Tough Sledding in Ohio

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Tough Sledding in Ohio

Post by HunterGKS »

After Monday's success, things have gone downhill.

Day 2 - Tues was 39 with a screaming wind that probably put the WC in the high 20s to low 30s. I heard a few tree yelps & an old crusty hen flew down from about 50 yards to my right but never saw her or anything else.

Day 3 - Weds was 39 also with a very high wind & a little rain. Never heard or saw any birds. I had to leave at 9:30 for a VA appt &stuck my head out of the tree line &, sure enough, there was a hen walking towards me from the road.

Day 4 - I got a late start Thurs morning as it was really cold & blowing with rain predicted at 4:30 so back to bed I went. I got up at 6:50 & it was beautiful, sunny, clear, no wind but 38, I eased past the woods/field where I had seen the 3 gobblers last week & saw nothing so I turned around, parked, & was ready to go by 7:20. Again, heard no birds at all. About 9 the wind picked up & it got a little uncomfortable. At 9:20, a smokey hen walked through the dekes & headed towards the woods across the fields from me. That was it. Tomorrow I'm planning to go back to the area where I killed Mon. Looks like it will be cold, 30, with winds of 10mph sp I'll be dressing a little warmer.

Day 5 - Fri Weatherman said it was supposed to be 31 with 9-10 MPH yesterday morning but was wrong on both counts. It was 27 but luckily no wind until just before I left. I didn't hear or see a bird from 05:45 until 11:45. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero. It was 50 when I left but the wind was ripping again & it was a very cold 50.

Day 6 – Sat, The Weatherman said it would be 44 with 5 MPH winds & no rain until the P.M.. Guess what?? He was wrong on all 3 counts. It was 38, windy, & raining when I backed out of the garage. It was back inside to put on the rain suit then a sit in the truck at my parking spot until about 6:45. I was ready to go at 7. The rain had stopped but the wind was pretty fierce. Again, no birds sounding off, & didn't see anything until about 9 when the smokey hen walked through again. She went out into the plowed ground, found a spot, & dusted for about 7 minutes before heading out. I'm sure this was the same hen that I saw Wed. When she came through Wed, she walked up to the hen deke & stood there for a few seconds before jumping sideways & running off about 10". Today, she gave the dekes a wide berth & paid no attention at all to my calling. I'm thinking she's been whopped a few times & may be submissive.

That was it for the morning & I headed out at 11 with the temp up to 48 & still blowing. I was just too dang cold to hold out another hour. Except for Mon morning, my hunts have been very depressing with only a few yelps heard Tues & only 2 different hens seen. I don't know if this weather is messing with them or what. I'll probably try the east section of the woods I killed in Mon. I've always struck birds there.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Tough Sledding in Ohio

Post by OLE RASPY »

Same here. Haven't seen the first gobbler while hunting that's been on land that I have permission on. Own 30 acres of river bottoms and I have been itching to get down there but it's still flooded with all the rain we've had. Hopefully this weekend it will be dried up enough to hunt. I hear ya It sho has been a rough one this year. Good luck and keep atem I am.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
treeguy338

Post by treeguy338 »

The few I have herd gobbling go dead silent as soon as they hit the ground, the one I got this morning only gobbled once and came in silent the rest of the way
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hopefully you'll have some gobblin' weather soon!!~ ;)
I gave up here in SC as the rain messed up what time I had before I stated to put new hardwood flooring in, so huntin' takes a back seat till it's finished .. the floor or season?? :lol:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I hate windy, cold days the worse.Then you throw in rain for the trifecta of doom for Turkey hunting.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Gobbler Talk”