Wyoming opener....april 14th

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
perrysbirds

Wyoming opener....april 14th

Post by perrysbirds »

Well I just got back home from my Wyoming and South Dakota trip.I wasnt suppose to fly back to Ontario until this Thursday but I had not much of a choice..
Anyways...I arrived on Friday the 13th in the afternoon at about 3 oclock in Wyoming...The landowner says to me right away "Lets do some scouting and I will take you around our property to see if we can see some turkeys".I was pumped no doubt...I didnt realize how fast you can scout 30,000 acres in a truck but it went by pretty fast...Boy did I ever get discouraged...we never saw a single turkey...So he told me the truck was mine for the week...at around 7pm that evening I did the tour again and tried to find some birds,I did everything....I stopped the truck and listened at several places...I tried to roost a bird with a crowcall....Nothing not a single bird...I got back to the RV I was staying in and thought to myself...wow not a single bird....I sat in the RV and had a couple of beers and though about what I was going to do in the morning and where I would go....So anyways I rememberd the landowner saying he saw a few birds a couple of weeks ago in this certain area...So I thought to myself Im going to give that area a try....Next morning comes and I go to this area of the property and I walking up the hill just as its starting to break daylight...Bingo...about 200 yards away im guessing up in the hills I hear a gobble.....just a stroke of luck Im guessing...anyways I try to get as close a possible to this bird and sure enough he is giving away his location by continuing to gobble....I figure I got about 80 yards away from this bird and I hit the ground...I put out good old buckwing bobble head in a place I figure he will see my decoy and I find a place to setup...I grab the first potcall out of my vest which happened to be my triple threat...(my vest is full) and gave him a few soft tree yelps and he responsed right away.... when I look up the hill he popped around this big tree in full Strut and he is gobbling his head off as he heads down the hill towards my decoy..this bird had no hens and he was hot...it didnt take him long to get almost right up on my decoy....I saw his fan and I knew he was a good one and at 15 yards he had no idea what hit him.....I let my remington 870 and the hevi 13s do the rest for me and I had my trophy Merriams on the ground on opening morning in Wyoming..
A hunt I will never forget...

20 lbs
3/4 inch matching spurs
9 1/4 inch beard
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wyoming opener....april 14th

Post by Hognutz »

Very nice.. Great pictures. He sure is a pretty bird..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”