Tom Kelly

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jim Spencer

Tom Kelly

Post by Jim Spencer »

I'm of two minds about doing this, since Colonel Tom Kelly is a strong, private person who doesn't want anybody's sympathy. But he's one of my heroes and role models and a good friend besides, and I know he has a lot of other friends and fans on this site as well, so...

As you may know, Tenth legion author Tom Kelly's wife Helen has been pretty sick lately, and Tom hasn't been the picture of health himself. He somehow had a snafu with air traffic last Thursday on the way to the NWTF convention, spent all day in airports, and got severely dehydrated. At nearly 90, it messed his system up. He was at the convention in his booth all day Friday, but those of us who know him well could tell he wasn't on his best game. Then, early Saturday morning, he was feeling so bad his business parther David Clarke put him on a flight home after lining up somebody to meet him at the destination airport. He went directly from the airport to the ER in Fairhope, Alabama, and as of this morning he's still in the hospital there and is scheduled for an MRI today or tomorrow. Bad news after bad, Helen had a stroke Saturday and was sent to the same ER, and they're both in the hospital. She's not doing very well, according to the Colonel. Their daughter Laura is there with them.

I'm not asking anybody to send cards or emails or anything - in fact, it would probably be better if folks just left the family alone. But I thought Tom's fans and friends would like to know what's going on. When you hit your knees tonight, send up a few words for the Colonel and his family.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Tom Kelly

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx for the update, Jim. Brian Barth & I were just talking about the Col. Saturday & how he enjoyed talking with other hunters. He signed a couple of books for me a few years ago at the conference & we spent a little time talking turkey.

Prayers for a quick, complete recovery for the Col. & his wife.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

202P&Y

Post by 202P&Y »

Prayers sent
Proverbs 3:5-6
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Man I hate to hear that about him and his wife, that's just terrible. I will definitely keep them and their famiky in my prayers tonight, and thanks for the update Jim.

I've lived in Alabama my whole life. When I started turkey hunting in the early 90's there were 2 names that I always heard my grandad as well as other old timers always talk about when it came to turkey hunting, they were Ben Rogers Lee and Tom Kelly. About 10 years ago I have a good friend who was a host/guide for the Alabama Governors One Shot Hunt, and he called me the day he found out who his hunters were going to be. He named a few names that I didn't recognize and then said "And some other old guy, who has written a bunch of books on turkey hunting....Tom.....Tom....." and I said Kelly?! and he replied "Yeah that's him! How did you know that?"!! We spoke briefly and my buddy Jacob was actually guiding Tom. I told him a few things, and then I told Jacob to NOT guide him, just simply take him out to their spot keep his mouth shut, leave his calls at the cabin, fall in, listen and learn!! A few hours later I got a call from Jacob and he asked me to come out to the cabin that night, they were going to sit around the camp fire, have a few toddys and tell stories, without hesitation I gladly accepted his invite, I met Tom Kelly, listened to several stories, he was everything I had heard about, an all around great man, and I was tickled silly to have met him. Later that same spring Jacob hosted another turkey hunter that I had always admired and respected and that was Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland. And I had the pleasure of sitting around the same camp fire and listening to tales from Cuz, several of which included Tom Kelly. Cuz was another all around great man, and I was glad I got to meet him as well. The time I met cuz, I was better prepared than when I got to meet Tom Kelly. This time I took a camera, a few old Lynch's box calls and several old mossy oak hats for him to sign. He signed 2 box calls for me, one was for me and the other was for my daughter(my son wasn't born yet, so I'll give him mine). And I had 2 hats, one was an original green leaf hat and the other was a shadow leaf hat. He was happy to see both of those old patterns, and I was shocked when he said "I haven't seen those patterns in years". After he signed both for me, he went out to his truck and came back with 2 brand new hats that he'd signed as well, and those both had Turkey Thug on them. He also had a brand new EUV(golf cart) on his trailer that he'd brought that was completely camo in obsession and on the front, he had a Turkey Thug license plate. It wasn't until a few springs later that all of the turkey thug stuff stared coming available in stores. Anyway that was an awesome spring turkey season for me, I got to meet the 2 most influential people to me in this crazy obsession, Tom Kelly and Cuz!
Pass the biscuits!!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

oh man,,,prayers for both of them,,,,,,,,
Earl

Post by Earl »

