Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine for 2017 and 2018

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jim Spencer

Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine for 2017 and 2018

Post by Jim Spencer »

Some of you already know that the old Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine, which pretty much folded its tent a couple years ago, is putting out two issues this spring. One ought to be hitting the newsstands any day now. I've got a feature article in both of the 2017 issues, and they also wanted a Bad Birds piece for each one as well.

This morning I got word from one of the editors that the suits in the corporate office have committed to doing at least three issues in 2018. So I guess somebody finally came to their senses in the corporate office. When the mag folded, it was still showing a six-figure annual profit, so it never made a lick of sense to me to kill it off. Granted, that's not in the same league with Playboy or Gentleman's Quarterly, but why kill off a cow that's giving more milk than it's costing you in hay? Dumb dumb dumb, but maybe they'll keep it going for a while if enough people buy copies.

Hint hint.
Uncle Nicky

Re: Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine for 2017 and 2018

Post by Uncle Nicky »

Just curious, can you get a subscription for the couple editions coming out this year, or do you have to buy them at the newsstand or supermarket?
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Uncle Nicky wrote:Just curious, can you get a subscription for the couple editions coming out this year, or do you have to buy them at the newsstand or supermarket?

x2 .. who wants to hunt for it when it actually hit's the stands!!

Besides, it's going to be an uphill battle on bringing it back, the way their wisdom just cut production of T & TH and converted subscriptions to the Deer & Der Hunting Mag :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
fountain

Post by fountain »

How could we get those few subscriptions??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Finding a copy in Montana can be a challenge, but I'll be watching for it.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

I don't know if there will be a subscription option next year or not, but I'm thinking not because it's only going to be three issues. I think that's a bad mistake, but they didn't ask my opinion when they made the bad mistake of killing it off the first time, either.

You're right, soiltester, it's not going to be as easy bringing it back as it would have been keeping it going in the first place. I was as mad about it as everybody else, but I do hope you folks won't let that residual anger keep you from buying a copy. Three issues is better than none, imo. Maybe if it makes a little money they'll go back to something like it used to be.

Or, frankly, maybe they won't. The suits in Cincinnati or Cleveland or wherever the damn corporate office is aren't hunters, obviously, or they wouldn't have pulled the plug in the first place.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

I'll try to remember to make a post on here when the two 2017 issues are printed, and do the same in 2018 if I'm still on the right side of the sweet grass.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Jim Spencer wrote:I'll try to remember to make a post on here when the two 2017 issues are printed, and do the same in 2018 if I'm still on the right side of the sweet grass.
Thanks a bunch Jim as that will help remind me to look!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Love that magazine! My wife laughs because everytime we go to Wally World this time of year, I go by the magazine rack to see if it has come out yet.
I used to have a subscription to it.
strutnva

Post by strutnva »

I would fill out the subscription card tonight if I had it. I got that thing for years and hated to see it go. Thanks for letting us know..Please pass along an info on subscriptions if you hear about it.
Spurtaker

Post by Spurtaker »

I called the magazine company a little while ago and they said they are not offering a subscription at this time and couldn't say when they would nor any idea of when the first magazine would be published. I just thought I'd call them to show interest anyway. The # is 888-457-2873
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Spurtaker wrote:I called the magazine company a little while ago and they said they are not offering a subscription at this time and couldn't say when they would nor any idea of when the first magazine would be published. I just thought I'd call them to show interest anyway. The # is 888-457-2873
I don't think they accept my calls anymore :LMAO: :protest: :protest: :protest:
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

Jim Spencer wrote:Some of you already know that the old Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine, which pretty much folded its tent a couple years ago, is putting out two issues this spring. One ought to be hitting the newsstands any day now. I've got a feature article in both of the 2017 issues, and they also wanted a Bad Birds piece for each one as well.

This morning I got word from one of the editors that the suits in the corporate office have committed to doing at least three issues in 2018. So I guess somebody finally came to their senses in the corporate office. When the mag folded, it was still showing a six-figure annual profit, so it never made a lick of sense to me to kill it off. Granted, that's not in the same league with Playboy or Gentleman's Quarterly, but why kill off a cow that's giving more milk than it's costing you in hay? Dumb dumb dumb, but maybe they'll keep it going for a while if enough people buy copies.

Hint hint.
That's good to hear Jim. I look forward to seeing it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Jim,
I still lurk at the ole' "T & TH" website and wonder if anyone in headquarters, still would even would look at the magazine feedback section, as it didn't help back when it was active??
fountain

Post by fountain »

Just picked up a copy at the BPS in Nashville
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Got my copy today!

Looking forward to cracking it open here shortly!!
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

I was upset when it was discontinued. The best magazine for turkey hunters ever.

I am looking forward to reading the upcoming issues and will be looking for it at my local newstands.

Thanks for the heads up!
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Thats what I wanted to hear!! I miss Turkey And Turkey Hunting Mag. I have both the 1st copy and the last. I need to get to walmart and look.
TheLionsFan

Post by TheLionsFan »

Great to hear! I'm gonna have to buy the issue when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/artic ... g-magazine

Here's what I found online posted in Jan. .. interesting for sure!! :scratch:
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Just picked up a copy at Kroger.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Nice meeting you at the convention Jim. If the mag ever wants a link on here that leads to ordering let me know. We will do it.
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

Thanks, Gobbler, I'll do that. It was nice meeting you, too, and several other good folks on here as well. Good convention, but one day of that yelp-yelp-yelp-quack-quack-quack-honk-honk-honk-hoot-hoot-hoot-yelp-honk-hoot-quack-hoot-yelp-quack-grunt-yelp stuff is about all this grumpy old fart can take. Jill and I stuck it out all day Friday and Saturday until about noon and were home before bedtime Saturday night. Bought a few new toys, some of which I needed and some of which I just wanted (there's a difference) ate good food, got the pump primed for the upcoming season. Not that my pump needed priming, but the convention always provides a little extra voltage.

Good news about the first 2017 T&TH being out. I'm going to the big town tomorrow (Mountain Home, Arkansas) and will look for it.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Just picked up a copy today for a little reading pleasure. I was surprised that it was super thin. I really didn't look through it, just grabbed and left.....well, I paid for it. Anyway, maybe it's all good reading and not as much "fluff"?
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I've not seen it here in MT, but maybe I'll spot it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Return to “Gobbler Talk”