Reaping

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Reaping

Post by Gobbler »

:shock: Don't rile up the Bowhunters. :mrgreen:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

:scratch: Bow or Crossbow. :stir:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I don't think anyone needs to get too bent out of shape over the discussion here. I'm sure not pushing for legislation. They're about to do away with blaze orange requirements for those over 18 in MT.....they sure aren't worried about turkey fans endangering someone.
I prefer to call, but have on occasion crawled on em (no fan) knowing that wasn't the safest option. My way isn't the only way and don't really care how someone else wants to do it. I am, however, disappointed that we are steadily gravitating towards whatever makes it easier and puts me closer to a guarantee. There is less and less intetest in learning to actually hunt, and this tactic appears to increase interest in driving around, spotting a strutter, and flashing a fan for a guaranteed rush.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I'm guilty of the lets make it easier thing.I think I would enjoy it more if I got back to my roots.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

redarrow wrote:I'm guilty of the lets make it easier thing.I think I would enjoy it more if I got back to my roots.
Not sure what people would think of you in a loin cloth with a club :mrgreen:
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

if I ever get the chance I might try reaping/fanning. I don't hunt open areas very often :( so I might not get the chance for a while. still, I don't think reaping could compare to a good old school call em up and bust em. :D
El Sicario
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I wish they would outlaw ALL decoys. I bet spring kill totals would drop by 75%. Most would be lost without them. And it would be extremely funny to read the chaos that would erupt on these turkey forums. :lol:
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
redarrow wrote:I'm guilty of the lets make it easier thing.I think I would enjoy it more if I got back to my roots.
Not sure what people would think of you in a loin cloth with a club :mrgreen:

there would be a mass exodus of hunters to Indiana.. so please keep the camouflage on. LOL
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

MKW wrote:I wish they would outlaw ALL decoys. I bet spring kill totals would drop by 75%. Most would be lost without them. And it would be extremely funny to read the chaos that would erupt on these turkey forums. :lol:
How else could you consistently kill henned up, educated, gobbled out, call shy birds. :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

guesswho wrote:
MKW wrote:I wish they would outlaw ALL decoys. I bet spring kill totals would drop by 75%. Most would be lost without them. And it would be extremely funny to read the chaos that would erupt on these turkey forums. :lol:
How else could you consistently kill henned up, educated, gobbled out, call shy birds. :lol:
Most wouldn't. They are super smart birds after all. :roll:
Ultimate Predator
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

MKW wrote:
guesswho wrote:
Most wouldn't. They are super smart birds after all. :roll:
Unkillable! Just too educated. ;)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Yep,no call,no deke ,no bird,noo bird for you,Next :lol:
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Not my cup of coffee. Besides my belly/knee crawling days were over long ago.
MeadowCreekMounts

Post by MeadowCreekMounts »

I've never had the desire, nor will I ever, to shoot at a turkey fan. If all you had to do was hit the fan, not the head, our patterning would be a lot easier.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I could use the fan to cool off on a hot May afternoon. Fighting the urge to say, "I do declare..." would be the difficult part.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:I could use the fan to cool off on a hot May afternoon. Fighting the urge to say, "I do declare..." would be the difficult part.
Bless your little heart.. :lol:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

MKW wrote:I wish they would outlaw ALL decoys. I bet spring kill totals would drop by 75%. Most would be lost without them.
You are probably right.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

hawglips wrote:
MKW wrote:I wish they would outlaw ALL decoys. I bet spring kill totals would drop by 75%. Most would be lost without them.
You are probably right.[/quote)

I think Alabama was one of the last States to allow decoys and I believe that was not many years ago.

I wish they would do away with the spring season and just have longer fall/winter seasons. Seriously, not just :stir: Of course with restrictions in some states and areas.

We all may revert back to the old school days except I may now be really reverting back wearing Depends. :D

But I do love the more beautiful every thing new and fresh spring days and hearing that bird tell you exactly where he is. Saves a lot of boot leather from hunting them. :wink:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Greyghost wrote: I wish they would do away with the spring season and just have longer fall/winter seasons. Seriously, :stir:
Well, that would solve a lot of problems for me. I could get back into fishing,...and throw all these turkey calls away... :toothy7:
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Heres my opinion, and for the record, I love cranking up and killing gobbling turkeys in the woods. I don't fool with decoys much at all. But, for a new hunter that has no clue how to turkey hunt, how does he learn? He will probably go pick up some turkey hunting dvds, which include blind hunting and reaping 90% of the hunts. Next, he will go buy a Flextone Thunder chicken and a B Mobile and go to reaping. Just my opinion, but if the TV shows would get back to the basics of turkey hunting, I truly believe the new guys would follow suit. I don't condemn anybody for any tactic that is legal. But if we are looking at grand scheme of things the reason the reaping is so popular is because you get on youtube or hunting channel and thats what you see. Outlawing decoys isn't the answer in my opinion.. (they really help with taking kids giving that gobbler something else to look at when he gets in range). Showing people another way and fun way by actually calling the turkey is what needs to be shown more in the turkey hunting show world.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

This thread has killed my membership drive. :LMAO:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Gobbler wrote:This thread has killed my membership drive. :LMAO:
That and no mass "ban" drives at OG. ;)
Gil
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Wait, you can kill em w/o dekes?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal and I ran calls tonight for 45 minutes or so for our exciting Friday night.. Went and cuddled up and put in a well know DVD series movie.. They were debuting a new strutter in this year. First 3-4 hunts were youths in a blind all killed easily.. Next hunt or 2 was adults same scenario.. Than one morning a person I well respect in regards to calling and turkey vocalizations ditched the strutter and blind he had personally used in a few of the hunts before and had 3 birds in gun range that morning but one shot, the one with the strutter and blind.. The 2 birds he could not get to step out of the timber and into the field in gun range..

Sal shut the DVD off knowing what was coming..
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: Sal shut the DVD off knowing what was coming..
LOL! Is that when you got the stiffy? ;)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”