Youth recommendation

Talk about 20 28 gauge & .410 bore shotguns here.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Youth recommendation

Post by drenalinld »

I want to buy a youth model for my daughter. She will be 7 in April but is small for her age. Weird, I'm a giant? Anyway, leaning toward single bbl just for simplicity, light weight. Looking for experience, advice and/or recommendations. Unless I can buy a Blackhawk Knoxx style adjustable stock I will have to cut it off. I don't mind spending some money if it meant better options. I will load TSS for it and be happy with 30-35 yd performance. More interested in forgiveness. Would consider .410, 28 or 20.

What would you do? She weighs 48 lbs....lol
Bigspurs68

Re: Youth recommendation

Post by Bigspurs68 »

My girls started killing turkeys when they were 5 and 6. Both were very small and both started with a 3" 20 ga. A mossberg 500 youth with a red dot. They hav never said a peep about recoil when shooting a turkey.
That being said, I'd think a 20 ga 870 with a knox style stock and the good shooting load of your choice would be great. Shooting sticks too, of course.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

Buy her a .410. Load it with TSS and it will outperform most Men's 12 gauges with factory ammo with a LOT less recoil.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Normally I would recommend a gas auto for recoil reduction if shooting factory ammo, but in her case I think they are going to be too heavy. So I would opt for something short and reasonably light that she can grow into, probably a youth 870 or Mossy 500 in 20 ga. Since you are hand loading TSS, you can load down to 28 or .410 shot charges to keep recoil down, and the gun can grow with her as she gets bigger.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I am leaning toward youth 870 20 and add a Knoxx style stock. I wish someone made a youth model 28 ga. I like the break-open single barrel 410's for weight and size but would be giving up some forgiveness on shorter shots and certainly won't find an adjustable stock for one.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Just checked gunbroker. There are multiple H&R single barrel 28's & .410's new and used listed for under $200. My bias is toward the 28 but I just love that gauge. I've killed turkeys way out there w/T9's. BTW, they also have a .410 used w/a red dot and youth stock already on it listed too. The patterns these guys are getting in .410 are amazing. I started my kids w/ 11-87 20's at 7-8 yrs. using handloaded HEVISHOT but they were much bigger than 48#!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I would be all about a 28 ga if I could find it in the smaller youth size. Would still have to cut the butt stock but I ain't skeered.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Something to consider is buy the reg size 28ga and cut both stock and barrel off. You could then thread the barrel for choketubes. At the price point of H&R you could get it all done pretty cheap.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Not a bad idea to cut off an H&R 28 ga bbl and stock. I'm liking that idea.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

drenalinld wrote:I would be all about a 28 ga if I could find it in the smaller youth size. Would still have to cut the butt stock but I ain't skeered.
Not sure about the quality, but here's a couple youth model 28's.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/akk ... 36220.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/charles ... 24190.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/charles ... 37410.html
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Consider the 20 gauge Super Bantam Mossberg. It comes camoed, drilled and tapped with a youth stock that can be increased in LOP or reduced with removable inserts. A certificate enclosed allows purchase of an adult stock at discount. Weight is 5.25 lbs. I had one as my main gun for several seasons. I now prefer single shots. With the Kyle Smith 1 oz load (with 9 TSS), it is a legitimate 50 yard gun. I have several 28 gauges. While 28 is a nice gauge, a 20 can do everything a 28 can do and more.
gil
Last edited by GLS on January 28th, 2015, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01Foreman400

Post by 01Foreman400 »

I'm in the same dilima as you. I've been gathering parts for over a year now. I've decided to get a 870 youth model. I've already got a FF3, 336 mount, several chokes to try and a Knoxx/Blackhawk Stock. I'll have it dipped in bottomland, trigger worked and the forcing cone lengthened (just to help with a little recoil). I've also got a 1 oz. TSS load. It'll be ready next year.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Youth recommendation

Post by drenalinld »

I really don't want an optic. I really like single shots for simplicity as a first gun. I am not a fan of Mossberg but will look at that one.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Youth recommendation

Post by drenalinld »

Also singles eliminate the action length.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Never shot a single that didn't kick more.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Yep JD, Lily's little 5 and a half lb double 20 is light and easy to swing, but kicks like a Mule.
I would probably get a cheap 410 for a few years, then trade up for a nice 20.
According to Ricky, those TSS 410s got some punch to em!!! :lol:
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Never shot a single that didn't kick more
In the 28ga and .410 recoil while shooting at an animal is a non-issue.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Not to be argumentative but that can also be said about a 20 gauge.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Youth recommendation

Post by drenalinld »

I may be over thinking this but would prefer forgiveness inside 35 yards over extended range. I am thinking the smaller the gauge the less forgiveness?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Not to be argumentative but that can also be said about a 20 gauge
True, but we are talking about a 48 lb girl-child not my 85-90 lb boy who had been shooting a 7mm-08 for a year! The mass of the one receiving the blow of the recoil has a LOT to do with perceived recoil.

Dren, you're right that the smaller the bore the less forgiving simply due to fewer pellets. However, in the 28, you can load up to 1 5/16 oz T9's. You are right about a young one and sacrificing distance for pattern diameter. This can be accomplished by opening the choke. With an ImpCyl choke I have killed birds to 30 yds with it. It throws a wicked stream. With a tight choke, I've gone way out to get them.

BTW, if you're thinking about a H&r, I wouldn't wait too long. It appears that Remington may have ceased production of the H&r Handi-rifle and Topper shotguns.
HartClemson99

Youth recommendation

Post by HartClemson99 »

My first NEF 20 gauge I received when I was 12. It majorly bruised my shoulder after 3 shots. I was a tough kid, but it wasn't fun to shoot. Go with an automatic or smaller gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

Whichever gun you decide to go with make sure you get an adjustable shooting stick as well. The stick will make it much easier for your young one to steady the gun and maneuver for the shot on an approaching bird.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

DocHolliday wrote:
BTW, if you're thinking about a H&r, I wouldn't wait too long. It appears that Remington may have ceased production of the H&r Handi-rifle and Topper shotguns.
Not to get off subject.. But, Man say it aint so.. Great little guns.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Here's my 2 cents.

A 28 gauge is a gun that will shoot nearly as good as a 12 gauge on upland birds and small game using factory lead loads. For waterfowl and turkeys, if you're shooting TSS anyway, it will outperform the 12s that most folks are shooting. It's a gun for life, not just a kid's gun.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

It is true that the 28 is a versatile gauge, but it isn't inexpensive to shoot in the field at upland, doves or ducks. Unless one handloads for the 28, it is the most expensive gun from the standpoint of factory ammo to shoot. With rebates on AA's, it's still over $10-11 a box. Without, $12-13 for lead field loads at Wally World. .410 is in the same boat. Now for turkeys, not a bad deal if you handload. Ammo mfgs. are geared for 12 and 20; that's why it's close to break even at best to buy off the shelf than reload in those gauges for upland.

Return to “Small Bore”