THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

Post by quavers16 »

In recent years of reading and viewing pics of anything turkey hunting related in the outdoor mags- I am reading about Spring hunters actually sprinting to that gobbler at the top of their speed if that tom will not come to their calls. If this happens on public land-- the next hunter may not be able to call in a spooked and scared gobbler. I'm sure these Spring hunters have taken hundreds of turkeys being this aggressive and fast-- but what about the guy who hunts after them and comes out without a gobbler. I guess, I am old school- but sprinting towards a tom who plants his feet sends the wrong message to the newer Spring Turkey hunters who will follow suit.
Jamey

Re: THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

Post by Jamey »

I'll bite...never heard of such.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I can't imagine how or why anyone could make this work ,where did you hear or read this ?
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Never heard or read anything about this. Source(s)??
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Never, ever, read such a tactic even hinted at.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

That's about one of the dumbest things I've ever heard ! :slap:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

vaturkey wrote:That's about one of the dumbest things I've ever heard ! :slap:
I'm suspicious.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Jimmied crickets it's here too gosh..Insert SMH emoji

Sent from somewhere deep in West By God
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I only knew one guy that was fast enough to run down those mature Tom turkeys and hit them in the head with a stick, he never used a gun. Here in this country where the pavement ends and the west begins there used to be a snake here called the Hoop Snake. Now Hoop Snakes had only one defense from predators and unless they had been spooked you would only find them on the top of steep hill next to the edge. If spooked or attacked the Hoop Snake would bite it's tail and roll down the hill at a very fast speed like a runaway bicycle tire, no one could catch them.
Well, almost no one except for "Too Tall Timmy" he caught them and sold them to pet stores and now are very rare to see one in the wild, been on the endangered species list for going on 50 years now. Well "Too Tall" could run those turkeys down and whack em in the head with a stick if they wouldn't come into his callin'. Some people said he was so fast he could actual jump and it would take a second or two for his shadow to catch up with him. I think that may be what you were reading in that old Playboy magazine you found in your grandpa's garage attic.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I know a man who grew up a gamekeeper's son on a lowcountry plantation on the Savannah River. He hunted birds from his back porch. His dad was a stone cold turkey killer and so is the son. He once told me that he had killed a bunch of birds that would hang up with a brush screen between him and the bird. He would get up and run towards the bird, clucking with a mouth caller. The bird would often freeze until he was in gun range. I tried it one time many years ago. I ran through the brush screen clucking and sure enough, the bird squatted and froze. By then my gun, a ten gauge double, weighing 11 lbs. loaded, was bobbing up and down and the bird burst into the air followed by two loud booms. For all I know he is still flying and that stupid turkey hunter stunt was never to be repeated by me. Gil
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Ive got a buddy that stalked in on a gobbler years ago hiding behind round bails getting as close as he could. He needed a few more yds to be in gun range, so he ran out from behind the last bail towards the bird those last few yds and killed it.

Thats the only time ive ever of this being done.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've busted up flocks in the fall by running right at them, because I don't have a turkey dog. A lot of the time, I can cover about 10 or 20 yards before the birds panic and run.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

I remember back in the 70s one of my turkey hunting friends called the last day of the season "Fly or Die" morning for the turkey. They always flew. :)
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A friend of mine whose nickname is Milo, after announcer Milo Hamilton, developed a hunting technique for ducks and geese called "The Milo Charge". He would sneak as close to birds as he could undetected, then when he ran out of "sneak" he would charge them. Milo and I have hunted together for 49 years, and I have never witnessed a successful "Milo Charge". Admittedly, age, weight, and wisdom have spelled the demise of the "Milo Charge".
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

I don't think they sprint in sight of the Tom, I think they move in very fast to a good calling position. I have done it successfully for years(walking, not running). Yes, I will bumb birds sometimes. Its all part of the game. Its NOT screwing it up for you, I have many times gone in next day & killed a spooked Tom, even a shot at & missed Tom. Their just turkeys, don't over think it. Quavers, if you don't want anyone in your spots, stop advertising them online. Mike
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Anybody else remember that story Gene Nunnery wrote about where the fellas would abandon their overalls and crawl backwards toward the turkey? Ha. I have killed some turkeys by calling and then sprinting up another forty yards. That put them hung up at about thirty yards instead of the seventy they previously hung up at.

