I hate ticks!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I hate ticks!

Post by redarrow »

Spent last week in northern michigan at my deer camp.Celebrated my b,day taking a concealed pistol class and fighting the damn ticks. Used three cans of spray.Couldnt finf the good stuff. I picked 30 of them suckers off me on Friday.between my wife and i and kamski we must of had over 100 in a week.not a total bummer though,seen a bunch of does with fawns,a hen with 2 poults,and a nice black bear. Oh yeah seen 2or3 really nice gobblers.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
mossy835

Re: I hate ticks!

Post by mossy835 »

Shoot the ticks film the animals hate them too!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have grown to embrace them. Michigan does not know what ticks are. Makes after shower awesome.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Happy birthday red.
I hate them suckers to.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:I have grown to embrace them. Michigan does not know what ticks are. Makes after shower awesome.
I have never seen them this bad.When i hunted KY. I might get 4 or 5. Never anything like this.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
turk835

Post by turk835 »

CAN NOT STAND THE LITTLE SUCKERS!!!

Bill
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Pre-spray your clothes with sawyers. not 100% but it sure helps
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I pulled ticks off of me after every hunt in Mississippi this year. At one point, I would be driving down the road and have ticks crawling across the dash or up and down the door glass from coming off my clothes on prior hunts. They were awful this year!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

gblack15 wrote:Pre-spray your clothes with sawyers. not 100% but it sure helps
Or buy t concentrate at tc and save some cash
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Buy a quart of premethrin at co-op, it's like $6 and will last a lifetime. Mix 2 cap fulls in a 2 liter bottle and fill with water and treat your clothes
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

So Billie.......Are you ticked off???? :salute:
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I spray my clothing, boots included, with Permithrin (Sawyers). It also helps to wear a wide brim hat. Ticks will drop down from limbs onto your head. I had one imbedded tick this season between the shoulder blades when I didn't wear a treated shirt. I was back in the woods this weekend looking for chanterelles and was sure to wear treated clothing. I wear light colored longsleeved shirt and pants in the summer woods. Helps with skeeter and ticks. There's some treated underclothing treated with permithrin at the factory. Supposedly effective for 70 washings and the longsleeved undershirt looks thin enough for summer wear. I originally thought it was expensive overkill, but have had second thoughts after having learned of a friend's wife almost dying from tick bite. Ehrlichiosis was transmitted by a tick bite and she almost suffered organ shutdown while hospitalized in intensive care for almost a week. You can't be too careful about ticks.
turk835

Post by turk835 »

I used Permithrin this spring and knock on wood didn't find one on me. Maybe I was lucky but I do know I spent a lot of time turkey unting in the woods. I believe it works well.

Bill
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

I have also gone the Permethrin route and soak my hunting clothes in it a week or two before season. I have NOT HAD ONE TICK on me in three years since I started this treatment.
Central MS
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Rockhound wrote:Buy a quart of premethrin at co-op, it's like $6 and will last a lifetime. Mix 2 cap fulls in a 2 liter bottle and fill with water and treat your clothes
:thumbup: I don't get ticks, period. In the outdoors, I go with premethrin sprayed clothes, and never get ticks. Too many serious diseases sprouting up with those nasty insects to screw with it.
ImageImageImage
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Jaybird wrote:
Rockhound wrote:Buy a quart of premethrin at co-op, it's like $6 and will last a lifetime. Mix 2 cap fulls in a 2 liter bottle and fill with water and treat your clothes
:thumbup: I don't get ticks, period. In the outdoors, I go with premethrin sprayed clothes, and never get ticks. Too many serious diseases sprouting up with those nasty insects to screw with it.
:thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Jaybird wrote:
Not sure if ya'll have a Co-op in Detriot Red! :lol: But if you do,... get some. Mine was called Permectrin, and is used for a cattle dip.
I got a 10oz bottle, and use an oz and a half to make a quart. I spray my shoes, socks, and pants. Stuff works.
Heck, I'm still shaking dead ticks from my shoes, where I guess they got on my socks. :mrgreen:
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Got one tick on me during the season. However, he was dead when I found him trying to embed itself into my upper arm. I figure it was on my treated clothing before it got to my skin and thats what killed it.

Then, just yesterday after coming home from a 3D shoot, I found a wood tick crawling around my waist line. Took that joker outside and crushed it.

I hate them too.!!!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I cracked up this spring. I treated most my clients clothes, had one guy tell me he didn't need it he lived in tick country. First night his wife pulled eight embedded in him out next night seven. He came to me "do you think you can treat my clothes" :x

We had one guide with thirtysix embedded in him.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I buy on Amazon a six-pack of these every other season to give to buddies who invariably lose them. These will remove an embedded tick safely and quickly from a dog or person. Thin and small enough to keep in a wallet. Pro Tick Remedy
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Last 4th July the south had a cool spell. 62degrees that night. I took my puppy and another dog for a run.
When I returned home I was covered in tiny ticks. +- 350 ticks. Took till after 4am to remove them all.
I use the spray too.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

spray my outercamo with permethrin and rare find ticks anymore, when i do the are crawling. have not had an embedded one since doing this.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Sounds like you walked through a fresh hatch JD. We call em seed ticks around here, but they are really just baby ticks.

Nice little tool you have there Gil, but I don't even want those critters on my skin at all. Takes too dam long to heal, even if I get bit for only a few minutes.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Another thing I did was wear treated top and bottom under armor under my clothes, which made it almost impossible to get to my skin. Would pull my treated socks over the under armor also. Even treat my hat, since I had one go from my hat to my neck once.
ImageImageImage
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Nobody hates the little suckers more than I do! I've contracted both Lyme's disease and erlichiosis from them, but I think each of those were caught early enough that antibiotics fixed me. Of course, you can never be sure in either case...I may yet come down with health issues years after the fact which are directly related to those episodes. I can't do anything about that, but since I started making my own cheap permethrin spray 3 years ago, I have not found a single tick embedded in my flesh while wearing treated camo clothing. I've only picked 3 or 4 crawling on my skin in all that time, but those either came in under my sleeve cuffs, or perhaps rubbed off a passing branch onto my neck. They touch my clothing, they die....simple as that! I have always been revolted when seeing any animal suffer, but I take no shame in saying that I derive great joy in watching any tick attempt to walk up my pantleg and only succeed in going about 3 inches before they start wobbling around like they're drunk, then roll over with their legs curling up. In my mind, it's actually a death that's too slow for such a vile creature, but it does my heart good to know that I've been the direct source of demise for untold thousands of those blood-sucking, disease-spreading, not-a-single-good-reason-for-living monsters!!! The only good tick is a VERY dead one, so maybe we should shoot them all with TSS pixie dust 9's! :D

Return to “Gobbler Talk”