Purple Heart!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Purple Heart!

Post by guesswho »

I'm pretty good at misplacing things during the spring. Somewhere along the way my Purple Heart striker has vanished. It may have just vaporized after years and years of use. Anyway I'm in need of another one now. The one I had was a 5/16" with a round end. Is there an advantage of a flared end vs round end or visa-versa? Who makes a good one? I only have about nine months to get this worked out!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Purple Heart!

Post by redarrow »

My favorite is a MAD round tip with the plastic bell. Custom strikers you might try Joe Slaton.

motherlodeturkeycalls.com
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
gut_pile

Purple Heart!

Post by gut_pile »

Harold Fowler.
Tenth Legion: Class of 2004
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

X2 Ditto I have a lot of custom strikers and keep coming back to my mad purpleheart with a plastic end also.
If you watch at Walmart they sell them with other calls cheap.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Hey Ronnie

Call Russell Beard @ Beardhunter Game calls. He makes a waterproof striker that will run awesome on any pot call wet or dry ! :thumbup:

Best 10.00 you will ever spend ! :thumbup:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I call more consistently with a flared end as angle seems less critical. Tim Sanford aka rut n strut sells an acorn tip style that he will put a belly in the shaft. You get a thicker portion to hold and narrower either side for more vibration. You can do more with finger placement on those than the usual.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

vaturkey wrote:Hey Ronnie

Call Russell Beard @ Beardhunter Game calls. He makes a waterproof striker that will run awesome on any pot call wet or dry ! :thumbup:

Thanks! I didn't even think about him. I just ordered a Purple Heart and a waterproof striker. :thumbleft: Now I only have to wait 9 months to field test them. :banghead: :D
Double Naught Spy!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

X2 on this! And you'll never deal with a nicer gentleman
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: Thanks! I didn't even think about him. I just ordered a Purple Heart and a waterproof striker. :thumbleft: Now I only have to wait 9 months to field test them. :banghead: :D
I have used a straight purple heart for at least 20 years. For whatever reason, I can't make a flared tip striker sound as good. Check out the call makers list next time you need something. Lots of good woodworkers there.

BTW, When you get the strikers, go ahead & try them out. I'd bet you can call in Billie. Based on the pics he posts, he's the biggest turkey around!!!! :stir: :stir:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Post by MAK »

I've lost 3 Purple Heart strikers in 3 years; took that as a sign I shouldn't buy a 4th........ but I'm slow learner.

I'm great at losing gloves - usually the left one; for fall hunting I went to the light wool military glove liners that fit on either hand, now it doesn't matter.

Last Spring I lost 3 face masks.
MAK
firedup

Post by firedup »

Glad ya got something ordered. It DOES take a while to field test things sometimes. I got stuff I have been trying to figure out for YEARS!! :shock: Lots of good strikers out there. Another purple heart that is solid is Lonnie Sneed's striker. Purple heart with oak top. As far as I know its the only one he makes now. Simple and very affordable. I have gotten several from him with calls and they all run on everything. He is not on the net so if ya need his contact info let me know. West Agusta makes a solid striker. Not sure about purple heart tho. His black locust and dymond wood are real strong. As far as a tip goes, I am a flare tip guy. I have and use both types. If it runs easy and sounds good I use it. But it seems most of the best strikers I find seem to be flare tippers. Till I lose them and have to start over......
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Good call! I got two strikers from him today. A Purple Heart and the waterproof you mentioned. After running both on a couple different pots they both made the cut and will be with me next year, if I don't lose them before then. And the waterproof striker plays both pots after they were submerged in water. And getting submerged in water is a real possibility for me :lol: Thanks for the advice :thumbup:
Double Naught Spy!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Any wooden striker can be made into a water proof one by drilling a tiny hole into the end on the axis of the shaft and putting a bead of JB Weld on the tip. The hole helps anchor the bead although probably isn't necessary. The bead should be slightly convex. Gil
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

My left leg had a bad experience with a drill when I was a teenager. But I might still take an old striker and try that trick.
Double Naught Spy!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

GLS wrote:Any wooden striker can be made into a water proof one by drilling a tiny hole into the end on the axis of the shaft and putting a bead of JB Weld on the tip. The hole helps anchor the bead although probably isn't necessary. The bead should be slightly convex. Gil
I have a Hooks striker with a JB tip. It's my 2nd go-to striker after the purple unless it's raining. Not sure if they still make them.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Pretty sure both redarrow and grumpy earned their purple hearts in the war of 1812
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Pretty sure both redarrow and grumpy earned their purple hearts in the war of 1812
Looks like the Mcbain Munchkin is feeling froggy. :lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”