Florida Turkey Hunting Question

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ncturkey

Florida Turkey Hunting Question

Post by ncturkey »

If you were going to Florida to hunt turkey this coming spring what kind of footwear would you wear? I am going down for the first time this year. I have been told it will be warm so I am rethinking my Lacrosse Alpha Burl Sports. I will be walking alot. I do have two pair of Rocky Snake boots but both pair leak and if it gets hot thet sweat alot. What would you choose for the warm to hot weather in Florida? If ya'll can think of other things that I could need while hunting in the swamps of Flordia I would love to hear them. Thanks :turkeywave:
Last edited by ncturkey on January 31st, 2012, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Cove

Re: Florida Turkey Hunting Question

Post by Cove »

I wear Crocs but I'm not really snake skiddish. Anything else I have to worry about getting wet. So I just start with something that dries fast and super comfortable.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

What kind of boot would you suggest?
Mike
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I went last year and it was so dry I would have had to walk about 5-10 miles to actually get wet in the swamp interior. I bought dahner snake boots but didn't need them. Not sure what it will be like this year or where you are going but I think I could have worn my tennis shoes. Never saw a snake either. But I would for sure bring the thermacell the skeeters were viscious and so were the ticks.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

You are right about thermocall. I got one. Which danner snake boot did you get?
Mike
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I would wear snakeboots and chaps as well as snake proof gloves but thats me.. As for Danner I have the Pronghorns and they are the best boot I have ever worn, super comfy and waterproof.. I had to go a size smaller so keep that in mind
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

wolverine 11 point boots are light weight and are perfect for florida.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks T_S. Maybe I will see ya down there when I am hunting?
Mike
Cove

Post by Cove »

It was really dry last year and I wore my Danner Pronghorns a bit, there was no water to deal with.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

thermacell is very important. As these mosquitos can stand flat footed and do a turkey. As the boots go its all up to the weather and where in florida your gonna hunt. Last year didnt see any snakes year before they were all over. Rain is whats gonna control them the more water the more snakes.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I was in Florida last hunting season, and never saw a snake, and wore a lightweight, non insulated, waterproof boot which worked perfect.
ImageImageImage
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

No matter where I turkey hunt, I prefer a 6" boot. No friggin' speed lacing, good rubber soles, waterproof (although in FL you're gonna get wet, no matter what you wear), and tough. My brand of choice right now is Keen, and I really like their Targhee Mid style. I have 6 pair, so I can rotate them and start with dry boots every day. Then, I just set my mind for knowing I'm gonna have wet feet before I return to camp.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Is this what you have?ImageTarghee II Mid.
Mike
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

I hunt here all year round Muck boots snake boots is all I will wear in these swamps. I have seen some monster moccasins in these swamps while hunting turkeys
Double beard guide service LLC
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I hunted florida last spring and i wore my clothes that i would while im hunting my home state.I got a pair of Itasca camo boots but there not snake boots.I never saw a snake gator or nothing but turkey.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Which Muck boot do you have?
Cont520 wrote:I hunt here all year round Muck boots snake boots is all I will wear in these swamps. I have seen some monster moccasins in these swamps while hunting turkeys
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Thanks I will check them out.
OLE RASPY wrote:I hunted florida last spring and i wore my clothes that i would while im hunting my home state.I got a pair of Itasca camo boots but there not snake boots.I never saw a snake gator or nothing but turkey.
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I am going shoping this weekend. I plan on getting what ever I get soon. I am going to wear them and get them broke in. I will be taking my boot dryer with me. I paln on takeing all my different boots so I can haav a fresh dry pair everyday. Thanks for all the advise. Keep it coming.
Mike
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

where i hunt there are big gators on and beside the trails, cotton mouths, rattlers, kings, ect. I wear snake boots every day out there. I wouldnt leave home without them. I am on the market for another pair. I used Rocky Snake Boots for 3 years. they stay waterproof for 4 days. GARBAGE!
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Yes, but in a bronze/green color. I love 'em!
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Where whatever you want really. Just get a comfortable pair of boots that you will be able to use back home. If snakes are not a problem at home don't waste your money on getting a pair for just hunting here as it is a waste of money as you will not see any here most likely unless you got in search of them
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Its there snakeproof version all camo not sure the actual model. My buddy carries them up at his shop in Plant City. I can promise you after what happened this weekend they are snake proof......
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cont520 wrote:Its there snakeproof version all camo not sure the actual model. My buddy carries them up at his shop in Plant City. I can promise you after what happened this weekend they are snake proof......
what buddy and what shop??
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Turkey Talker wrote:
Cont520 wrote:Its there snakeproof version all camo not sure the actual model. My buddy carries them up at his shop in Plant City. I can promise you after what happened this weekend they are snake proof......
what buddy and what shop??
Baileys Outdoors here in Plant City He carries muck Boots and can get you anysize you want order wise. Just a small Town shop ran by 1 hell of a hunter no matter what your after

Return to “Gobbler Talk”