TSS buckshot opinions

Talk about handloading, patterns, and commercial shells/ammo here.
hookinembig

Re: TSS buckshot opinions

Post by hookinembig » December 4th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Quick update for you guys on the shells I loaded.

I ended up loading 4 of the straight BB loads in Hal's(hawglips) 1 3/4 oz. load and 4 BB and T duplex loads in Hal's(hawglips) 1 3/4 oz load.

The target was set at 50 yards and was roughly 36" x 36"

I was shooting my Mossberg 12 gauge with a kicks buck kicker extra full choke which is a .690 constriction I believe.

1st shot with just the BB load got 40 pellets in on the target.
2nd shot after adjusting red dot sight with the straight BB load 56 pellets on the target.(Only lost 6 pellets give or take)
3rd shot with the duplex of BB and T shot got 37 pellets on the target.

The second shot my best 20 inch circle had 31 pellets in it.
The third shot my best 20 inch circle had 29 pellets in it. (Appeared that the BB&T load held a tiny bit tighter pattern with that choke)

It was getting dark so we had to call it quits for the day. But very confident in the patterns at 10 to 50 yards

After shooting at 50 yards a 80 yard shot would really be out there with just a red dot reflex sight. So 60 yards might be it for me.

I still have some more testing to do and will probably try my turkey choke which is a Indian Creek .660 restriction to see what happens as well. I went ahead and loaded all of the shells with without duplexing them. So we did 16 BB loads and 8 T loads. I will probably run 2 BB loads and my third shot will be the T load while hunting. We use a homemade shot collector(made of carpet, a door mat, and old real estate signs) and I was able to collect almost 90 percent of my shot but my brother shot his remington 870 with a load and missed the target except for 3 pellets. We will be doing some testing with his gun as well with a different choke.

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » December 5th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Hookinembig,
Thanks for the update!
Sounds like a definite 60 yard killing machine. I do agree about 80 yard shots with a red dot, may be a little tough. That's why I said 60 yards for me in the first place. A low power scope would be much better at that range.

The patterns seemed to be good. I will be very curious how the straight T loads, and the others for that matter do in a tighter choke. Just to see what direction the patterns go......

Thanks again for the info, and keep us posted.

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » December 5th, 2017, 9:58 pm

I wonder if 80 yard shots on coyotes or deer in a field would work good with a red dot. Your not actually pinpointing a gobblers neck, so
a running deer or coyote would be like a CQCB weapon.. point and shoot.

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » December 6th, 2017, 8:13 am

I may be completely wrong, but if it was me, I would not shoot those loads through your IC unless you are ok with ruining it. I'd at least call them to see what they say. Those are big, very hard pellets. They're not going to shift around within the ejecta like 8s and 9s will. With the birdcage design of the IC choke, I could see it splitting pretty easily. Don't think the patterns are going to improve over the .690 anyway. But it's your choke, and again, I could be completely wrong.

hookinembig

Post by hookinembig » December 6th, 2017, 12:22 pm

After talking to Indian Creek they said they wouldn't recommend shooting those loads through the .660. So I will probably stay with what I have. My brother did order a cheaper carlsons choke that is .660 so maybe we will give it a try with his 870. I appreciate the heads up on that Spuriosity.

Hoobilly as far as a 80 yard shot I think you could kill a deer at that distance because it has been done. The main reason why I wanted to switch to the TSS for the buck shot is not so much the distance but the ability to kill effectively. I have shot deer in the past with regular buck shot at close distances and the effectiveness left a lot to be desired. Also the pellet count in commercial shells is so low it is even worse. After I see what the pattern looks like at 70-80 yards with the BB's or T's things may change but the max for now will be in the 50-60 yard range. I know it can kill at 80+ but I want to make sure the pattern is dense enough to be effective at killing quickly.

howl

Post by howl » December 6th, 2017, 12:37 pm

The trouble with buckshot, in my opinion, is lack of bloodtrail. I aim for the neck just like and for the same reasons as with gobblers. If they're flopping just ventilate the lungs with a knife. It don't take long. I'm kinda cheap like that, though. Most people just keep shooting. I ain't wasting a shell.

hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hoobilly » December 6th, 2017, 12:44 pm

hookinembig wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Hoobilly as far as a 80 yard shot I think you could kill a deer at that distance because it has been done. The main reason why I wanted to switch to the TSS for the buck shot is not so much the distance but the ability to kill effectively. I have shot deer in the past with regular buck shot at close distances and the effectiveness left a lot to be desired. Also the pellet count in commercial shells is so low it is even worse. After I see what the pattern looks like at 70-80 yards with the BB's or T's things may change but the max for now will be in the 50-60 yard range. I know it can kill at 80+ but I want to make sure the pattern is dense enough to be effective at killing quickly.
I have no doubt that tss will kill at 80 yards, I’m talking about the red dot being used at 80+ yards. As big as coyotes and deer are, a red dot should be no problem on standing or running critters

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » December 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm

hookinembig wrote:
December 6th, 2017, 12:22 pm
After talking to Indian Creek they said they wouldn't recommend shooting those loads through the .660. So I will probably stay with what I have. My brother did order a cheaper carlsons choke that is .660 so maybe we will give it a try with his 870. I appreciate the heads up on that Spuriosity.

Hookinembig,
Did Indian Creek say how small of a choke they would recommend for the BBs and Ts? In other words, how low of a constriction did they think could safely be used? .680, .690, etc?
Thanks

hookinembig

Post by hookinembig » December 6th, 2017, 3:22 pm

They didn't say the lowest they would recommend. I asked them about there .710 coyote choke and he said that one would be fine. The .690 from kicks I have looked fine after I shot it and cleaned it up but its designed for Buck shot although not TSS buck shot.

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » December 6th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Ok guys,
What is your opinion here on chokes?
Here is the situation.
I have 2 Indian creek chokes. One is a .680 ported without wad catchers, and one is a .710 without wad catchers.

I am going to shoot a 1.5 or 1.75 ounce load of straight T Shot.

Do you think the .680 will be too tight and be a danger of splitting with the bigger T Shot, which is .20 in diameter. Stuart at Indian Creek thought it would be ok, but I will trust what you guys say even more.

What is you guys opinion on choke diameter for this big shot. What do you think would be safe? Thanks

pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro » December 6th, 2017, 6:09 pm

My guess is the 710. The larger shot should like less construction.

Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity » December 7th, 2017, 8:58 am

Stuart knows more about his chokes than any of us do, so if he thinks the .680 would be ok, it probably is. But I would still start with the .710. It might be just the ticket.

hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips » December 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

I'd be surprised if wad catchers didn't get banged up real bad with the large sizes. I'd err on the side of opening the choke up a good deal more than with the turkey sizes.

I usually use a .700 (standard bore) with small sizes and turkeys anyway.

VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard » December 7th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it.

I actually called Indian Creek and spoke with them. The .680 may be a little tight for straight Ts. BBs, maybe okay. I am going to keep that choke anyways......might need it down the road, but won't be my first choice to use with straight Ts.

I actually custom ordered a .695 Indian Creek ported without wad catchers today. I have high hopes for that choke, but if it doesn't work out, I do have the .710 ported without wad catchers as well.

I agree with you Hal, the wad catchers would be ripped all to pieces with this size shot.....thats why I went no wad catchers on all three chokes, even the .680 doesn't have them. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Thanks to all for the opinions and input so far!

hookinembig

Post by hookinembig » December 8th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Another quick update for you guys.

We were able to get out and shoot my brothers Remington 870 this morning. He just received a carlsons .660 choke from amazon(30 some dollars and change) and it is ported. We only shot one load of TSS BB's and it put out a good pattern. He doesn't have a sight just the bead so we didn't want to shoot more until he gets a sight so we can adjust the point of aim. After shooting the load we inspected the choke for any damage or scores but it was in perfect condition.

On a 36 x 36 sheet of paper had 51 of the 61 pellets on target at 50 yards. I believe his best 20 inch circle was 24 pellets but I believe his best 10 inch circle was 17 pellets. So the 20 inch circle wasn't quite as dense as the .690 choke out of the mossberg 535 but his 10 inch pellet count was better. The concentration of pellets in the heart, lungs and liver area would have dropped the deer at 50 yards unless it was a monster or full of adrenaline.

After he gets his sight and everything straight we will do some more testing.

Return to “Handloading, Ammo & Patterns”