Meeting Friday in Plant City on more public access.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Meeting Friday in Plant City on more public access.

Post by Gobbler »

I am going to a meeting in Plant City to voice our oppinion on access to water management property around central florida. This land was bought by tax payers and the access has been NONE for the hunting community. We are showing up in numbers to voice our concerns that these lands should be opened up so the hunting community has more places to go.

With the pressure to kill Osceolas in this state these areas should be opened and managed.

Doug

Letter:

We wanted to let you know that the July 29 hunting evaluation meeting location has been changed to the Hillsborough Community College Trinkle Center in Plant City to accommodate a larger than expected crowd.
We have recently received a large amount of communications from interested individuals who are planning to attend the meeting. Due to concerns that our Tampa Service Office is not big enough to accommodate everyone, we are changing the meeting location again to the Trinkle Center in Plant City. The Trinkle Center is located less than 20 miles from our Tampa Service Office and has plenty of space and parking for anyone who wishes to attend.
We apologize for any inconvenience the changes in location have caused you, but we want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to come and participate in the meeting.
The meeting details are as follows:
Date: July 29
Time: 3:30 p.m.
1206 N. Park Road, Plant City
Thank you,
Will Miller
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Meeting Friday in Plant City on more public access.

Post by Turkey Talker »

sux i gotta work or i would be there :(
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I was 10 miles from Plant City last week.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Hey if you get this close again i'm pming my number. I live off I-4 Plant City.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

My parents live in Willow Oak just off 60.
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Good work, Doug! It will be interesting to see how that all plays out,...keep us informed.
Out here in the west, we have have had a many-decades-long war going on between public sportsmen and a whole spectrum of entities that want to lock up public lands. Several of us that are involved with sportsmens issues are scheduled to meet with Bureau of Land management reps this next week to discuss our continuing problem of keeping public lands open to the public.
Here we have literally millions of acres of public land that the public cannot access.
Whether it be a situation like yours in Florida, or one like ours here out west, it is important that sportsmen step up to the plate and get involved in these issues. Often, situations like yours are simple a matter of letting the decision-makers know that a problem exists and that there is a solution to it.
Go get 'em!
Jim
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Well I did attend the meeting and it was a real eye opener!!

First-SWFMD is trying to do the right thing. And they have done their homework. The presentation was well done and out of 330,000 acres they broke down the usage and how they came to the conclusion at this time 5 properties totaling 46000 acres could sustain managed hunting opportunities. Very good presentation.

Note: Out of the 330,000 acres SWFMD manages, they allow hunting on 132,000 acres, 90,000 acres are partnership lands, 4500acres are canal lands, which left 103,000 acres they are considering for hunting. They decided to start with 5 properties which make up 46000 acres.

The meeting was dominated by Equestrian Clubs. I estimated at least 95% of all attendees were Horse back clubs and Plant and Audubon folks. I did a calculation and feel there were close to 300 attendees.

My club the Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association, the United Waterfowlers, Wood and Water Magazine, And other Hunting organizations were present and made excellent arguments basically defending hunting and calling for access to all Floridians including Horesback, Hikers, Kayakers, Bird watchers etc.

I was not shocked that the anti hunters showed up and literally made up untruths about the impact of hunters and their actions. I was completely shocked at the arrogance and selfishness of the Equestrian clubs . I did not realize this going in.

Gentleman we have to be vocal and I have listed a website to give supportive comments for the additional hunting opportunities.
Please be positive and professional. Do not stoop to the level of what I heard at this meeting by the anti's
http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreatio ... mments.php
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Doug

Is there any way you can get your local NWTF Chapters & waterfowl groups to stand tall on these issues. Wish I could help you guys in some way. As a non resident can I voice my opinion to the Florida Reps.?

Ricky Burks (vaturkey)
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

vaturkey wrote:Doug

Is there any way you can get your local NWTF Chapters & waterfowl groups to stand tall on these issues. Wish I could help you guys in some way. As a non resident can I voice my opinion to the Florida Reps.?

Ricky Burks (vaturkey)

LMAO @ NWTF :lol: :lol:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

i posted a comment up there gobblerD
wish i could have made it out.

-Dave
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Turkey Talker

Sorry, Didn't mean to pinch a nerve !
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

vaturkey wrote:Turkey Talker

Sorry, Didn't mean to pinch a nerve !

hahaha no worries :D
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Turkey Talker wrote:
vaturkey wrote: LMAO @ NWTF :lol: :lol:
My favorite organization. National White Trash Federation, been a member my whole life. Not to be confused with the turkey organization N"WTF"

It would be nice to get another 46000 acres open for hunting in Florida. I hope it all comes together.
Double Naught Spy!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

The hunters are the largest group in the US and here in Florida. Are showing numbers were low because people have to work and make a living. All the folks that showed up looked to be retired. I was there cause I played hooky.

