Decoys..............

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
MAK

Decoys..............

Post by MAK »

I bought those blow up decoys in 2003 - took them to Nebraska chasing Merriams. Thought the decoys might help with that wide open North plains area.

Was set up along a cottonwood bottom, big open fields leading up to a handful of woodsy draws (Fort Robinson Park) - set my dekes - 2 hens and a Jake out on my side of a creek.

I thought a Gobbler might come up along creek on the cotton wood side; had the perfect hide in a fallen tree, sat on the trunk near the root ball.

I was cranking out some yelps trying to be heard over the dang 30 MPH wind. Rotating between a box and a glass friction.

At the base of one of those woodys draws, I spy a small black shape - it's 500 yards if it's an inch. Get the binoc's out, and dang it's a turkey - i think (?) - it starts working my way, and thru the binoc, i can see it blow up, and once it got inside 200 yards i could see his head shake but couldn't hear him gobble - wind was blowing straight away.

He keeps coming - every now and then I'd call and he'd gobble - just outside my max distance to shoot; he stops, periscope goes up, slicks down and makes a left hand turn headed south.

I DID NOT MOVE - i was not seen, what went wrong?!?!?!? - looked over at my decoys and one of them had come loose from it's stake and was bouncing in the wind like a big balloon - dang near shot those decoys right there. :toothy7:

When I got home gave them suckers away to one of my best buddies.............. :LMAO:

Next set up I called in a pack of mules........ decided I better go someplace else. :turkeywave:
MAK
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Decoys..............

Post by Grumpy »

Sound like you shouldn't be using mule decoys either.......... :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

You don't need decoys in Nebraska. The Jakes and the Hens and the Gobblers are all friends.
They will come to calling just to visit. :mrgreen:
MAK

Post by MAK »

They sure are pretty
MAK
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

MAK wrote:Image