Lookie what I found today.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Lookie what I found today.

Post by Shooter »

I dropped this thing through the ice 2 years ago, in my 75 acre Duck huntin swamp. I had chopped 3" ice for so long, my grip went away, trying to cut out enough to drop a few Dekes. It is usually dry during the summer, but couldn't get out there last year for some strange reason. :mrgreen: :banghead:
It is 1 mile through the timber from the truck, plus my marked trail kind of grew up with underbrush and small saplings.
We looked for it weeks ago while cleaning up the trail, but with all the leaves, and not pinpointing it to an exact spot. I only remembered within 30 ft of it. Not to mention 3ft of water frozen, and now all leaves.
Anyways, my uncle from PA gave this dressing kit when I was a teenager for Christmas. Never used the hatchet much, but it was more of the principle. It used to look like chrome, and razor sharp, but took quite a beating in the water for so long. Still pretty dang sharp though! :thumbup:
If I can find someone here close that has a big buffing wheel, we will polish it right back up. Otherwise, I'll have to take it to Chattanooga, to my performance props guy, and let him do it on his prop buffer.
Oh, forgot to mention, found it with Pops old metal detector. Found an old D-cell Batt, and a empty 3.5" hull too.
Even though I never used it much, and felt like an azz for losing it in the first place, Lily and I both celebrated when we found it. :cheers:
Attachments
SANY0007 (5).JPG
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Lookie what I found today.

Post by hookedspur »

:thumbup:
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

glad you found it
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Great job on yer' find!! :thumbup:
Now drill a hole in the bottom of the handle and put a leather shoe lace through it so you can have it wrapped around your wrist, to keep it from slipping out of yer' hand while using it :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Send it to me, I don't duck hunt water just fields at feeding time so it won't get the Ted Kennedy treatment you gave it.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nice when things work out!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Have you got it cleaned up yet?
Mike
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Good job Tommy. I know how it feels to lose a keepsake. Money can't replace it.I was slipping through a swamp in 2 feet of water when a branch caught my back pack and pulled down the zipper. Anything that didn't float was sunk .Including a folding Buck knife in desert storm camo.It was a gift from a friend and really hurts to know it is gone.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

wow! theres hope yet for my wife and her missing car keys!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I hear ya Red, I worried about that dang thing day and nite. Wasn't gonna rest until I gave it a fair search.
Nope, Have not polished it back up yet. Still trying to find a big wheel here fairly close to home.
Too dang lazy to do it by hand. :mrgreen:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”