Memories of turkeys past..

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Memories of turkeys past..

Post by Hoobilly »

thinking of gobbler memories.. the ones that bring a smile, or a chuckle..

1st turkey I kilt had crows dive bomb it..
2nd came out of the fog lit up like a light bulb
3rd my wrist hurt for a week I held the gun so long..

another I wing shot as it rocketed up from tall grass (had been already shot once and flew off)
a friends gobbler that we never set down to hunt, flew down 25 yards as we stood there listening for a tom to sound off

hot windy day, I kee kee'd and had a gobbler run up to me, (standing up next to a tree looking over a open field) shot him before he made it back to the woods.

my daughters first (where she whispered "come to momma"

KY 15 minute flash hunt with my cousin, who I told him how hard it would be to hunt due to the terrain and not knowing where the turkeys would be at. 6 hr trip from Indiana and as soon as we get half way up the mountain..bang

so many memories, and now I am feeling the itch to get winter over with.

NCMike had called me this morning, talking MKW trumpets and we drifted to Permar and the kee'r
and how I had killed a gobbler with a Kee Kee whistle (turkey duster brand) the other memories just started hitting me.

Man I love turkey hunting!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Memories of turkeys past..

Post by Shooter »

Oh Man, don't you know it!! I could waste a whole day thinking of memories of Goofy Turkeys.
Would have loved to have been there, to hear your daughter say that! :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Shooter wrote:Oh Man, don't you know it!! I could waste a whole day thinking of memories of Goofy Turkeys.
Would have loved to have been there, to hear your daughter say that! :thumbup:
I doubt I hear anything funnier while out hunting critters come from a kid

I did see a triple bearded gobbler today.. my daughter grabbed my rifle and said for me to shoot it. I laughed and said its not turkey season.
she replies.. thats the biggest beard you'll ever get if you shoot it. :lol:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Reading your memories pulled some of mine up.

Called in a big gobbler for a buddy of mine's first bird. He was set up in a depression a few yards ahead & left of me beside a creekbed. That gobbler hung up on a power line cut 80 yards away for 45 minutes and must have gobbled at least 300 times. I coaxed him in to 35 yards, but my buddy couldn't see to shoot for the honeysuckle blocking his view. Gobbler turned and went back to the powerlines. I waited until the bird turned away & quickly hopped in the creekbed and cutt on my old Lynch like crazy while moving down the creek. That gobbler couldn't stand it, spun around, and walked to within 30 yards. My buddy busted him and it started flopping. I told him the bird was dead and not going anywhere, but he made the mistake of grabbing the bird's feet as it flopped. It laid the palm of his hand open about 3 stitches worth.

Was calling a gobbler one morning and heard another hunter across the property line making some of the worst calls I ever heard. A gobbler fired up on my calls and started coming my way. I also heard the other hunter cross onto my lease and keep trying to draw that bird to him. The gobbler kept coming towards me, but so did the other hunter. Right about the time I started getting worried about getting shot by a trespassing, no-calling fool, the gobbler showed up straight in front, sprinting towards me. The no calling fool I heard was a real hen who was also looking for the hen she'd heard. When I busted that gobbler the hen was standing just a few feet behind me. She flew so close over my head I could feel the wind from her wings.

Was drawn down on a big gobbler that had run up the powerlines looking for the hen he'd heard. He blew up into strut, so I putted once on a mouth call to bring his head up. Right when I dropped the hammer I saw movement behind him and next thing I knew there was two turkeys flopping. Another bird I hadn't seen ran up behind the other right when I shot. The bird I shot was 22 pounds 10 ounces and the other was 21. 5 pounds. Forty four+ pounds of turkey with one shot from my old Stevens single shot. My buddy tagged & kept one of them because NC has a one bird per day limit.

One henned up gobbler courtesy gobbled in return to my calls as he followed his hens off the property. Over an hour after I made my last calls to him and he'd moved away, he came back in silent and gobbled less than 10 feet behind me. It liked to have blown my cap off. I almost jumped out of my skin, but I didn't move enough to get busted. Three minutes and 20 yards later, he died.

Had a gobbler jump up on the log I was set up against and blow up into strut about 25 feet away. It was freaking spectacular. I couldn't move & had to let him go. I got him at 11 yards the next time I hunted there before he got the chance to hop up on that log.

Jim
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Your daughter one is classic.

Just to many to recount. But one that will stick in my head forever is:

Sitting on a mountain ridge back in 1958 for my first turkey hunt (fall) with my grandfather.
We had walked about 4 miles that morning looking for turkey sign. We took a break for lunch and he started a fire for his coffee. After lunch he offered me a chew of tobacco. Of source I wanted to man up in front of my grandfather and took a bite. After about 2 minutes my head started spinning and I threw up. He had a good laugh about that. I on the other hand still trying to man up said, it must have been the boloney and cheese sandwiches. Well after about another 3 miles we found some sign, but being late in the day he said we will pick up the next day from a spot he thought they would be at. Yes they were there the next day and we got a bust. It seemed like forever but the birds started regrouping after only about 45 mins. I missed but grandpa was true with his shot. Nice Jake.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”