Stopped by and spoke to him on Friday and again stopped by the booth Saturday to learn of the situation. Been a fan of his since I first read his writings back in the 70's. Had the pleasure of speaking with him many times, will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers....
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

The" Tenth Legion " and a whole lot more have Helen and you in their prayer's along with the rest of your family also.
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

Prayers lifted up for both Mr. Tom and Mrs. Helen!! :angel4:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Prayers sent. Hope for a speedy recovery Tom and Helen.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
crenshawco

Post by crenshawco »

Wow, I sure hate to hear that. Prayers sent
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Prayers for both Tom & Helen from SC, from my wife & I !!
I had a sad report earlier from my partner for our Mexico trip, that Tom had to be flown back from the convention .. but sure didn't want, or expect to hear this sadder news!!! :shock:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

Met Tom a few years ago and traded some turkey stories, when I said I was from Michigan he said "there's turkey's up there?" we both laughed. A true gentlemen. Get well soon both Tom and Helen!
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I had the pleasure of meeting the Colonel 40 years ago. I was with a man who was wearing a spur studded hat band. The Colonel really gave my buddy the needle pretty good for wearing that hat. Another buddy and I laughed our butts off. Never saw that hat again. ;) I will be thinking of him and his wife and hoping for the best. Gil
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I spoke to Mr. Tom on the phone 4 or 5 years ago. I introduced myself and told him that I was a huge fan of him and his books. We proceeded to talk for an hour or so. He didn't know me from the wind, but it mattered not! He is a Gentleman and a scholar..
This is a video from one of his Mossy Oak appearances. It is the best 8 minutes that you'll have spent today. Take your time and watch it.
Goodspeed, Mr. Tom and Ms. Helen...

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

All we can do is pray they will be made comfortable, damm life we all live always seems to end badly...even good guys have bad days !
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Hognutz wrote:I spoke to Mr. Tom on the phone 4 or 5 years ago. I introduced myself and told him that I was a huge fan of him and his books. We proceeded to talk for an hour or so. He didn't know me from the wind, but it mattered not! He is a Gentleman and a scholar..
This is a video from one of his Mossy Oak appearances. It is the best 8 minutes that you'll have spent today. Take your time and watch it.
Goodspeed, Mr. Tom and Ms. Helen...

Enjoyed the video hog. Thanks for posting. It truly is the best 8 minutes. I wanted to see him in Nashville Saturday but I never saw him or His booth. Must have over looked it. There was a lot of people there so we left around 1:00. Thanks again for the posting.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

As noted above, the Col. is a true gentleman and scholar. I have been reading his cannon of work for more than 25 years, a ritual for me each spring.

We are thinking of him, his wife and family.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Sad news. I stopped by the booth on Saturday and heard it there. He's certainly influenced a lot of us over the many years, and I'm one of them. I have a few of my own TK stories as well, but think I will keep them to myself for now.
Bustinbeards

Post by Bustinbeards »

Prayers sent for a quick recovery Mr. Tom and Ms. Helen.
KYFrid

Post by KYFrid »

Prayers sent for him and his wife. I walked by his booth hoping to meet him Saturday and now know why he wasn't there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C.kimzey95

Post by C.kimzey95 »

Can't say I know much about Tom Kelly but that video was truly awesome. I'm gonna have to get some of his work in my hands asap. Prayers sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MAK

Post by MAK »

prayers to the family - strength to Miss Laura - tough when they're both down.
MAK
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Thoughts & Prayers for Mr & Mrs Kelly . Thanks Mike for posting that video . It was great ! :struttin:
LeadSlinger

Post by LeadSlinger »

I'm sorry to hear of this. I'll keep Mr. and Mrs. Kelly in my prayers and wish them both the the best.
Bob
MAK

Post by MAK »

any update on Tom or the Mrs.?
MAK

Return to “Gobbler Talk”