GobblerNation.com   Forum   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Current Weather   Calendar   Gobbler Directory  

Here's a quick link to 2014 Gobbler Nation Turkey Hunting Contest forums

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the GobblerNation.com Rules & Terms

It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question re TSS
PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 9:10 pm 

Over at the other place, there was a comment made on the "reloading section leaving" thread re questionable radiation levels in the TSS. Is this something I should be concerned with or not. I'm just started reloading shot shells and TSS and never heard anything about this before. I'm a lymphoma survivor and got pelted with radium injection pet scans, cat scans, and chemo in 2006 and scans every few months for 5 years so I take stuff like this seriously.

Thanks Killdee

PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 9:28 pm 

You have nothing to worry about. There is less radiation in 20lbs of TSS, than your body receives on a daily basis just living a normal life.

Post subject: Re: Question re TSS
PostPosted: July 16th, 2012, 11:36 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Who started that radioactive crap anyway???

I was on the China Tungstens website the other day, and they were explaining all the uses for tungsten. One of it's valuable uses is for making the best radiation shielding for Dental practices.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 5:46 am 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The nonsense about radiation was started by Big Bird over there. He was staying true to form and just making things up.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 7:26 am 

I don't know Hal, the more I'm around that TSS, the more I want to shove it down into these little colored plastic cylinders. I'm not sure if that is the radiation causing it, but I can't seem to stop so it has to be something. :lol:

Tim

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 8:34 am 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Shooter wrote:
Who started that radioactive crap anyway???

I was on the China Tungstens website the other day, and they were explaining all the uses for tungsten. One of it's valuable uses is for making the best radiation shielding for Dental practices.

as the TSS is imported from China, and knowing how strict our HomeLand security laws are on radioactive materials coming into the USA, I would say there is no problem. For if there was, it wouldn't get delivered to the reloaders and would be confiscated.

Anything that will set off the alarms won't make it inland.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

hawglips wrote:
The nonsense about radiation was started by Big Bird over there. He was staying true to form and just making things up.

BTW, he got called to task by a member and made to look like the fool he is, and they promptly deleted the thread.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm 

Spuriosity wrote:
hawglips wrote:

BTW, he got called to task by a member and made to look like the fool he is, and they promptly deleted the thread.

That guy would have been me.................I think. After I made the post, I really didn't go back too many times to read other comments and just went back and noticed the thread was gone. Didn't intend to make anyone look like a fool, just that I get tired of the un-true comments being thrown around. We get it..........they don't like TSS shot and what can be done with it.

Heck......I don't even shoot the stuff. At least not yet!!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 4:40 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

LOL, then do not even try some, because once you try it, you will never go back.
I was perfectly happy with Hevishot and NP/CP before.
I can not remember how I found Kyle's site, but at that time TSS was $24 a lb,... and I thought that was way too high.
I should have never bought those few lbs from him,...lol.
My very first shot at a Turkey, did it for life for me. I did not know Hal or any of you at the time, so I had just used my Hevi experience and some of Kyle's notes, to come up with a start.
It was a 3" 2oz of 5x7 mix.
I killed the first turkey with these at 55yds,..stone dead. I was amazed at this, cause I can remember years ago, chasing turkeys through the woods tackling them,...lol
After I stood up after picking my mouth off the ground, I noticed an innocent bystander at double the distance, had taken a pellet and was down too. I'm thinkin, WTF !!

That one instance/shot, did it for me, for life. Probably for you too after you shoot it.
I guess that is why I'm having a hard time, getting away from 5s,...lol

Take care guy's, Tommy

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 5:51 pm 

Shooter wrote:
I killed the first turkey with these at 55yds,..stone dead. I was amazed at this, cause I can remember years ago, chasing turkeys through the woods tackling them,...lol
After I stood up after picking my mouth off the ground, I noticed an innocent bystander at double the distance, had taken a pellet and was down too. I'm thinkin, WTF !!

That one instance/shot, did it for me, for life. Probably for you too after you shoot it.
I guess that is why I'm having a hard time, getting away from 5s,...lol

Take care guy's, Tommy

This brings up an interesting point. Last year in the fall season I shot 2 birds in Michigan. They were in a field on my side of a small ridge or hill. After the shot I got up and saw a buddy approaching. He was bowhunting deer and saw the birds so decided to put a stalk on them. He told me when I shot the first bird he heard pellets go wizzing over his head and hit the dirt. He wanted to know what ammo I was using because he couldn't believe how far the shot had killed the second turkey and out of a 20 gauge. I am not sure how much damage a TSS pellet would do at 80 yds to a human but kinda makes ya think.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 6:17 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

timbrhuntr wrote:
I am not sure how much damage a TSS pellet would do at 80 yds to a human but kinda makes ya think.

