Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Fatmo

Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine

Post by Fatmo »

Every year before the season starts, one of my rituals is to purchase TATH. I feel the magazine is going down hill fast! Is it possible for it to be any thinner? Over half is full page adds that should pay for the magazine itself along with a few good articles and what new gimmicks are on the market. Is Deer and Deer Hunting getting to be the same??? :x :x :x :x
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine

Post by soiltester »

Deer & Deer Hunting is one of the main productions and T & TH is just their secondary publishing, at least that's what the owners & editors view it as!! :banghead: :slap:

They might as well discontinue it altogether ;)

I won't ever subscribe to it again after the last go around :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

They did discontinue it I think, then brought it back on a more limited basis. It’s clearly not a priority for them.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

Maybe Spencer can provide some first hand information. I remember last year he said they were planning 3 issues for this year. The one I picked up on Sunday just says Spring 2018. This leads me to believe it's a one and done.
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Stopped publishing a few years ago. Guys that renewed got the stupid deer mag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I don't think you can buy a subscription anymore because they discontinued the mag as stated above. However, they did have two editions on the shelf last spring. Maybe a Spring edition and an April or something like that. They weren't thick, but there were still good articles in them. I liked to have never found them here in MT.
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

I was a long, long time subscriber, and disappointed when it was canceled. I'm a big Jim Spencer fan, another one of our turkey hunting literary greats, so I'll support Mr. Spencer anyway I can. I'm buying off the news stand if his work is in it.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I did get 1 issue last March I believe. Looking everywhere and a Cumberland Farms had a few. Hope there are more issues for this Spring as well. I actually still have the very 1st issue from 1991. Keep this post going and somebody please post here if Turkey And Turkey Hunting will be out this Spring and when.
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

was a long time subscriber as well, was disappointed when they did away with it, I did see, on another forum I guess, that the spring issues they publish have old articles in them. I'll have to keep an eye open for a spring 18 issue to check it out.
you never know, unless you go

David
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

Stupid deer is all they care about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Magazines are struggling right now and I dont see it getting any better. You'd be crazy to try a magazine start up right now.
southern_leo

Post by southern_leo »

I've quit buying magazines for the most part. Sometimes an article catches my eyes but typically I can find the info online for free. That being said I always liked getting magazines in the mail, although the reason I quit subscribing was not because the internet but instead was because prices went up and more pages became ads. Why would I want to buy something with 50%+ ads? With as many ads are put in these days the magazines should be free. Greed is putting them out of business imo. If someone came out with a magazine with a plethora of information along with some ads I'd probably subscribe, even if it was sent every couple months or so.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Internet is killing everything
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: February 27th, 2018, 9:18 am Internet is killing everything
...just not Rover Pipeline updates thank God. :roll:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Jim Spencer

Post by Jim Spencer »

Yep, this year it's a one and done. They had planned to put out 3 or maybe 4 issues and I had assignments for 3 of them. The stuffed shirts in the ivory tower evidently don't attach much importance to turkey hunting or turkey hunters. Idiots abound, it seems. Thanks for the nice words regarding Bad Birds. I still have some copies of both my turkey books for sale on my website, www.treblehookunlimited.com.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Jim Spencer wrote: March 25th, 2018, 10:12 pm Yep, this year it's a one and done. They had planned to put out 3 or maybe 4 issues and I had assignments for 3 of them. The stuffed shirts in the ivory tower evidently don't attach much importance to turkey hunting or turkey hunters. Idiots abound, it seems. Thanks for the nice words regarding Bad Birds. I still have some copies of both my turkey books for sale on my website, www.treblehookunlimited.com.

Just picked up a 2018 Spring Edition of T&TH at Cabella's in Kalispell. The only thing I've read so far is your Bad Birds - The Sundance Kid. I liked it, but I've got a soft spot for Merriam's. I like seeing public land Merriam'so given a little credit now and then.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I was a long time subscriber and really miss T&TH magazine. The website forum was fun before the magazine went down too. It was interesting to read quality articles about how other dedicated hunters pursued birds on the different locations turkeys can be found.

Jim
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

I really enjoyed TT&H I was a subscriber for years. When they did away with it I was left starving for turkey articles!! The only "turkey mag" out now is one filled with advertisements and one page cliff notes. Sad.

I did pick up this years TT&H and once again Jim's BB is one of my favorites.

I have to agree the internet is killing books.
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Jim Spencer wrote: March 25th, 2018, 10:12 pm Yep, this year it's a one and done. They had planned to put out 3 or maybe 4 issues and I had assignments for 3 of them. The stuffed shirts in the ivory tower evidently don't attach much importance to turkey hunting or turkey hunters. Idiots abound, it seems. Thanks for the nice words regarding Bad Birds. I still have some copies of both my turkey books for sale on my website, www.treblehookunlimited.com.
Thanks Jim .. got a copy headed my way!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I am going to look for the 2018 Spring Edition. Walmart did not have it. I was a long time subscriber as well. Miss that mag and also --American Wild Turkey News. Both are now gone except for a limited edition. Someone here wrote that the 2018 issue is really thin. If it is like 12 pages or so, I probably wont buy it.
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Its more than 12 pages, but I wish it were more. However, it was only 4.99, so worth the price. Its nothing groundbreaking, but its turkey hunting reading material.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”