Stuck in MO

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hobbes

Stuck in MO

Post by hobbes »

How ironic. We have been stuck during turkey season in what some would consider a spring turkey mecca and we dont want to be here. Our "new" used vehicle I posted a while back had a rear wheel bearing go out in Columbia MO yesterday after drving for 22 hours from MT on our way to Southern IL. We had pulled over a couple times between Sioux City and KC because of a slight whining noise that I thought was in the front but I couldn't notice anything and had finally decided it was the tires on the change in pavement surfaces. I should have known to stop at a Ford dealer but we are on the road in a hurry so we could hunt Friday morning not to mention swapping off driving through the night.

We pulled over for a bathroom break in Columbia and grinding could be heard. We were blessed to find a Ford dealer 3 miles down the interstate at the next exit. We've had to spend the night to wait for all the parts. I just talked to them and it sounds like they will be done by 2 today. We've only missed one day but it will probably rain tomorrow. The repair is sucking up a lot of my hunting funds so the KS hunt on the way home may be abandoned. We may just stay a few more days and hunt IL if I haven't filled the second tag or do some fishing.

On a good note. We drove through Council Bluffs at 7 am yesterday and there were big fat Eastern toms strutting everywhere. One flock had six big full fans.

I never thought I'd be disappointed to be stuck in MO in late April. It could be worse. This could have happened middle of the night in Nowhere SD.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Stuck in MO

Post by redarrow »

That sucks for sure. Hope you get back on the road soon. good luck.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Dang. Good luck!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Sorry to here about your bad luck....hopefully your back on the road.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

That really sux. Hopefully it didn't pit your axle. Hope they got you back up & running.

I had something similar happen several years ago when I still lived in FL but I was a heckuva lot luckier than you. I had an '85 Ford XLT Lariot Larado & was out running some last minute errands before leaving for WV the next morning for the spring season. I was on the way home & noticed some smoke coming from under the left front wheel well. I limped home & touch the wheel to find it hotter than blazes. Spun wheel bearing. I unloaded everything from the truck into the garage & sorted out what I really needed & could fit in my Saturn SC2. It was at that point that I realized how much unneeded stuff I was hauling back & forth, After I got home, I changed both the inside & outside bearings myself. I'm not sure it would have made it to a repair shop & I was lucky enought to have the know how to fix it myself.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Well, that sucks. You never want to lose hunting time, much less blow a lot of money. Hope it goes well from here.
ImageImageImage
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Got on the road at 330 central. We just unloaded here at home. Complete chaos with kids, their cousins, my parents, and my two dogs trying to get to know the place and the resident dogs. But........there is a tom with hens roosted within a 1/4 mile of the house and more in unknown locations. Maybe we'll turn this thing around in the morning.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I'll bet you'll make' up fer' lost time today ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Tom with four hens beat me like a drum this morning. Hens were roosted where I thought they all were. Tom was across the field and it was too light to move by the time he gobbled. Hens hit the ground and they all marched right past the point of timber that I'd have set up in if I'd have known where he roosted. Good to watch a big Eastern strutter for a while anyway. Couldn't find another bird that wanted to play. Hoping the field bird roosts in the same location tonight.

I probably should go find another bird. These guys are notorious for ignoring me.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”