THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS

Post by Gobbler »

I have not heard of this but I have heard of a technique a guy told me years ago where if the gobbler hung up . He would stand up and put his gun to his cheek and walk directly to it.
Every once in a while get close enough and shoot it. I told him no way and I dismissed it because I like calling them in.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

Gobbler wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:15 pm I have not heard of this but I have heard of a technique a guy told me years ago where if the gobbler hung up . He would stand up and put his gun to his cheek and walk directly to it.
Every once in a while get close enough and shoot it. I told him no way and I dismissed it because I like calling them in.
I know an old chap that does it with a crow call. its the only way he hunts, dosent even own a turkey call. I call him elmer fudd,lol.
El Sicario
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

soiltester wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:46 am He says he'll "NEVER" hunt a peacock .. oh, I mean Ocellated :lol:
Going to be a fun trip this year again in Mexico, when he heads to complete another Royal Slam in 18 :thumbup:
My sentiments exactly. I have had a few opportunities to go shoot one of them but, being the poor soul I am, I have never been able to justify the cost of going down there to do it. ...And did I Mention my wife would kill me... :shock:
You can have five really good hunts for "real turkeys" up here for what one trip down there costs.... :mrgreen:
Now, if I was flush like some of you guys are, I would do it just to say I did it,...and have a peacock on my wall. Come to think of it, I know a farmer close by that has peacocks that I could probably get one from. I could always point at it and say I got it in Central America. ....Think that would work?... :toothy7:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

GobbleNut wrote: March 6th, 2018, 12:21 pm
soiltester wrote: March 5th, 2018, 9:46 am He says he'll "NEVER" hunt a peacock .. oh, I mean Ocellated :lol:
Going to be a fun trip this year again in Mexico, when he heads to complete another Royal Slam in 18 :thumbup:
My sentiments exactly. I have had a few opportunities to go shoot one of them but, being the poor soul I am, I have never been able to justify the cost of going down there to do it. ...And did I Mention my wife would kill me... :shock:
You can have five really good hunts for "real turkeys" up here for what one trip down there costs.... :mrgreen:
Now, if I was flush like some of you guys are, I would do it just to say I did it,...and have a peacock on my wall. Come to think of it, I know a farmer close by that has peacocks that I could probably get one from. I could always point at it and say I got it in Central America. ....Think that would work?... :toothy7:
It's worth a try on the peacock .. but maybe go to New Zealand, I believe, where they hunt them in the wild with dogs!!! :thumbup:

Yup, that's what Larry says also, "real turkeys" that will respond to turkey callin' ;)
U B right, I've got a peacock hangin' from my wall, just to say I did it .. but never, never again :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Speaking of peacocks, my wife wanted to go to Hawaii last spring. I said "okay,...but I am going to go turkey hunting while we are there". After "negotiations" we ended up going. It was pretty cool because they had wild peacocks running around in one of the places we turkey hunted. I was told they were not a protected species by some local hunters, and I was really tempted to shoot one when I ran into it while turkey hunting. That bird was absolutely beautiful,...but I could not bring myself to pull the trigger on him.
Then again, if you had one of them mounted, they would take up an entire wall! ...Cool birds, though,...just not turkeys...
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

peacock boobs aint big enuff fer me
El Sicario

Return to “Gobbler Talk”