Peabody WMA?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
madmike1977

Peabody WMA?

Post by madmike1977 »

Going to be heading to western Kentucky this spring to hunt Peabody WMA and maybe Land Between the Lakes ( just to say I`ve been there).

Just wondering if anybody has been on peabody and knows what kind of pressure i should expect from the first couple days of the season? Also what the turkey numbers are like there?
Gobblerstopper

Re: Peabody WMA?

Post by Gobblerstopper »

I have killed a lot of birds on Peabody. The pressure is about like any other public ground the first few days of season. It has gotten a lot worse over the years. First year i was there, i saw one other person. Over the years we had to keep finding new spots. If someone sees a vehicle it makes them think its a good spot to check out. If you go before season to scout, don't be mislead by the lack of people you see scouting. They will be there when season opens.

What unit are you hunting? One of the problems with Peabody is that there are so many roads, it's hard to get away from people. They have good maps, but even those have a few access points that are not on the map ;). There are a good number of birds there though. Actually there are a lot of birds there.
madmike1977

Post by madmike1977 »

I`m not sure which unit we are hunting yet but are staying in central city. Not trying to get you to give up any of your spots but you think you could point towards one of the less pressured areas? We are driving out the day before the season opens and will not have time to scout.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

I spent a week at each place for the last three years....don't waste your time...too many people and any bird that does is immediately surrounded by a ton of hunters..you can do better, stay in the mountain of the south center part of the state.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”