Gas and miles driven during Georgia season

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Gas and miles driven during Georgia season

Post by GLS »

My 2003 4x4 Sequoia has a gas gauge that isn't a reliable indicator of gas in the tank. It has a 25 gallon tank. To insure that I don't run out of gas, I keep a notebook in the truck and reset the trip meters when I fill up and write down mileage and gas put in. When I get close to 300 miles on the trip meter, I refill. Sometimes the gas gauge is accurate, but not enough to be dependable. I usually have 5-7 gallons in the tank before refilling. From March 26 to May 12, I refilled the tank 10 times, putting in 180 gallons and drove 2,627 miles for an average of 14.59 miles per gallon. Averaging $2.25 per gallon (S.W.A.G.), it cost me $405 to hunt this season. I only use this vehicle for hunting and try to keep the miles off of it by driving another car to work. I have 195,187 miles on it and plan on driving it into the sunset of my hunting career. I will repower it as needed. Anybody else hanging on to an old truck? Gil
Last edited by GLS on May 26th, 2017, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fisherxp

Re: Gas and miles driven during Georiga season

Post by fisherxp »

HOW MANY MILES PER TURKEY??????
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I have an 07 1/2 ton dodge that I have put 356,000 miles on it. Figure I will drive it till it falls apart. It traveled to Alabama, Kansas, and Nebraska twice this year.
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

Most (99.9%) of my turkey hunting here in MT is 5-6 hours away @ 75 mph 350-400 miles 1 way. Turkeys aint cheap
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

GLS wrote:My 2003 4x4 Sequoia has a gas gauge that isn't a reliable indicator of gas in the tank. It has a 25 gallon tank. To insure that I don't run out of gas, I keep a notebook in the truck and reset the trip meters when I fill up and write down mileage and gas put in. When I get close to 300 miles on the trip meter, I refill. Sometimes the gas gauge is accurate, but not enough to be dependable. I usually have 5-7 gallons in the tank before refilling. From March 26 to May 12, I refilled the tank 10 times, putting in 180 gallons and drove 2,627 miles for an average of 14.59 miles per gallon. Averaging $2.25 per gallon (S.W.A.G.), it cost me $405 to hunt this season. I only use this vehicle for hunting and try to keep the miles off of it by driving another car to work. I have 195,187 miles on it and plan on driving it into the sunset of my hunting career. I will repower it as needed. Anybody else hanging on to an old truck? Gil
I traveled down to my club a total of 4 times. Round trip is about 312 miles. 1,248 miles 25 gallon tank.. If I tow my trailer and 4 wheeler, it will burn a half tank or a little more, if I don't, It will burn between somewhere between a the quarter tank and half tank marks. One way. Round trip I will say it burns a little less than a tank without the trailer, and more than a tank with it. Usually when the low fuel light comes on, I will put 21 gallons in it. That is usually around the 325 to 330 mile mark. Math is coming out to around 15.7ish MPG without the trailer. Add the trailer and 4 wheeler, dropping down to 12-13MPG Easy highway miles. No city driving..

My truck is a 03 F-150. At the moment 310K original miles. I bought the truck brand new in December of 02. It had 14 miles on the odometer. Original motor and tranny. It's a 4x4 Lariat. I have zero complaints with this truck. It has been and still is a good one. I've recently had to replace some worn out parts, but they lasted over 300K. Upper/Lower Ball Joints, both front hub bearings, AND....the rear end. The rear end was screwed up by a mechanic that got in over his head trying to replace the axel seals and the front seal........... He messed with the gearing and didn't and didn't install it back correctly.............................. Found a used one from a truck that lived its life out west. 140K on it.

