MT Season as of 4/18

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hobbes

MT Season as of 4/18

Post by hobbes »

Myself and a buddy filled a couple tags last week.* On Thursday we were set up on a tom that hung up strutting back and forth in a field but a distant tom got closer and closer until he'd circled behind us.* I got part way turned around while my buddy kept looking forward toward tom number one.* Tom number 2 came in strutting and drumming behind us, but too far to my right then behind me.* He finally made it around so that my buddy could swing to his left (we are both right handed) and kill him after the tom started clucking and realized something wasn't right.
We moved on tom number one because he didn't care for the shotgun blast.* He gobbled several times, but had no interest in coming to the call.* An hour later we had another tom located.* After moving on him a couple times, we had him coming.* He too decided to change the rule book and come in nearly behind me up a steep draw.* After standing at the bottom out of site for 15 minutes, he finally started moving up to us.* He was going to pop out anywhere from 25 yards to 10 yards depending on his route up the draw so I stayed on the call to keep him gobbling.* I needed to have my gun pointed at him when he came up.* He gave me one last gobble just before strutting out of the draw nearly down the gun barrel at 25 yards.* There was a few tense seconds before he strutted into a clear shooting window at 23 yards and I filled my first tag of 2017.
Back at camp
We still had two more days to hunt, more tags to fill, and a spot to check out in the next district that wasn't too far of a drive. We did some driving and scouting that evening to locate birds.* We found some birds late that evening just before they went to roost.* That night a little bit of rain rolled in along with cooler temperatures.* The worst of it was the wind.* The rain was done well before morning but the wind wouldn't let up.* I really thought that our hunt for that day was probably going to be a bust, but we headed to the same area where we'd seen the birds the evening before.* We were finally able to hear a gobble between gusts then spotted the flock moving into a spot out of the wind.* The terrain didn't allow for us to move on them much so we had to be patient and hope we could either break a tom away or call the hens in.* We were fortunate that the hens decided they needed to investigate and drug the strutters in with them.* We doubled on two toms at 8 AM.
Over the weekend I got the kids out some with their limited 399 tags.* Saturday was cold and windy and a bust for my youngest son.* Sunday evening turned into a great hunt with my wife and daughter.* We found some birds a little after 6 PM that were a long way off across a property line that was off limits.* We backed off the property line 35 yards or so and set up.* Just as we sat down, my daughter said "He just gobbled.* He's a lot closer."* I didn't hear it because I was scraping pine cones out from under the tree before sitting down, so I thought she was mistaken, but a series of yelps brought a gobble from 75 yards. I could see the tom running toward us almost immediately.* He must have been a lone gobbler that hadn't gobble or he'd ran from the other birds that we could still hear.* The tom stopped behind a thick spot at no more than 45 yards and I could hear him drumming.* A few more yelps and few more gobbles and he eased around the cover and stepped across the property line.* A few more slow steps and he was at 30 yards and I whispered "shoot him".* He was a great tom for Olivia's first.* He weighed 19.3 lbs, had a 9 1/4" beard, and his spurs were 13/16 and 11/16".
I've got one more tag in possession for now (I’ll also buy the two western district tags if I get the chance), my wife and son still have limited local tags, my oldest son will have a couple tags, and my dad is coming out as a nonresident hoping for his first Merriam's.* Lots of hunting and fun to go, but probably not enough time to fill all the tags.
MAK

Re: MT Season as of 4/18

Post by MAK »

Man i love those white tails - congrat's too all of you!!!!
MAK
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Those Merriams sure have a nice color combination
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Congrats!!
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

Those are beautiful birds!
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

Awesome!!! The wife, and I have got to get out there!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
xarcher

Post by xarcher »

MAK wrote:Man i love those white tails - congrat's too all of you!!!!
X2
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats on some great birds and memories
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats to all. Nice pics, as usual, Hobbes!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

Congratulations to all of you Hobbes. Way to get everyone on birds. Those Merriams and your pics are great. Maybe someday I'll get out to NW Montana before May and kill one...I seem to always get cought up in the spring bear hunt out there.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

If you are spring near hunting in NW MT, you can't be far from turkeys.
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

I hunt (bear) just outside of Kalispell and Marion. Usually towards the end of May when the snow starts melting up on the old log roads. Definitely need to consider getting out there earlier to tag a merriam as those are the prettiest in my eyes. When I do find the time Hobbes, I'm definitely going to pick your brain a bit. Congratulations again and good luck.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Y'all don't give 'em no rest! Congrats.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

What an excellent season in progress for your family and you!! Congrats to all and may everyone tag out and not use all your bullets!! :o :lol: :thumbup: :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Nice! Y'all keep stackin'em up!
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

JTown21 wrote:I hunt (bear) just outside of Kalispell and Marion. Usually towards the end of May when the snow starts melting up on the old log roads. Definitely need to consider getting out there earlier to tag a merriam as those are the prettiest in my eyes. When I do find the time Hobbes, I'm definitely going to pick your brain a bit. Congratulations again and good luck.
Jtown-U may have to look elsewhere for a Merriam's. That area is all Easterns. The Pure Merriams are primarily in eastern MT. To the North and West theres eastern/Merriam hybrids.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I think you'll find Merriam's in the Thompson Falls area and the Bitteroot. I think the Easterns are probably relatively confined to the Flathead Valley. However, we've killed a couple toms in the last few years near Helena that seem to be stretching the color range for a Merriam's. I've killed enough white tips that I'm happy if he's got a full fan.:)
phutch30

Post by phutch30 »

hobbes wrote:I think you'll find Merriam's in the Thompson Falls area and the Bitteroot. I think the Easterns are probably relatively confined to the Flathead Valley. However, we've killed a couple toms in the last few years near Helena that seem to be stretching the color range for a Merriam's. I've killed enough white tips that I'm happy if he's got a full fan.:)
For sure, but most of the birds Ive seen or shot up near Thompson make me think hybrids. U see one white one, then one dark tan one, ect. Too be fair Ive seen some clean looking merriams west of Missoula. Ive never seen anthing but easterns around where hes bear hunting though.

I agree I just like turkey hunting now. I don't care if they are pure or not. I only posted that in case he wanted to chase true merriams.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I hunted chadron and some were white as white and some was darker. I killed white as white but I believe they are true merriam there. I had several to pick from. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Beautiful birds, congrats on some great hunts.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

real nice hunts,,,congrats and thanks for sharing!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”