I was about to try something new for the first time I felt confident enough to try to kill one using the Mouthcall.....(Turkey Thugs)
I watched the birds fly down from the other side of the Belle Fourche river unto my hunting side....it was really cool...
I tried my best to give a few soft yelps on the mouthcall...the birds I could see them all struting and putting on a show for the hens...
One lone gobbler decided he liked my mouth calling well enough that he took off towards me...all I could see was that gobbler just running towards me and that beard and chest swaying back and forth....he looked for the hen that wasnt there at about 15-20 yards...he struted and gobbled and then the Remington 870 roared one more time and it was all over...I had my second Merriams on the ground...
I wasnt suppose to come back til Thursday but I decided to leave early as I would have never thought It was going to work out the way it did on my trip..
21 lbs
3/4 inch matching spurs
9 inch beard
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: South Dakota...April 15...2012

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the nice gobbler, eh.. Sounds like you ran into some real nice people, to boot. Great hunt..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Congrats....what's the red thing under the gobbler??? Hahaha
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Cool hunt. Yea what is the red thing.
Mike
perrysbirds