I didn't count my close to the house hunts. I'm guessing a couple hundred miles to add on.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I drove a 98 Expedition 4x4 until it took a dump two years ago. Bought a 2010 Tundra 4x4 and plan on doing the same with it. I travel a few miles a year turkey hunting. I've been known to be sitting on the couch with no intentions of going anywhere, then get a phone call and 10 minutes later I'm in the vehicle on a 8 hour one way hunting trip.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
MAK

Post by MAK »

2003 Ranger 150,000 plus miles, i hope it runs forever..........

My turkey hunting opportunities are 100 miles from my house, but 2 miles from my Mom's - where I stay and she takes care of her little boy; I'm 62 Mom's 90 - and has more energy than I do.
MAK
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

GLS, is that a turkey behind that hunter in your avatar? Whenever anyone asks me where to find a gobbler, I reply that sitting directly behind me is about the best spot in the woods. If that is available as a print, I'd appreciate a pointer to the source.

I was hanging onto an old truck, but my wife finally killed it several years ago. It took her three tries, but she finally wrecked it badly enough. Technically, I may have been able to beat it around enough with a sledge to drive it but she had it towed before I got there. The wrecker bill was about the value of the truck, so I just gave them the title to settle the bill.

My furthest spots are 45 minutes from the house. Most are less. I had too much luck early on and I take the first two weeks of April off as a rule, so I didn't have to drive that much this year.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

My full size pickup is a 1983 Dodge D-150 with a built up 318 engine and it gets 14-18 mpg depending on how fast I drive it, my other truck that I drive everywhere hunting and my trapping truck and everyday run to town truck is a 1987 Toyota 4X4 extended cab pickup it gets between 22 and 24 mpg and sometimes under the right conditions I can get 26 mpg. I like these older trucks, they are built so much better and tougher than all this new tin computerized stuff, cheaper to insure, cheaper license plates and will do anything the new stuff can do. go from point A to point B. Plus they both have been paid for a long time ago, like 20 plus years ago.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Howl, Gordon Allen is the artist and a former neighbor. When he was 20, he illustrated Gene Hill's Mostly Tailfeathers. Here is the etching:
http://gordonallenart.com/collections/22303

Grumpy, that little Toyota is one tough truck. The 22R 4 cylinder engine is one of the best ever. A buddy has the 1987 extended cab. He replaced the bed. He was a shrimper and it rusted out. At 287,000 he broke the timing belt but had in storage a new 22R from a wreck. His son stripped it of fuel injection, and topped it off with the 2 barrel carb. One helluva little truck and will outlive us all.

Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gas and miles driven during Georgia season

Post by GLS »

My drive to work car is my wife-to daughter-to me hand me down. I used to drive the Toyota all the time,but since we've had a 1997 Volvo 960 wagon for over 18 years, I put about 6K on it yearly. It was rarely driven after our daughter went to college 7 years ago. I cashed in my 1997 T100 in the cash for clunker program with a value of $4700 against a new (2010) Outback for my daughter. I started driving the Volvo to work, but I damn near killed it Monday when I was t-boned. It's not worth being repaired, but once I get the seat belt fixed, I am driving the wreck. AC works and only has 165,000 miles on it. I'll be the scourge of the neighborhood with a 21 year old car looking worse, but I am at the age that I don't care what others think. <g> And it will keep the miles off the Sequoia. Gil
trap4fur

Post by trap4fur »

Wow I guess I'm pretty lucky I tagged out walking behind the house for 8 years now but I do hunt another state or 2 each spring but my brother drives lol
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

GLS wrote:Howl, Gordon Allen is the artist and a former neighbor. When he was 20, he illustrated Gene Hill's Mostly Tailfeathers. Here is the etching:
http://gordonallenart.com/collections/22303

Grumpy, that little Toyota is one tough truck. The 22R 4 cylinder engine is one of the best ever. A buddy has the 1987 extended cab. He replaced the bed. He was a shrimper and it rusted out. At 287,000 he broke the timing belt but had in storage a new 22R from a wreck. His son stripped it of fuel injection, and topped it off with the 2 barrel carb. One helluva little truck and will outlive us all.

