If you go to Missouri, better have a plugged gun

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

Weird, you don't have to have it cased and it can be fully loaded in the truck according to the Officer that got me. I thought plugs were only required for migratory birds, but they 'SHOWED" me a ticket in the Show Me State.
snapper1982

Re: If you go to Missouri, better have a plugged gun

Post by snapper1982 »

So you didnt read the laws before you went? They are not the only state that requires a plug so next time maybe you should read the states laws before you go there to hunt.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Ouch.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Pretty sure KY. is the same way. How much did they sock you?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

PA is the same. Max capacity 3.
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

snapper1982 wrote:So you didnt read the laws before you went? They are not the only state that requires a plug so next time maybe you should read the states laws before you go there to hunt.
actually, I did get on their website and look around before I went but must have overlooked this rule. In my home state it has never been a rule on anything but migratory birds so I was blindsided. Funny thing was he wanted 4 shells and I only carry 3 so I had to dig around in the truck for a while to find him an extra shell.(was riding down the road and not in the act of hunting) Website says fine is $160. I just posted this so it might not happen to anybody else.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

In your truck not hunting I think that ticket will be pretty tough to make it stick. Boy am I glad I live here, "The Last Best Place"
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Cheap shot from that Warden :angryfire:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

low blow. nuf said
El Sicario
gobblegobblegobble

Gar Commander wrote:
snapper1982 wrote:So you didnt read the laws before you went? They are not the only state that requires a plug so next time maybe you should read the states laws before you go there to hunt.
actually, I did get on their website and look around before I went but must have overlooked this rule. In my home state it has never been a rule on anything but migratory birds so I was blindsided. Funny thing was he wanted 4 shells and I only carry 3 so I had to dig around in the truck for a while to find him an extra shell.(was riding down the road and not in the act of hunting) Website says fine is $160. I just posted this so it might not happen to anybody else.

That was awful nice of you to dig around and find that for him. :violent1:

If I didn't have an extra shell in my hunting gear and one wasn't readily available, I'd say "sorry, only have 3." Let him come up with another shell.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Another insane rule. One bird per day, 2or4 in mag, what does it MATTER?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I had a turd with teeth game warden try to give me a ticket once for not wearing hunters orange while driving to a deer hunting place, that didn't go very well for him nor did the idea of him wanting to see my deer hunting license the same time. These buttheads think they are God until questioned. I told him the best place for him was in his truck going the opposite way of me and I told him I wasn't going to be so nice next time his dumb ass pulled me over for a question and answer game. Never had a problem with that walking turd again and he was a 20 plus yr. on the job people harasser, I mean game warden.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I just don't take the plugs out of my shotguns. I never carry more than three anyway and if it's always there, I can't make that mistake duck hunting.
Seems like kind of a CS way to get a ticket for it tho, driving in your truck.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Dang, that's messed up. Lesson learned I guess. It just doesn't seem like you could be ticketed while you weren't actually hunting. Game wardens make me nervous, even though I stay legal. If they feel like it, it seems they can always find something to harass you about. I had one give me a hard time about an orange hat years back, because it had a Red Man patch/logo on the front. Said I was a couple square inches short of the legal amount of orange. No ticket though. And don't ever let one get in your boat! They'll pull the ol....u don't have a life jacket for me, trick. That's a good one.
I do the same Tail Feathers.....no point in a plug ever leaving any of my guns.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Game wardens are just doing their jobs, and like the rest of us, some are better at it than others from the standpoint of dealing with people. An area I hunt is patrolled by Federal Wardens. The older ones are generally the most respectful and don't have to prove anything to anybody. I was talking to a young hunter who not only had a shotgun in the front of his truck, a taboo at this land, it was also unplugged and loaded. A tad on the dumbside to complete this trifecta as all three "no-no's" are spelled out in the regs. He could've been written up for three violations, totalling over $500, but got popped for having a loaded gun in the truck which was $75. The game warden's parting words: "just be grateful I'm not one of the young wardens." ;) Gil
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

gobblegobblegobble wrote:
Gar Commander wrote:

That was awful nice of you to dig around and find that for him. :violent1:

If I didn't have an extra shell in my hunting gear and one wasn't readily available, I'd say "sorry, only have 3." Let him come up with another shell.

All you need is 3 shells to check if it'll hold too many or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

You got pulled while riding? Sounds like he targeted your OOS tag. We got funny plug rules in GA too, btw.
gobblegobblegobble

That's why I usually have a regular shirt or UnderArmour hoodie either under my hunting jacket or in my truck to change into after hunting, and to wear on the way to my spot.

Not that I'm doing anything wrong, I just don't care to be pulled over and go through the hassle and waste my time. I figure that a warden is much more likely to pull over a guy wearing full camo (or blaze orange during firearms season) than wearing "civilian" clothes.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

gobblegobblegobble wrote:That's why I usually have a regular shirt or UnderArmour hoodie either under my hunting jacket or in my truck to change into after hunting, and to wear on the way to my spot.

Not that I'm doing anything wrong, I just don't care to be pulled over and go through the hassle and waste my time. I figure that a warden is much more likely to pull over a guy wearing full camo (or blaze orange during firearms season) than wearing "civilian" clothes.
Lol great minds think alike. As grey as some game laws are you always feel your in the wrong while you also think your by the book.

They make ya feel your being interrogated by the FBI
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
gobblegobblegobble wrote:That's why I usually have a regular shirt or UnderArmour hoodie either under my hunting jacket or in my truck to change into after hunting, and to wear on the way to my spot.

Lol great minds think alike. As grey as some game laws are you always feel your in the wrong while you also think your by the book.

They make ya feel your being interrogated by the FBI
agreed. I go to and from with no shirt at all. I look like just another redneck using 270 air conditioning. also, I don't have a single hunting related sticker on anything.
El Sicario
mrmurph

Post by mrmurph »

I live and hunt in Missouri and have never had an issue with the game wardens in our area. In fact, they have went out of their way to help me solve issues before. With that being said, you never know what you might run into with a warden.

Where abouts were you hunting? I live and hunt in NW Missouri and can tell you that the turkey hunting has been tough this year.
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

Ga law dictates your gun has to be plugged for everything except deer and hogs.
BuckyT

Post by BuckyT »

Well... Think the capacity is no more than 5 in gun for deer... Can't put an extended tube on your gun for deer.
fallhnt

Post by fallhnt »

In IL. the only time you can "un-plug" is snow goose season.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”