What?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
allaboutshooting

What?

Post by allaboutshooting »

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What?

Post by pullit »

Hearing protection is overlooked by many, thanks for posting this.
I use custom molded ear pugs when shooting in competition and when going to the rifle range use both plugs and muffs.
I think I may have waited a little too long before taking hearing protection seriously.
One other place I have started wearing muffs is when cutting grass. I am trying to protect what I have left but I wish I had started sooner.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I waited too late myself. Totally deaf in my right ear.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Howard - Leight muffs have proven to be superior to the walkers in every way I can think of from price to sound quality to directional identification to ease of operation.
Not sure if you tested then or not since you didn't say which the other ones tested were in the article.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have a pair of Walkers that I bought off of Ricky. I wear them deer hunting, but not while turkey hunting. They are ok, but I think I'm fortunate enough to have pretty decent hearing. I mainly wear them for protection rather than the hearing enhancement. It seems like they amplify everything too much and it makes it hard to pinpoint the noise. The other drawback is the bulk of them. They can get in the way of your rifle stock.

Kevin

Clark,

As previously said, it's always good to pass on info on products, etc.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I have a pair of Walkers that I bought off of Ricky. I wear them deer hunting, but not while turkey hunting. They are ok, but I think I'm fortunate enough to have pretty decent hearing. I mainly wear them for protection rather than the hearing enhancement. It seems like they amplify everything too much and it makes it hard to pinpoint the noise. The other drawback is the bulk of them. They can get in the way of your rifle stock.

Kevin

Clark,

As previously said, it's always good to pass on info on products, etc.
That big ol head of your gets in the way of the rifle stock. :lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
allaboutshooting

Re:

Jamey wrote:Howard - Leight muffs have proven to be superior to the walkers in every way I can think of from price to sound quality to directional identification to ease of operation.
Not sure if you tested then or not since you didn't say which the other ones tested were in the article.
I was looking for very low profile muffs that I could use primarily with shotguns for range work and in competition. I have several pairs of electronic muffs that I use with hand guns but they are too bulky for long guns.

I did have some of the Howard Leight muffs and they were quite good, as were all of them. For me it came down to which set felt best and allowed me to shoulder the gun easily without hitting the muffs.

I'm glad you've found the Howard Leight muffs to work so well for you.

Thanks,
Clark
allaboutshooting

One other place I have started wearing muffs is when cutting grass. I am trying to protect what I have left but I wish I had started sooner.
I started wearing hearing protection when cutting the grass too. Lawn mowers, string trimmers and edgers are all very loud. The noise is also pretty constant and I noticed that the "crickets" were worse after a grass cutting session.

All we can do now is try to protect what we have left. i waited a little too long as well.

Thanks,
Clark
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

SPEAK UP RED, TALK INTO MY LEFT EAR......I CAN'T HEAR YOU :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”