Shock Gobble THUNDER CALLER--Is It Possible??

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

Shock Gobble THUNDER CALLER--Is It Possible??

Post by quavers16 »

I just posted this on Old Gobbler.com where I am Quavers also. This topic may seem off the wall--but years ago in a warehouse where I worked- the owners son shook a 21/2 foot long sheet of alunimum. It sounded like thunder to me and I walked over and had him shake it again. Now, I admit that I had a fleeting thought of how I could market this as a shock gobble caller. The thought was fleeting however. I am sure that all here knows that thunder makes ALL the toms shock gobble and not just a few toms. Could a caller like this be made by a Call Company. I have my doubts. Thoughts here.....
hobbes

Re: Shock Gobble THUNDER CALLER--Is It Possible??

Post by hobbes »

My 2 cents...........I've never seen anything, even thunder, make ALL the toms gobble. I also find it difficult to believe that anything that could be carried in a pocket or on a lanyard could effectively make the sound of thunder. While thunder may be a natural sound, I don't intend to try to replicate the sound, but instead will leave that to The Almighty and be happy when I'm there to witness a tom gobbling at thunder.
Gooserbat

Post by Gooserbat »

I knew of an old veteran turkey hunter in Missouri who carried a big piece of aluminum in his rig to do the same thing. He said it worked wonders.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I've heard a version of this as well. Thing of it is, if it really worked, it wouldn't so well after the item became popular. I have a couple things I came up with that work for me and could be marketed. Ain't nobody that don't know me real well ever gonna find out!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've heard birds answer 155 mm cannon fire and the main gun of an Abrams.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Please tell everyone on Old Gobbler to kiss my A$$. Thanks Man. :thumbup:

And to keep up the good work.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Gobbler wrote:Please tell everyone on Old Gobbler to kiss my A$$. Thanks Man. :thumbup:

And to keep up the good work.
X2 :toothy7: :LMAO: :LMAO:
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Good replys here!! Thanks for sharing. I like the post about the old veteran turkey hunter carry a sheet of aluminum into the woods with him. I like Howl's post too. For myself- I can do a perfect pheasant rooster cackle- but don't use it much as it could sound like gobbling to some . I might use an air horn this Spring at least once---never used one before.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

speaking of ass. if you want a top notch locator call. just buy you an ass. the turkeys round here love hammering to the sound of an ass.
El Sicario
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

quavers16 wrote:Good replys here!! Thanks for sharing. I like the post about the old veteran turkey hunter carry a sheet of aluminum into the woods with him. I like Howl's post too. For myself- I can do a perfect pheasant rooster cackle- but don't use it much as it could sound like gobbling to some . I might use an air horn this Spring at least once---never used one before.

Air Horn Works ! :thumbup:
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

While working on a construction job one spring on a property that I had gotten permission to hunt, I rolled onto the job site late morning as they expected during turkey season. When I stepped out of my truck, a buddy of mine slammed a full sheet of plywood down on the roof and a gobble rang out of the valley to my left. My buddy smiled and said "see ya after while D"
The homeowners let me put the bird in a fridge in their garage. I'm still not keen on packing a sheet of plywood around.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I saw Ted Nugent shake a piece of sheet metal 15 or 20 years ago on one of his shows to get gobbles. The only time I ever saw him turkey hunt. After that I carried a piece of roofing tin in my truck for several seasons. I mostly just used it preseason but did get a few gobblers started with it on slow mornings while hunting. It works part of the time. Too big to carry though.

I have used goose calls and for many years I carried a cedar train whistle. It was quite effective. Now I rarely use a locator except an owl at daylight. I pretty much wait for them to gobble on their own or answer my turkey calls.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I had a couple birds gobble at a sonic boom caused by the space shuttle re-entering earth's atmosphere once.....I'm thinking of marketing a shock call to duplicate that. Maybe if I can put a weight on a short rope and get it swinging around in a circle real fast I can make it break the sound barrier!?!? :rabbit:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

hookspur wrote:I had a couple birds gobble at a sonic boom caused by the space shuttle re-entering earth's atmosphere once.....I'm thinking of marketing a shock call to duplicate that. Maybe if I can put a weight on a short rope and get it swinging around in a circle real fast I can make it break the sound barrier!?!? :rabbit:
Yep, been wanting to try my Crocodile Dundee phone call out, but I'm afraid I'll get it all hung up in all the limbs in the timber. :shock:
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

GLS wrote:I've heard birds answer 155 mm cannon fire and the main gun of an Abrams.

had three gobblers blowing the woods down in response to artillery simulators here at Bragg,,,,,,funny as heck,,,,,,,

Return to “Gobbler Talk”