Contest??????

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GobbleNut

Contest??????

Post by GobbleNut »

No team hunting contest this year?? WTF?
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Contest??????

Post by HuntnMa »

Didn't think about it . I'll do it but my laptop broke so I won't be on as much as I'd like
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Looking that way Jim. Nothing has been posted as far as I have seen.

Looks like I may have to find a new favorite site since BOTH of my regular ones aren't doing contests anymore... I know some folks don't like contests but there is no denying that they add to the traffic and keep things interesting.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Jamey wrote:Looking that way Jim. Nothing has been posted as far as I have seen.

Looks like I may have to find a new favorite site since BOTH of my regular ones aren't doing contests anymore... I know some folks don't like contests but there is no denying that they add to the traffic and keep things interesting.
Yup all the reason for me to start up "Gobbler Nation's" not only did Doug not recognize both Mexico and Canada have turkeys, but I betcha he would have not allowed entries from them countries in the contest. due to his beliefs.

You know the other site was partially formed do to resistance to a turkey contest. Sure hope this board is not taking that slippery slope.
snapper1982

Post by snapper1982 »

Contests are supposed to be fun
Last edited by snapper1982 on February 28th, 2016, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Pretty tough to compete where 1 turkey is the limit against someone that can shoot 3 or more, kinda stacks the deck don't it.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

To each his own, but, I think contests take a lot away from turkey hunting. I got fed up with that BS several years ago, and haven't weighed a bird or measured a beard since. I have measured a few sets of spurs, but only for my own knowledge.

The cool part about turkey hunting, for the most part, is that the trophy is judged by the hunt. You really don't know what you have until you walk up to him. I've been surprised both ways
britton40

Contest??????

Post by britton40 »

trkykilr wrote:You really don't know what you have until you walk up to him. I've been surprised both ways
I agree. I would have bet the house he was a lonely 2 YO. Gobbled 50 times the afternoon before and 50 more the next morning before he met his maker. Image
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

They kept getting smaller and smaller.

We have a contest forum if someone wants to help me. I will offer it.

But be warned...

I have run some fun contests but always get complaints and criticism and out right made fun of every year by some of our outstanding cherished members like Idontseeanyturkes,
Guessnot and GobbleNOT. Plus many sign up and get banned from OG and forget to ever check back in here. :scratch:

Just let me know :mrgreen:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Remember ... Its a contest for nothing. Its just to get to know others and argue a little bit over nothing.
Hell Guesswho can't even run a camera. You have to take his word that the Jake weighed 16lbs. :dontknow:

:LMAO:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobbler wrote:Remember ... Its a contest for nothing. Its just to get to know others and argue a little bit over nothing.
Hell Guesswho can't even run a camera. You have to take his word that the Jake weighed 16lbs. :dontknow:

And seven beards.

First contest I got in I poked my eye with the camera, cut myself with the tape measurer, and got the scale hook caught in my back.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

guesswho wrote:
Gobbler wrote:Remember ... Its a contest for nothing. Its just to get to know others and argue a little bit over nothing.

And seven beards.

First contest I got in I poked my eye with the camera, cut myself with the tape measurer, and got the scale hook caught in my back.
:lol: :lol:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I for one enjoy the GN contest. You don't win a thing except bragging rights.No ATVs,no art prints,no guns,ETC. What you win is the opportunity to bust your buddies chops. All in the name of fun. DID I SAY FUN! If you have to cheat to have fun you aint hunting,your poaching. Personally I laugh my ass off when Camoturd or CantbeahunterGKS sling chicken doo at me. Cause its all in fun. I say we should have a contest. If you don't want to play with the big mouths,I mean big boys just take your jakes and go play in the sand box. With that said if it makes you feel better I will donate an original un framed drawing of "Turkeys In The Raw "to the winning team.This drawing by non other than our very own "Stumphumper" will look awesome hanging on the wall amongst your many other trophies.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: First contest I got in I poked my eye with the camera, cut myself with the tape measurer, and got the scale hook caught in my back.
And that was before you even left the house!! :violent3:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Somebody mentioned the attempt to have a contest on that other board which had a prize of a custom call valued at about $50. The reaction by the organization is what lead to the Travel Call.

The following is part of a correspondence I had with the individual that ran the board for awhile & was also in charge of the convention. He is no longer part of the org.

"Speaking of the contest, (it didn’t matter to me either way & I probably would not have participated) if the NWTF didn’t want us to have a contest they (you) should have just come out & said “No contest” instead of coming up with lame excuses. In every state that I deer hunt in, many retail & sporting goods stores hold big buck contests with no problem from the state. I would assume that it would be the same for turkeys. Also, saying that it might cause a poor perception makes no sense. If everything that was posted that might cause a poor perception were deleted, there wouldn’t be many posts left. Anyone can have their own perceptions & those who are against hunting will perceive us badly no matter what we post. I’m still offended that you implied that a contest could cause us to do things that are unethical. If someone is going to break the law, they’ll do it contest or no. Also, it’s not like there were thousands or even hundreds of dollars involved, at most a few calls would have been donated & offered as prizes. Not the kind of incentive that would cause anyone to become lawless.

Hmmm. Maybe the "peer pressure" thing is real after all!

If you are implying that I bend to peer pressure, you are way off base. I make my owe decisions based on past experience, personal values, what I know, & what I see/hear. I have never & will never do/say something just because others are doing/saying such & such. It might appear that way as a lot of us feel the same way about a lot of issues & have very similar values but I can assure you that is not the case.'
George

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I like them. But no Multi beards. Just longest beard. :thumbup:
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

It's hilarious to see dedbarrow potificating in regards to things of which he has no 1st hand knowledge with a prime example being killing turkeys. The 1st bird & the last bird he ever carried home came from the grocery store. Oddly enough, it was the same turkey!!
George

guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

HunterGKS wrote:And that was before you even left the house!! :violent3:
I wasn't going to mention that part.
Double Naught Spy!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Who needs a contest? the fight is already starting. :lol: :lol:
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

im confused. what are the fabulous prizes that we win
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Gobbler wrote:I like them. But no Multi beards. Just longest beard. :thumbup:
I think just weight, on a certified scale verified by two notaries.

Simple as can be
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Gobbler wrote:Who needs a contest? the fight is already starting. :lol: :lol:
The fighting is usually between people who aren't even in the contest.
Turkinator wrote:im confused. what are the fabulous prizes that we win
A free hunt with Gobblenut in NM. But you have to pay all his expenses, plus your expenses there and back. And you have to plan the trip around the days they allow him to check out of the Old Folks facility with adult supervision. Then you have to have him back by brunch, aka bed time.
Double Naught Spy!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I am as honest with contests as I am with the IRS. I'm in!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote:
Gobbler wrote:Who needs a contest? the fight is already starting. :lol: :lol:
The fighting is usually between people who aren't even in the contest.
Turkinator wrote:im confused. what are the fabulous prizes that we win
A free hunt with Gobblenut in NM. But you have to pay all his expenses, plus your expenses there and back. And you have to plan the trip around the days they allow him to check out of the Old Folks facility with adult supervision. Then you have to have him back by brunch, aka bed time.
OH SNAP!!!! :argue: :violent1:
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I am as honest with contests as I am with the IRS. I'm in!
I sho nuff hope y'all ain't applied for a conservative non-profit tax reporting status!!!! :stir: :LMAO:
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”