I would not want to be on the receiving end of any size TSS at 80 yds. Same thing goes for the Federal HWT 5s, 6s, or 7s. They are gonna leave a mark.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 6:43 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

hawglips wrote:
timbrhuntr wrote:
I am not sure how much damage a TSS pellet would do at 80 yds to a human but kinda makes ya think.

I would not want to be on the receiving end of any size TSS at 80 yds. Same thing goes for the Federal HWT 5s, 6s, or 7s. They are gonna leave a mark.

Thats why I shake my head at some of the dumb laws our state has on shot size..
nothing less than 4's and can't use higher than 6's.

Could you imagine a #6TSS, let alone a #4TSS at 100 yards?

The laws are so far behind.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 9:13 pm 

Killdee I dont know what is in it or if it will hurt or kill you. I just know I will not stand at 100 let you fire this at me.

Attachments:
killdee 1 (329x550).jpg
killdee 1 (329x550).jpg [ 246.33 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 9:17 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Awesome!

That is Killdee's Remington 20 ga with the 1-5/8 oz load of 9s, if I'm not confused. William, that's with your choke, correct?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 9:34 pm 

Grunt-N-Gobble wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:
hawglips wrote:

That guy would have been me.................I think. After I made the post, I really didn't go back too many times to read other comments and just went back and noticed the thread was gone. Didn't intend to make anyone look like a fool, just that I get tired of the un-true comments being thrown around. We get it..........they don't like TSS shot and what can be done with it.

Heck......I don't even shoot the stuff. At least not yet!!!!! :mrgreen:

So you are "rio_wrangler" on OG?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 9:39 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

SumToy wrote:
Killdee I dont know what is in it or if it will hurt or kill you. I just know I will not stand at 100 let you fire this at me.

Sweet.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 9:44 pm 

Hal that is his 21 inch 870. It is one of our new 570 F chokes with the forcing cone cut. I let him or you fill in folks about the load.
That is your world. :salute:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:09 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

That's out of a 20??? WOW!!!!

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:13 pm 

SumToy wrote:

What kind of numbers are holding in the 20"?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:19 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

slickyboyboo wrote:
SumToy wrote:

Piss on the 20", That turkey is already in the freezer!!!

Sorry Barry, couldn't help myself,...lol

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:29 pm 

Shooter wrote:
slickyboyboo wrote:
SumToy wrote:

Piss on the 20", That turkey is already in the freezer!!!

Sorry Barry, couldn't help myself,...lol

:toothy7:

It put 221 in the 20. I like to take all the credit for it but I think this one of them 1 out of 100 guns. Now I got one more of the chokes that we should get some feed back on in a few. I know this thing was smoking. lol

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:43 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Will,... I need one of those magic chokes for my cheapo Stoeger 2000.
It has been doing well with the factory flush full at .685 with TSS for the last 4 years, but I am always looking for Better.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 10:47 pm 
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

600 pellets in 1 5/8 is a touch high. If thats the load then all pellets and then some are in the 20" ring.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 11:09 pm 

Johndoe wrote:
600 pellets in 1 5/8 is a touch high. If thats the load then all pellets and then some are in the 20" ring.

I ask the same thing. I try to post the big pic but it not load but not say it to big. I did get 30 on the outside of the 20. That is all that was in that paper. This one was the biggest one we have had. I know we had a Moss O/U gun mid 300. I not know as of now if about the set up. I will try this gun with a few other loads to see if I can tell if it is the gun or shell.

Like I said yall the shell guys I dont know much about them. I learn from yall on them. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 11:25 pm 

Shooter wrote:
Will,... I need one of those magic chokes for my cheapo Stoeger 2000.
It has been doing well with the factory flush full at .685 with TSS for the last 4 years, but I am always looking for Better.

That was what I was thinking. I know we put a 682 in alot of the small bore guns with the 9's. Now I jumped a nova up the a 696 to open it up. It was like a 50/50 pattern. I liked it as a hunting pattern.