Bird on the Wing, Bird on the Wing

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Bird on the Wing, Bird on the Wing

Post by HunterGKS »

I’ve been feeling kind of puny since last Friday, thought it was bronchitis but turned into a summer cold, so I haven’t been going outside much. On Monday, I went to get the mail & saw this bird standing in the drive lane across the road & on the east side of the creek. I thought it was a great Blue Heron but couldn’t really tell. There is always a pair of GBHs along the creek so I was pretty sure that was what this was.

These birds are extremely skittish so I was surprised that it was still there after I went back into the house, got the camera, & came back out on the front porch. I took a couple of shots & moved down a couple of steps which spooked it & ot took off over the bean field.

George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

poorcountrypreacher

Re: Bird on the Wing, Bird on the Wing

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Nice pics! It is a GBH, isn't it? I have one that stays on my pond in AL a lot. He is so skittish that I can walk anywhere near it and he is up and screaming as he flies over to the neighbor's pond.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

poorcountrypreacher wrote:Nice pics! It is a GBH, isn't it? I have one that stays on my pond in AL a lot. He is so skittish that I can walk anywhere near it and he is up and screaming as he flies over to the neighbor's pond.
Thx. yep, GBH. The creek is about 10" below the top of the bank. I can't tell you how many times I have been walking along the top & had 1 take off from the creek. Will definitely cause the heart rate to increase.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Great pics!! I see these birds alot. They stand stock still and use that long beak to spear fish. I see them in low creeks alot.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”