WI "A" Season Hunt Short And Sweet

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
gutone4me

WI "A" Season Hunt Short And Sweet

Post by gutone4me »

After receiving notice I had drawn a 2012 WI "A" season turkey tag the real "work" began. The trail cameras were set and the monitoring began. I was getting a lot of turkeys photos and some really nice toms were on the property. To say I was excited would be an understatement. The two weeks leading up to opening day (April 11) were filled with anticipation and strutting tom photos. The only problem was all the photos were from mid-morning on until roost time.

So as I headed into the turkey woods on Wednesday April 11 in the predawn darkness greeted by a chilly 19 degrees. Let's just say I didn't have high hopes for the morning hunt but was pretty excited to get back out there after work. Little did I know my attitude would change very quickly.

I reached the blind about 5:45 AM and it wasn't long before the gobblefest began ! I had a pair of gobblers to my left and another about 300 yards off to my right. They gobbled almost nonstop until 6:15 answering every turkey noise I made. Then the pair on my left flew down I could also hear hens with them and I knew my chances weren't as good now.

Finally the one way off on my right pitched down and cut the distance between us in half. And was on the way he didn't gobble often but just enough to allow me to keep tabs on him. Pretty soon I see the white head periscope over the crest in the field then disappear and the tips of a tail fan would appear in it's place. What a great site ! The pair of toms on my left gobbled and his fate was set as he wanted some of the action but had to walk 12 yards in front of me to get there. When he entered the center window of my blind I let out a cluck he raised his head and got a face full of 5 shot from my 870.

He weighed 21.8 lbs. and had a 9 inch beard with 5/8 spurs. A nice 2 year old tom that put on a good show for me and almost allowed my to be to work on time as it was 6:35 AM when I pulled the trigger. Short and sweet ! I do have mixed emotions about waiting all year to turkey hunt and have it be over that fast but I have a couple more tags for later seasons and will get to scracth the itch again !

Hero shots are very difficult when hunting alone. I tried to take advantage of my trail cameras but didn't have the best luck. I did catch the aftermath of the shot on my trail camera also. Here are the links to more pitures and the video.

From trail camera video

The video ....

Stic-N-Pic Prostaff
DLC Covert Prostaff
Monster Raxx Prostaff
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: WI "A" Season Hunt Short And Sweet

Post by Gobbler »

Really cool hunt and that video was great.

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nicely done.. Congrats on the nice bird. Your pictures are always great..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Great job!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Is that all the tags your allowed up there? You get another crack at birds later?
gutone4me

Post by gutone4me »

Gobbler wrote:Is that all the tags your allowed up there? You get another crack at birds later?
I have another tag for the first week of May then there are almost unlimited tags for the next 2 weeks so I will get more chances to hunt. I may sneak over to MN for a weekend hunt also.
Stic-N-Pic Prostaff
DLC Covert Prostaff
Monster Raxx Prostaff

Return to “Gobbler Talk”