We have a lot of land down here that animal populations have exploded because of No Access. I think the government folks are realizing the wild hog can't be controlled with trappers. Game needs to managed by predators and hunters are predators.

The rest of the country needs to be involved if not only for more land to hunt the Osceola. These 5 properties are loaded with Osceolas.

Turkey Talker and I hunted on the fence line of the big Green Swamp piece while we heard the gobblers going off. I'd love to get drawn for that 10000 acres to hunt Osceolas.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Try to stay focused here, fellas.
Doug, once again, I commend you for taking a leadership role in this fight. Regardless of anybody's position on certain aforementioned organizations, it is imperative that each of us does our part to help. As Doug has pointed out, those people and organizations that are fighting against the opening of these areas to hunting are well organized and well-funded. Fortunately for us, their argument, in most instances, is fueled completely by emotion rather than fact.
Doug has again pointed out that we, as hunters, must be sure that our arguments do not stoop to the level of the opposition.

If you are close enough to this area to get personally involved, then you must do so. To stand idly by and hope that someone else takes care of this problem for you is a big mistake folks! Doug is very obviously a great voice for you in this. His points have been right on target. ...But numbers will come into play at some point, and you must step up to the plate.

How can those of us from other parts of the country help? My suggestion is a simple email or letter to the decision makers. Sticking to facts, and using a diplomatic and respectful approach is paramount. I will be sending an email and letter from New Mexico. Here is my intial draft thoughts on what I intend to include. I would suggest others from across the country do the same.

To Whom It May Concern,
I reside in New Mexico. I have recently become aware of ongoing debate and discussion in your area regarding whether the management of certain properties should be modified to include additional recreational opportunities, including hunting. I understand that significant opposition to this change has been expressed. I would hope that you, as one of the final decision makers, would evaluate all sides of the issue based on facts, rather than emotion.

Obviously, I am not directly affected by this specific issue. I do not want to be viewed as a long-distance busy-body that has been asked by someone to be part of a pro/con numbers count. What I am is a concerned citizen who has witnessed too many emotion-driven decisions made to appease a vocal minority without regard to facts, science, or the concerns of other parties involved.

Hunting is a long-held tradition and way of life for those people that choose to participate. The validity of hunting as a wildlife management tool and as a legitimate recreational activity has been consistently upheld across the United States. The decision to allow regulated hunting in a particular location should perhaps be made primarily on safety concerns. Those that oppose hunting often do so by instilling fear into the hearts and minds of those that are uninformed. The fact is that hunting is an extremely safe recreational pursuit. In practically every instance and circumstance, measures can be put in place to accommodate all reasonable safety concerns.

As a hunter who travels around the country on occasion to pursue unique opportunities, I would like to interject a few points to be made that are specifically relevant to your situation. One of the species that exists in the areas being discussed in the Osceola subspecies of wild turkey. This subspecies is highly coveted by sportsmen across the country. There are limited opportunities for hunting this bird, as its geographic range is restricted to, roughly, the southern half of Florida. The availability of this subspecies in the areas in question presents a golden opportunity to increase tourism and the associated economic impacts to area businesses and residents.

All told, there are compelling reasons, based on reality and facts, that would seem to make the decision to open these areas an easy one. Please do not let emotion and hyperbole sway you. Hunting is a legitimate and treasured recreational pastime for millions of us. With the proper considerations and precautions, it is compatible with any other use of these areas. I would encourage you to consider it with an open mind.

Thank you for your time and attention to my concerns
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Wow that is an excellent letter. I really appreciate your efforts Jim.

I left my comments on the website. A lot of people have. At least the Internet has given the working man a chance to voice his oppinion.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

You are most welcome, Doug. Keep up the good fight, buddy! All of us need to do our part.
Jim

....By the way, I went to the website to comment and I looked at the presentation made by your group. That was fantastic! One of the best presentations for justifying hunting that I have ever seen. Kudos to whoever put that together!
swFLbeardchaser

Post by swFLbeardchaser »

Doug,
Thanks for posting the comment link. I found out about the hearing the morning of and had a work conflict which did not allow me to attend. I was glad to hear SWFWMD was considering this, and also was glad to hear that there was a good turn out. They control a ton of great hunting property and I truely hope they open these lands up to hunting (especially) and other outdoor recreation activites. Even if the hunts are low number quota type hunts. Shame to see all that beautiful land just sitting there.
I've shared this link with all the guys I hunt with. Thanks again.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Welcome to the site. Yes I agree it would be awesome to have limited entry hunts. The FWC knows how to manage. I hope they let them manage the properties.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”