Haymaker Choke Tube 20ga 870

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ole5beards

Haymaker Choke Tube 20ga 870

Post by ole5beards »

I know I've seen several threads about these choke tubes over the last few years but I never read any of them. I've been living under a rock I guess, because I just now saw these for the first time this week at a local hunting store. I shoot an Indian creek diamond strike in my SBE 2 and I've had great results with it. Recently I bought a 20ga 870, and I'm planning on shooting federal heavyweight 7's from it. The ported slits in the haymaker don't go all the way through, they are purely cosmetic, and from all I've read, fed recommends shooting their heavyweights through non-ported chokes. ive had some good patterns so far with the carlsons .575, I know the haymaker is a little tighter at .560. I know there's a lot more and probably better choke tubes out there for the heavyweight shells but I was curious if any of y'all have shot tried the haymaker through a 20ga 870 with the heavyweight 7's? If so what were the results? Thanks
Pass the biscuits!!
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Haymaker Choke Tube 20ga 870

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I have not shot a haymaker but if memory service me right...IC made them chokes for D&D

Also fwiw I don't believe D&D are still up and running.

Another I will say even tho fed recommends non ported chokes a lot of people had good luck with IC chokes and the feds.

Sent from somewhere deep in West By God
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Yes D-n-D teamed up with Indian Creek on the haymaker chokes. I saw the choke on the shelf and picked it up thinking "Indian creek changed their packaging", and then I saw the D-n-D logo and it confused me because it looked just like the IC.

I've shot the feds through my SBE 2 with the IC in it and had good patterns with it, well good enough for me.
Pass the biscuits!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

The main issue with shooting Feds with Flite Control are wad catching chokes. I also use an IC with Fed 7s but the choke was pre-wad catcher so it works fine. Don't know anything about the Haymaker.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

savduck

Post by savduck »

I found one for 39 bucks new and bought it. Will let you know in a couple days what mine does.

21 inch 870. Fed 7s
savduck

Post by savduck »

Shot the haymaker tonight. 88 degrees. 870 youth. A buddy polished my gun about three weeks ago. Since then patterns are off from historical numbers.

First shot, Haymaker 560, fed 7s old 3v lot ( usually 150 from ssx) clean.........shot a 64 in 10. POI a foot low.

Second shot Haymaker 560, fed 6s. 5v lot. Clean........shot 74 in 10 at 40. POI 1 foot low.

Third shot SSX 550, fed 7s 3v lot ( normally 140/150) clean.........95 in 10 at 40. POI dead on

Fourth shot, haymaker 560, not cleaned after 1 shot. Fed 7s, 3U lot.......150 at 40. POI 1 foot low

I think polishing the gun has affected my patterns. I may waste more shells later. May try a couple more in dirty gun. Normally pattern goes down.
fountain

Post by fountain »

Shoot several bird shot through it and foul it pretty good then swab it or bore snake it and try again. I did this once to my 835s and they didn't put up the numbers they previously did after the deep clean/Polish. A good cleaning is about all mine get now. I may get a good, deep clean, but that's it. It can mess up an already good shooting gun and it may not come back

Return to “Gobbler Talk”