My advice on figuring how to kill gobblers despite changes is don't shoot jakes and let a two year old walk once in a while. It is difficult to increase understanding if you blast everything that comes within range of your gun.
RapscallionVermilion

THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

decoykrvr wrote:A friend of mine whose nickname is Milo, after announcer Milo Hamilton, developed a hunting technique for ducks and geese called "The Milo Charge". He would sneak as close to birds as he could undetected, then when he ran out of "sneak" he would charge them. Milo and I have hunted together for 49 years, and I have never witnessed a successful "Milo Charge". Admittedly, age, weight, and wisdom have spelled the demise of the "Milo Charge".
I had a fellow do a Milo Charge on my decoys once. You could tell he didn't feel too good about it.
poorcountrypreacher

howl wrote:Anybody else remember that story Gene Nunnery wrote about where the fellas would abandon their overalls and crawl backwards toward the turkey? Ha. I have killed some turkeys by calling and then sprinting up another forty yards. That put them hung up at about thirty yards instead of the seventy they previously hung up at.

My advice on figuring how to kill gobblers despite changes is don't shoot jakes and let a two year old walk once in a while. It is difficult to increase understanding if you blast everything that comes within range of your gun.
I agree on the jakes, but how can you age a 2 yr old until you kill him? I've killed 2 yr olds that weighed over 22 lbs, 10" beard, and 1" spurs. I've killed much older turkeys that weighed 15 lbs. Here in the southeast, amber in the end of the beard is the surest indicator, but you gotta kill him to know.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
howl wrote:Anybody else remember that story Gene Nunnery wrote about where the fellas would abandon their overalls and crawl backwards toward the turkey? Ha. I have killed some turkeys by calling and then sprinting up another forty yards. That put them hung up at about thirty yards instead of the seventy they previously hung up at.

I agree on the jakes, but how can you age a 2 yr old until you kill him? I've killed 2 yr olds that weighed over 22 lbs, 10" beard, and 1" spurs. I've killed much older turkeys that weighed 15 lbs. Here in the southeast, amber in the end of the beard is the surest indicator, but you gotta kill him to know.
I check their IDs.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:
Well...I know a fella that studies spurs through binoculars. He tries hard not to kill 2 year olds, and is pretty successful at it. Maybe if I was overrun with birds and could hunt every day it'd be different, but for me...mature=dead.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

OK, one that acts like a two year old or any other kind of way that does not make you regard him as an especially desirable trophy. What you are willing to let walk in the interest of learning something is your business. If I haven't killed one yet, I'll walk away from a bird that acts older to go find an easier gobbler. Later, I might walk a younger gobbler to have a chance at being schooled by an old character bird.

I even let walk an older bird this year and was rewarded with a full view of the subdominant 3+ year bird in action doing the sneak in the back by thicket and ghost around behind play. I had never actually watched on do it before, though I have killed them and guessed. Or have been beat by it, etc. Coulda killed him twice. That pencil thin dragging the ground beard will be mine if he makes it to next season.

I am not trying to diminish the quality of anyone else's trophy, no matter the age. My comment was directed at making a practice of killing just anything legal and complaining about other people making the hunting more difficult. There's more to it than that. Making an effort to come around to the more there is to it would be to their benefit.
poorcountrypreacher

Well, to each his own. To me, a longbeard is a longbeard. It's not about how long his spurs are to me; it's all about the quality of the hunt he provides. I've passed up longbeards that I just walked up on, or that just walked up on me. But I'm not really concerned with how old he is if he is gobbling and responding to my calls.