Gil

Gil this one has 220,000, never drips a drop of anything and the boxes on these seem to all rust out bad at the seam half way up the side of the box, mine is still like new, I have asked this little truck to go up and out of some pretty scary steep stuff and it just climbs it's heart out and goes over the top, I am really impressed with it. Had a head crack 2 yrs. ago and had a new one put on, no one has any idea why it cracked the truck never was run hot. If this engine needs replaced in my life time which is probably getting pretty short, I will drop in a brand new engine over in Portland, ebay is full of the engines .
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

I can hear turkeys gobbling from my patio but it's all the out of state trips that kill my funds with gas. I'm just glad turkey season and duck season has a summer split to build up my gas money funds.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Grumpster, a buddy had a lease in the Big Bend area of TX. (loaded with turkeys). The landowner let us use his 1984 Toyota trucks. They predated the extended cabs and were bright red without a bit of rust. The tires were all plugged to repair many punctures as this part of TX will either stick you or bite you depending on plant or animal. Thorns on mesquite and cactus will puncture tires. These trucks were like mountain goats in the terrain. I'd love to have one. Gil
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Put approximately 12,500 miles on my 2004 F-150 this spring. Started keeping track the week before the season opened here in Mississippi. First OOS trip I made was to Louisiana. Second was to Oklahoma/Louisiana. Next up was Alabama. Then Missouri. And finally Wyoming/Montana/Nebraska.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Wow! there are some real road hazards out there running around during turkey season! LOL. I use my 09 F150 for long road trips but for the most part my WV ridge runner is a 1993 Toyota 4x4 extended cab PU. V6 version. I bought it new and its been in the family ever since. Real close to 200K and purrs like a kitten. We call it "The Rat Truck", because its what I do all my rattin' around in. Body is getting exceptionally rough but inside looks great and the original AC still chills ya! LOL.

I have another 1994 4x4 extended cab PU with the 22R engine just sitting here. 200K on it to. I always intended it to be the NEW rat truck but the original just keeps going. Plus its got new fenders, bed side and bunch of other stuff. It is actually a pretty nice truck. Be a dang shame to trash it the way I normally do.

Interesting thread... :thumbleft:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Hoping Mark Sharpe chips in. He might have us all beat with mileage. Gil
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, I'm probably one of the low men on the pole. The WMA connects to our property on two sides, so we have turkeys from here to wherever. I went practically every single day of the season, morn and eve for a few hours. Not an all day hunter anymore.
Usually back home by 8 or 9. Don't hardly go anywhere else since I got hurt.
fountain

Post by fountain »

I'm hanging on to a 94 Toyota single cab truck. I bought it in 05 and I believe it's the longest I've kept a vehicle. It was my daily (still is) while my toys stayed home and only came out on pretty weekend days. Today, it's still my daily and many hunting rig. It now has a new motor and tranny so I hope it will last me a good long while.
It's camo..similar to bottomland..with 33" boggers, 4:88 gears and soon to be new interior. It was getting 20 mpg with 33" swampers, but I lifted the front end 1.5" and went to the boggers and now gets 15.5 mpg. 175,000 miles...and i hope many more. Its hauled a lot of critters out of the S GA woods
fountain

Post by fountain »

Firedup, I would love to take that extra can Toyota off of your hands! If mine would magically grow and extra little can, it would be the perfect hunting truck for me. If you were in ga, id sure come get it
compturkeyhunter

Post by compturkeyhunter »

Tacoma 4 door
Same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

I hunt out of a 98 wrangler, have had it for 13 years and put 120k+ miles on it hunting. It has been a good one, 4.0 liter straight 6 and a 5 speed. I love the fact I can actually work on it to keep it on the road unlike most of what's sold today.
turkeybuster

Post by turkeybuster »

87 Toyota 4x4....350,000...second engine...1clutch...more dirt miles than highway.still in mint condition(lol)
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

1989 Toyota pickup. 143k miles. I am the 2nd owner. Only gets driven about 6 weeks a year. 22RE, 5-speed, 35" tires, and 4.88 gears. It is a hunting machine that will get me almost anywhere I want to go.
WP_20170502_002 (Small).jpg
Ultimate Predator

Return to “Gobbler Talk”