Federal TSS.

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
czmmorgan

Federal TSS.

Post by czmmorgan » April 15th, 2018, 7:26 am

I got my hands on a couple of Federals TSS 3.5 inch 2.25 oz #7 loads. Inside was 2.322 oz of shot that include the buffer. The "Flight Control" wad and 50 grains of powder. No Mylar or anything else. Just shot, buffer, wad, and powder. I shot one of these as well through my 835 with a Indian Creek .665 and the pattern was pretty good but I hate that wad. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gar Commander

Re: Federal TSS.

Post by Gar Commander » April 15th, 2018, 7:57 am

What I am curious to know about these new Federal TSS shells is this; is anyone experiencing the lip of the shells being ripped where the extractor pulls the hull out and are any of the primers backing out partially or fully? I have experienced both of these situations on some of my loads where every component was checked on multiple scales before loading to be absolutely certain that the exact amount of shot and powder called for by the recipe are used. Also, the shells are weighed afterwards and all weigh very very close to the same overall amount. Is it crappy hulls we are being supplied? This is on 20 ga hulls being shot in autoloader guns.

WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA » April 15th, 2018, 9:15 am

Gar, I had the same problem shooting Hal's Big 20 NC Speed load in federal hulls through my Beretta 391 youth gun. In addition the gun would sometimes not load the second shell from the magazine. I replaced the action spring in the butt and got a set of gas bleed off valve springs from Cole Gunsmiths and installed the spring designed for heavy loads that bleeds off more gas. Now the gun functions fine and I have no rim ripping and no primer back out. I think the recoil was so great that it was just making the action work way too fast.

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » April 15th, 2018, 10:17 am

Does the powder look familiar?

Did you smash any of the pellets with pliers?

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS » April 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm

The major ammo companies have proprietary powders made for them by the powder companies. No way to tell by appearance the equivalent of what's available to reloaders. Gil

czmmorgan

Post by czmmorgan » April 16th, 2018, 5:52 pm

I did smash a pellet and it appeared to be TSS. It didn't deform in any way

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jryser

Post by jryser » April 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I shot one of the 3 1/2 inch Federal TSS our of my 12 gauge Beretta A400 Extreme. Never again. Got 9 shells left and will stay in my safe until someone wants em!! My Sweet 16 Browning Auto 5 is patterning perfectly at 50 yards with 1/2 the kick. Using that gun this year!

https://youtu.be/vu2a5fxqiMc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”