And I have hunted turkeys a long time and I know I can't age one with a long beard until I kill him. The last one I killed in AL had no spur on one leg and a sickly looking 1/2" spur on the other. Anyone trying to age him by looking at his spurs thru a bino would have been sure he was 2, but he weighed 20 lbs and had a nice beard with no amber at all in the end. He was at least 3, but what I will remember is that last gobble about 30 yards away just before he came over the hill and I saw him.

Whatever your goals for turkey hunting, I wish everyone the utmost of success. Choosing not to shoot one because he doesn't meet your goal is always an admirable thing.

Good hunting to all.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

howl wrote:OK, one that acts like a two year old or any other kind of way that does not make you regard him as an especially desirable trophy. What you are willing to let walk in the interest of learning something is your business. If I haven't killed one yet, I'll walk away from a bird that acts older to go find an easier gobbler. Later, I might walk a younger gobbler to have a chance at being schooled by an old character bird.

I even let walk an older bird this year and was rewarded with a full view of the subdominant 3+ year bird in action doing the sneak in the back by thicket and ghost around behind play. I had never actually watched on do it before, though I have killed them and guessed. Or have been beat by it, etc. Coulda killed him twice. That pencil thin dragging the ground beard will be mine if he makes it to next season.

I am not trying to diminish the quality of anyone else's trophy, no matter the age. My comment was directed at making a practice of killing just anything legal and complaining about other people making the hunting more difficult. There's more to it than that. Making an effort to come around to the more there is to it would be to their benefit.
I like eating em too much to let any mature bird that came to my calling walk away.
El Sicario
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Read the replys here. I can tell members here what I have seen in past Spring hunts. I remember Craig. Met him one morning on public land as he was going out and I was about to walk the area he just came out of---a huge area of 3 fields with swamps around them. Tried to bar my way to (his) area. Another day that Spring-- Craig who was no more then 18 with zero bodyfat was sprinting through a swamp that I was turkey hunting in one early morn with a few gobblers roosted. He spooked them with the splashing before he got in gun range to roll one off the roost. My hunt there was done.
On another Spring hunt- I was half way across a field and taking my box caller out- I hit some yelps. A gobble response in the next field! A rockwall with heavy brush kept me hidden as I reflected. 100 yards away and straight down from where I was hal-way to that rockwall- I saw quick movement. Another turkey hunter was entered that field after hearing that loud gobble. He saw me and made a mad sprint to the rockwall and the next field. He spooked the gobbler.
So this stuff does happen(sometimes) on public lands. Most times the sprinter does not know another turkey hunter is watching close by. Both my Brother in law- Mark and I remember (john) or as his license plates will tell-- gobbler#1. He cost both Mark and I 3 toms each and he was 74 those 10 years ago.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:Well, to each his own. To me, a longbeard is a longbeard. It's not about how long his spurs are to me; it's all about the quality of the hunt he provides. I've passed up longbeards that I just walked up on, or that just walked up on me. But I'm not really concerned with how old he is if he is gobbling and responding to my calls.

And I have hunted turkeys a long time and I know I can't age one with a long beard until I kill him. The last one I killed in AL had no spur on one leg and a sickly looking 1/2" spur on the other. Anyone trying to age him by looking at his spurs thru a bino would have been sure he was 2, but he weighed 20 lbs and had a nice beard with no amber at all in the end. He was at least 3, but what I will remember is that last gobble about 30 yards away just before he came over the hill and I saw him.

Whatever your goals for turkey hunting, I wish everyone the utmost of success. Choosing not to shoot one because he doesn't meet your goal is always an admirable thing.

Good hunting to all.

There will be NO, none what so ever and I mean ZERO

Catch and Release Turkey Hunting Stories, pictures of any other BS about the bird being released because the spurs were to short or the fan was too small . Suck it up Buttercup kill what you can!!!!
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”